Which Is The Best Place To Buy A Toyota Vigo In Cnx

Rsteeltje

We recently bought a new Toyota Fortuner in BKK (have contacts there) but we get all the scheduled maintenance done at the Toyota Nakornping Chiangmai Company opposite Makro Hong Dong on 108. They've been good to us (so far?).

Edited by ThaiWx

We recently bought a new Toyota Fortuner in BKK (have contacts there) but we get all the scheduled maintenance done at the Toyota Nakornping Chiangmai Company opposite Makro Hong Dong on 108. They've been good to us (so far?).

The price for a new Toyota will be the same from all dealers in Chiang Mai including Lampun. As for service I'll say Nakorning.

Thats where my Fortuner came from, no problems in the past 3 years

Toyota Vigo is crap, is has many issues, it cannot be imported in Europe because it fails on 4 our of 6 safety points. Brakes have problems, issues with the weight distribution and the diesel injectors... etc.

Forget Toyota, it a status symbol for Thais yes, but better go for an Isuzu if you want quality.

Edited by bangkokcitylimits

my suggestion is you go to Toyota SURE .

their selling second hand Toyota .. and you can get a PRE runner at Almost 200k discount or more and some have low milage as low as 3000-5000km depend on your luck .

is better you buy a second hand top model then a first hand new model .

please you do not need to Run in the engine for 500km -1000km yourself and it come with all the warranty of a Toyota service center .

What toyota do is there buy back good condition Cars and then replace all the part that is Old like anew cars for you .

so is sure worth the Deal .

Edited by Ta22

Toyota Vigo is crap, is has many issues, it cannot be imported in Europe because it fails on 4 our of 6 safety points. Brakes have problems, issues with the weight distribution and the diesel injectors... etc.

Forget Toyota, it a status symbol for Thais yes, but better go for an Isuzu if you want quality.

It may not be available in Europe but it has been available in the UK for years. It was reviewed by What Car magazine in 2005 & 2008. It is just referred to as Hilux.

Toyota Vigo/Hilux are manufactured for sell in Left had driving countries which Europe and 66.1% are not (right hand). In these other countries they go by other names and are manufactured else where. As for safety issues you sound as if you ate a lemon :lol:. Also Toyota has the number 1 resell value of any vehicle in Thailand car or truck :D . Everyone else is in second. Toyota is imported to the UK, New Zealand and Australia. Oh, Isuzu does manufacture out a fine vehicle.

Toyota Vigo/Hilux are manufactured for sell in Left had driving countries which Europe and 66.1% are not (right hand). In these other countries they go by other names and are manufactured else where. As for safety issues you sound as if you ate a lemon :lol:. Also Toyota has the number 1 resell value of any vehicle in Thailand car or truck :D . Everyone else is in second. Toyota is imported to the UK, New Zealand and Australia. Oh, Isuzu does manufacture out a fine vehicle.

Vigo as being produced for local market cannot be exported to Europe due to quality/safety issues. A Toyota made in Japan is a different, compare an Audi produced in Thailand with an German made one, or Mercedes now being produced in China is not as good as the ones from Germany etc.

Thinking of resell value, in Thailand a Toyota might be a good choice, I did no ate lemon no Margarita either but just ask any serious and independent dealer. Friends of mine sold their new Vigo within a half year, when breaking they heard strange sounds.

My personal opinion is, Toyota including that monstrous Fortuner is not a car for 'experienced' drivers more for retired expats with too much money and little taste regarding design or pushed by their girlie to choose a Toyo, hahaha lol.

Hope you enjoy your new purchase ;)

Edited by bangkokcitylimits

Vigo as being produced for local market cannot be exported to Europe due to quality/safety issues. A Toyota made in Japan is a different, compare an Audi produced in Thailand with an German made one, or Mercedes now being produced in China is not as good as the ones from Germany etc.

Thinking of resell value, in Thailand a Toyota might be a good choice, I did no ate lemon no Margarita either but just ask any serious and independent dealer. Friends of mine sold their new Vigo within a half year, when breaking they heard strange sounds.

My personal opinion is, Toyota including that monstrous Fortuner is not a car for 'experienced' drivers more for retired expats with too much money and little taste regarding design or pushed by their girlie to choose a Toyo, hahaha lol.

Sometimes I wonder why I settled in Chiang Mai, but then I read posts like this one and I think *YES*, that's exactly the talk I enjoy.

BTW: Germany is in Europe: http://www.toyota.de...ilux/index.aspx

How different do you suppose the Thai one is.. it likely has less airbags. But then just about any car has less airbags and other active safety features. Have a look at a Honda Jazz (Fit) in the USA; airbags all over the thing.

Anyway, nice talking.

(And then Mr. BangkokCityLimites put-putted off on his Honda. Honda Click. ... Because, elsewhere on the forum, today:

I got fined 350 baht for not wearing a helmet, went to police station to pay and

:cheesy:

Yes, those Toyota trucks sure are unsafe. :coffee1:

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

Crikey, wasgetting so carried away with the post above that I forgot to actually answer the question in the OP:

I would compare offers from various dealers and see what they'll throw in to sweeten the deal. Indeed the base price is the same, but there are all kinds of options that you may acquire for free including a year's insurance and all kinds of stuff you might bolt on to or in to your vehicle. And if you're trading in a vehicle then you may really have some bargaining room. Who will give you the best price often depends on how desperate the individual sales person is.

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

Sometimes I wonder why I settled in Chiang Mai, but then I read posts like this one and I think *YES*, that's exactly the talk I enjoy.

How different do you suppose the Thai one is.. it likely has less airbags. But then just about any car has less airbags and other active safety features. Have a look at a Honda Jazz (Fit) in the USA; airbags all over the thing.

Anyway, nice talking.

(And then Mr. BangkokCityLimites put-putted off on his Honda. Honda Click. ... Because, elsewhere on the forum, today:

I got fined 350 baht for not wearing a helmet, went to police station to pay and

Toyota trucks sold in Thailand are pretty crap compared to Toyota trucks available elsewhere. The Vigo would be a distant third against either of these:

http://www.newcars.c...ndra-truck.html

but the point is, "so what". We live in Thailand and have different choices. If I was looking for a pickup here I'd probably buy the Isuzu, even if it has been the same model for about 8 years already.

Edited by lannarebirth

In answer to the OP's question- I don't think there is a farthings worth of difference in price anywhere in Thailand or Chiang Mai regarding highly desired models like the Toyota Vigo Hilux. All the dealers are within a set of free floor mats in price. It is a totally fixed market, with very little competition.

The entire country has been enamored of these models for quite a while, as Thailand's excise taxes, gov't incentives, and exports to Australia, the Middle East and Africa have created a very positive market for these vehicles.

Get one at these low prices, while you can, anywhere in CM.

The powers that be are seriously thinking of taking away all the tax benefits that make these behemoths so cheap, relative to vehicles that are more fuel efficient.

The original thinking on this was that Thailand has a lot of farmers, that need full sized pickup trucks. And that this would support the Thai auto industry, a decade or so ago in the export market. And it did.

But the new deal is in the works; just read the paper.

Buy it at any price now, because these mastodons are facing their tax-advantaged extinction soon.

In answer to the OP's question- I don't think there is a farthings worth of difference in price anywhere in Thailand or Chiang Mai regarding highly desired models like the Toyota Vigo Hilux. All the dealers are within a set of free floor mats in price. It is a totally fixed market, with very little competition.

The entire country has been enamored of these models for quite a while, as Thailand's excise taxes, gov't incentives, and exports to Australia, the Middle East and Africa have created a very positive market for these vehicles.

Get one at these low prices, while you can, anywhere in CM.

The powers that be are seriously thinking of taking away all the tax benefits that make these behemoths so cheap, relative to vehicles that are more fuel efficient.

The original thinking on this was that Thailand has a lot of farmers, that need full sized pickup trucks. And that this would support the Thai auto industry, a decade or so ago in the export market. And it did.

But the new deal is in the works; just read the paper.

Buy it at any price now, because these mastodons are facing their tax-advantaged extinction soon.

I certainly understand prices could become higher still, but there is nothing "cheap" about vehicle prices in Thailand.

Thanks for all the information, I think!

Some was useful some was scary. Will visit the dealers as suggested and try to get my floormats. I understand that I can save money by buying in BKK and will check that out as well.

Other question: Can you cross the border with Laos if you own the vehicle? Was there last week with a rental and it was a no go. I tried to ask the question then and there but could not understand what the officer was saying.

Thanks

R'steeltje

^ any links regarding that?

Not that I want to buy one, but I may buy another "people carrier" aka Fortuner soon, which, by the way, is really a fantastic car. One minor issue (rear hatch hydraulics giving out) in 5 years. That's Toyota. Anyway the Fortuner and competing SUVs are classified as people carrier (hence they all come with the 3rd bench, otherwise the price would go up quite significantly) and taxed at 30%.

What's the new tax structure going to look like? I am pretty sure if they change it there will be a very long phase-out-phase-in period as manufacturers and customers have adjusted to and come to like the existing one. They're not going to change it overnight. The only reason so many pick ups are manufactured here is the low tax; so if the government changes that they need to proceed slowly as they likely don't want to scare away manufacturing.

Edited by nikster

Just some other advice before you purchase a Toyota Hilux/prerunner. Go on to the web and type in "Moose test" ...it is also on U Tube. I did this and was shocked at the instability of the Toyota. I tried all the pickups on the market Before I bought anything. I finally settled for the 3 Litre deisel Isuzu for the following reasons....safety, quality of build, resale value, additional accessories. Toyota does not provide anywhere near the extras that Isuzu do.

And finally all Toyota agencies in Chiang Mai are owned by ONE family That is why there is absolutely not one baht of difference in prices.

As far as going into Laos....I have done that with no problem.

Some was useful some was scary. Will visit the dealers as suggested and try to get my floormats. I understand that I can save money by buying in BKK and will check that out as well.

Other question: Can you cross the border with Laos if you own the vehicle? Was there last week with a rental and it was a no go. I tried to ask the question then and there but could not understand what the officer was saying.

Thanks

R'steeltje

Anyway, nice talking.

Nice one well done Winnie!

I've had a 4WD Vigo from Nyompanich near the CM airport, serviced there for 5 years. No problems, reliable 10km/litre( 3000cc). I also wear a helmet ( a good one) on my motorbike, not because of the law but because i've seen too many people lying dead on the road with blood coming from their head. BKKcitylimits should take more care of his head and less worrying about Vigos.

Just some other advice before you purchase a Toyota Hilux/prerunner. Go on to the web and type in "Moose test" ...it is also on U Tube. I did this and was shocked at the instability of the Toyota. I tried all the pickups on the market Before I bought anything. I finally settled for the 3 Litre deisel Isuzu for the following reasons....safety, quality of build, resale value, additional accessories. Toyota does not provide anywhere near the extras that Isuzu do.

And finally all Toyota agencies in Chiang Mai are owned by ONE family That is why there is absolutely not one baht of difference in prices.

As far as going into Laos....I have done that with no problem.

Thanks

R'steeltje

A lot of vehicles fail the moose test but if you buy a pick up to drive like a Lotus then you are going to be in serious trouble. The worst, most unstable car I have owned here is the MkII Honda CRV, get the corner wrong and it was not going to forgive you. My Fortuner is much more forgiving and corners one heck of a lot better. It is a tall car and it is not going to corner like a saloon car, only a fool would try it. I do not agree with BKCL that it is monstrous, it might be if you try driving down small Soi's in the city with it. I drive it across country lugging a fair load most times. On those journeys there is usually road construction or diversions across paddy fields. Saloon cars can have serious problems negotiating those obstacles, as long as a pick up truck can negotiate it they dont care. The Fortuner was in a Mid East 4x4 magazine some years ago and won the award of the 'Best small SUV'! I have no idea what the difference in quality is compared to the Philippines or South African made vehicles. It is purely academic, I live here. I buy the car from the shop down the road as I am most likely to get a better service if I have bought from them especially if things go wrong. You can spout off all day long about how crap some cars are compared to others but at the end of the day you buy a car that you can afford and one that fits your requirements, not someone elses. You pays your money and you takes your choice. .

Toyota trucks sold in Thailand are pretty crap compared to Toyota trucks available elsewhere. The Vigo would be a distant third against either of these:

but the point is, "so what". We live in Thailand and have different choices. If I was looking for a pickup here I'd probably buy the Isuzu, even if it has been the same model for about 8 years already.

Right; those are different (and bigger) vehicles, designed specifically for the North American market. They wouldn't get the same tax benefits in Thailand that 1-tonne pick-ups get.

More fuel efficient? If make an effort I get 17 kms per liter in an Isuzu truck. Diesel trucks are remarkably fuel efficient, though the trend for bigger engines and higher HP has cut into the fuel efficiency a little.

Any new law would be after the next elections, or else the government would get creamed. And would of course depend on the democrats remaining in power; Democrats drive Corollas and Camry's so they wouldn't think twice about hurting a bunch of pick up driving farmers even more. If the other side get in however, then benefits will surely remain.

Until a couple years ago: Yes. Currently not anymore. Though I woudl agree this has so far not resulted in hyper competition.. Still, better than before.

Finally: New Isuzu coming end of this year. New Ford coming next month or so.

Are you saying they use differnet Chassis in Europe? Links please.

We have a ton of Toyota Hiluxes in Europe. In -30 degree celsius conditions working just fine.

I haven't seen any Isuzus in Europe.

Are you saying they use differnet Chassis in Europe? Links please.

We have a ton of Toyota Hiluxes in Europe. In -30 degree celsius conditions working just fine.

I haven't seen any Isuzus in Europe.

That's because they were marketed through GM's Opel brand. Though the current D-Max model seems to have been dropped from the line up.

OPEL-Campo-Pick-Up-4x--2001-2002-.jpg

Right; those are different (and bigger) vehicles, designed specifically for the North American market. They wouldn't get the same tax benefits in Thailand that 1-tonne pick-ups get.

so why do they call them 1 ton pickups? Surely not because of payload. Stick a ton in any of'em and they're down on the rubber shock blocks. A couple extra leaf springs and better shocks gets the payload up though.

[

A lot of vehicles fail the moose test but if you buy a pick up to drive like a Lotus then you are going to be in serious trouble. The worst, most unstable car I have owned here is the MkII Honda CRV, get the corner wrong and it was not going to forgive you. My Fortuner is much more forgiving and corners one heck of a lot better. It is a tall car and it is not going to corner like a saloon car, only a fool would try it. I do not agree with BKCL that it is monstrous, it might be if you try driving down small Soi's in the city with it. I drive it across country lugging a fair load most times. On those journeys there is usually road construction or diversions across paddy fields. Saloon cars can have serious problems negotiating those obstacles, as long as a pick up truck can negotiate it they dont care. The Fortuner was in a Mid East 4x4 magazine some years ago and won the award of the 'Best small SUV'! I have no idea what the difference in quality is compared to the Philippines or South African made vehicles. It is purely academic, I live here. I buy the car from the shop down the road as I am most likely to get a better service if I have bought from them especially if things go wrong. You can spout off all day long about how crap some cars are compared to others but at the end of the day you buy a car that you can afford and one that fits your requirements, not someone elses. You pays your money and you takes your choice. .

You mention some of the reasons we decided on a Fortuner. I feel lot better with the missus cruising around with a little more metal around her for some protection.

This issue has been turned into a political one in America. They are trying to save as many jobs possible. Thus the "dont buy a japanese car, buy an american car".

They would buy American cars if they were any good to begin with. American car makers need goverment subsidising in order to compete with others. (Goverment bail out and federal money)

This issue has been turned into a political one in America. They are trying to save as many jobs possible. Thus the "dont buy a japanese car, buy an american car".

They would buy American cars if they were any good to begin with. American car makers need goverment subsidising in order to compete with others. (Goverment bail out and federal money)

Well, an interesting twist to this is that Toyota has MAJOR manufacturing going on in the USA. So it's not as black and white as 'buy American', especially not at a time when a lot of very American companies are shipping jobs overseas, and Toyota is actuall moving production to the US.