Can Foreigners Be Cremated In Thailand?

Tokay

In the event I die in Thailand, I certainly do not want my body returned to my home country. What's the point?

As foreigners, are will allowed to be cremated in Thailand? What is the protocol for such a thing?

There really needs to be more businesses that deal with this. Could be added to those 'One Stop' visa runs, visa to other countries, send faxes, and photo copy type places. The temples will do it for you for next to nothing, and these businesses simply charge their foreign customers who don't know how to go about setting such a situation up beforehand (and obviously cannot deal with after dying). Could be reasonably priced at 3-4 thousand Baht a body. Would do it myself, but wouldn't want to see folks who have no one and were nearing death all day....

:)

• Like 1

but wouldn't want to see folks who have no one and were nearing death all day....

You joined the wrong forum then :whistling:

Unless you specify in a will that you want your body shipped/flown back to your homeland or it is requested by a close family member, and the funds to do so are made available, you get BBQ'd in your local Wat.

• Like 1

An interesting topic. I've wondered about that. In some countries, where families cannot be located, the body 'belongs' to the state, so I would assume a quick cremation at the local Wat happens. But I guess that as you cease to be a legal entity after you die, (the lawyers may correct me on that)your relatives can dispose of you anyway they like. Assuming you have died naturally of course, which may not be the case for some foreigners.

But personally, I would much rather be barbequed here, and the locals had a great party with the brass band, dancing etc, because I think thais still 'celebrate' death very well. Better than a boring service back home where few people remember you that well because you have lived in Thailand for 20 years, with - 'you know- a bar girl'! The cremation is all over in about 20 minutes and its cost someone a gazillion dollars. At the after bbq few drinks - 'He was always a bit different you know - never wanted to settle down' bla bla ! Much better the local tradition, its just a pity that you've probably paid for it, but don't get to attend.

"Unless you specify in a will that you want your body shipped/flown back to your homeland or it is requested by a close family member, and the funds to do so are made available, you get BBQ'd in your local Wat."

I am not so sure it's as straight forward as that, and would welcome legal advice. I have gathered some information on this but it is not completely clear. I know of two cases where people have died, and in my district the embassy immediately gets involved. In one such case an acquaintance died suddenly, and the embassy claimed the body. I don't think the family back home wanted the body but by so doing the Thai gf incurred charges.

In a recent case which I know more of, as soon as the person died the body was claimed by the embassy. In this case the family back home were contacted and want to ship the body back to the family home.

I believe the safe way is to write a will in which you specify what happens to the body. I have not done the will - yet. In my district you write the will in Thai and English, and register the will at the Amphur. You go to the Amphur's office with two Thai citizen witnesses where the will is sealed in an envelope, and the district officer signs the seal. That's as far as I got. The district officer asked me about details about where I was to be cremated - I therefore needed to make arrangements with the particular wat. And I put the matter off - perhaps foolishly.

In the first example above I believe the acquaintance would have wanted all of his estate to go to the Thai gf but because officialdom and the embassy got involved she incurred expense. I feel it is better to make this matter of will and cremation legal.

The body will always be claimed by the embassy, unless there is family in Thailand, and they contact the family to see what the family wants to happen (if anything).

If someone doesn't have a Thai wife or husband, best is to make a will stating what should happen to avoid possible problems.

but wouldn't want to see folks who have no one and were nearing death all day....

You joined the wrong forum then :whistling:

Unless you specify in a will that you want your body shipped/flown back to your homeland or it is requested by a close family member, and the funds to do so are made available, you get BBQ'd in your local Wat.

*rimshot* Nice.

I think plenty of folks don't leave next of kin contact info and whatever 'current' or 'last known' addresses back home are out of date. The market is there. Not sure I'd go with a BBQ theme though.

We have arranged the cremation of a number of deceased friends here over the years. I've found both the Australian and British embassies extremely helpful contacting families at home and co-ordinating arrangements. In all cases the cremations were carried out at the Thai families local Wat and very respectful events.

It is written into my Thai will and my family at home have no problem with it.

Edit: In most cases the ashes were divided between the Thai and Expats family.

Edited by bdenner

My late husband, an American, was cremated here in Thailand, as that was his wish. When he died I had to deal with police on autopsy issue and I informed the Amphur that I and my family would cremate his body at the local temple. I informed the Embassy as well. The embassy asked how would I do with his ashes and I said I would keep most of them and send some to his relatives in America. His sister is ok since she knew his plan well. My late husband did say he prefered to have some coke liquid on his body instead of the typical coconut juice that Thais usually use. The villagers were smiling at our special way, but that was done as he wished.

In the case of foreigners dying in Thailand it is mandatory for the police to inform the persons embassy, as to the disposal, a Thai will is a must, re-patriation of a body to Europe or USA can cost in excess of 250,000 baht, a budhist ceremony with cremation in the temple in Pattaya City Centre is 30,000 baht minimum, I would guess that it can be done cheaper at some of the more remote wats. This 30,000 baht includes all the paperwork from the hospital/police and the transportation of the body to the temple. Hope this helps.

• 4 weeks later...

I live in the LOS and put in my UK will that I wanted to be cremated in Thailand OR the country I died in. There is an interesting scenario where I could go to visit Cambodia (say) and die there. As I assume my re-entry permit to the LOS would be useless, I would not be allowed back into Thailand to be cremated!!!

So rather than risk being sent back to the UK, where I have no family nor friends, I simply specified my 'BBQ' to be in the local country of death.

Edited by dsfbrit

• 1 month later...

I have tried to ensure I get my wish of cremation here (but not in the immediate future please!)

notified family, estate executor, and NZ has a website for expats living abroad, contact details etc, I added a bit in the notes area saying 'no repatriation of body' and listing estate executor's contact details.

We're in Chanthaburi but the 'family' wat is in Sa Kaeo, still uses a wood-burner, I keep a pile of old Bangkok Posts should there be a need for extra starter fuel.

• 2 months later...

McKean Hospital in Chiang Mai can do cremation and they can have the chaplains from CMU come depending on what kind of service you want. I don't know how much the cremation is but the chaplains are free.

In the case of foreigners dying in Thailand it is mandatory for the police to inform the persons embassy, as to the disposal, a Thai will is a must, re-patriation of a body to Europe or USA can cost in excess of 250,000 baht, a budhist ceremony with cremation in the temple in Pattaya City Centre is 30,000 baht minimum, I would guess that it can be done cheaper at some of the more remote wats. This 30,000 baht includes all the paperwork from the hospital/police and the transportation of the body to the temple. Hope this helps.

My father died about a year ago in Thailand. I was here with him. Police never contacted. I contacted the Embassy. That is needed to help with any will or life insurance abroad. Having his body burned at the Wat was 20,000 Bt, however the locals pay 10,000 Bt. He had no Thai will and it was never asked for. My brother flew his ashes back to America but I think he would have been happy to have it done here. It was "carry on" and no charge from the airline. Really was easy except for the stress of a lost love one.

• 2 weeks later...

The wife of a deceased friend stated that the bill for sending him up the chimney at the big wat on Pattaya Tai came to 40k THB. My wife has agreed to put me in the back of the pick-up, leg it to our village outside Lomsak and have the deed done for 3K. I have specified no chanting avaricious monks, but make sure that she has enough coins for the gas meter.

• Like 1

I have told the wife that if l die to burn me asap as l do not want a buddist funeral laying in a temple for 3/5 days whilst 400 thais have a feast to remember. Its in my Thai will and my English will which have the same text

An acquaintance was cremated here a few years ago. The temple asked for double the normal fee because he was foreign. When questioned, the temple said it was because farang are larger, so use more fuel. Here in Thailand there's double pricing, even after death.

• Haha 1

Forget your wills etc. Just go to your local government hospital and get a form to donate your body to medical research. Once dead, and the embassy has been informed, you will be put in cold storage until authorisation, from the embassy, to release your body is given.

Here in Buriram Province all deceased persons, who donate their bodies, go to Khon Kaen. All costs related to storage and transport are paid by the government. A much better system than paying out 1,000's for a Wat funeral, in my opinion.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

I believe the safe way is to write a will in which you specify what happens to the body. I have not done the will - yet. In my district you write the will in Thai and English, and register the will at the Amphur. You go to the Amphur's office with two Thai citizen witnesses where the will is sealed in an envelope, and the district officer signs the seal. That's as far as I got. The district officer asked me about details about where I was to be cremated - I therefore needed to make arrangements with the particular wat. And I put the matter off - perhaps foolishly.

I would be wary of entrusting my original will with the amphur. I have two wills, one for Thai assets and one for UK. Both wills in English and Thai. Both wills in secure storage and executors informed of the whereabouts. I am relying on my wife to make arrangements with the wat when the time comes. I have (on advice) made up a folder of everything she should do. We need to go through this again.

Is there a farlang funeral company in LOS. A friend of mine recently arrived here is interested in starting one ?

Google "John Allison/Monkhouse". They have a Bangkok representative. I am using them.

I have used them, they are excellent. Reasonably priced and they handle all the associated paperwork, liasing with the relevant Embassy, hospitral or forensic institute etc.

There are at least 2 or 3 other such orgnaizations as well but this is I think the best one. So going back to the original question, your friend would face some competetion in a market not that big to begin with.

• 1 year later...
  • 10 months later...

Anyone here in Chiang Mai that does reasonable cremations. I want it done soon as possible after death. Do they do a complete burn or are larger bones left over. I want this settled before I go so my g/f can move swiftly and not be taken in by some overpriced ones that I understand exist here.

In the case of a foreigner there are some special paperwork requirements and Embassy or consulate involvement. Check out the website of Allison Monkhouse, they specialize in arrangements for farang who die in Thailand , are very efficient and reasonable in price.

also be sure you are registered with your Embassy

Including up to date information on your next of kin as they will not release your body without authorization from your nearest relative. A girlfriend will have no legal standing in the matter, something you might want to think about i.e. marrying her would solve that. Depending on where you are from and yout circumstancrs, marriage might also entitle her to some financial benefitd after your death.

• Like 2