Best Places To Take Visiting Friends And Relatives?

WhiteCadillac

I stay in the house all day so don't know much fun and cool anymore. Best places to take visiting friends and relatives that have never been to Chiang Mai before?

They're in their twenties and thirties. We have only 2-3 days in Chiang Mai.

We have our own transportation and are based in hang Dong.

Edited by WhiteCadillac

I reside in Chiang Rai because I like less traffic and friendlier locals, but when I go to Chiang Mai to visit, I like going to the waterfalls. They're west of town, up from the road that passes the zoo. go about 5 Km, just after a bridge, take a sharp right. There's a gate there that will want a high price for farang. If you have a Thai-style ID (drivers license) they'll likely let your car in for Bt.20. You can hike up above the main falls. I've even gone skinny dipping upstream, but don't tell anyone.

Also, that same creek can be accessed from the bridge itself. Upstream or downstream from the bridge - is worthwhile. downstream, there are impressive rock formations. Enjoy.

Wat Phrathat Doi Suthep (the big wat on top of Doi Suthep) is a must see. Even if your guests aren't big temple fans, the views are worth it. It's on the same road as brahmburgers' falls and hiking and makes for a good full day if you incorporate some of the stops on the way up. There is also a palace further up the road that is fairly popular but worth a miss in my opinion.

If they enjoy more nature oriented outings, the Queen Sirikit Botanic Garden is a worthwhile trip with lots of other attractions in the area though well outside of town (Mae Rim). This general area has animal shows, orchid farms, elephant camps, shooting ranges, and go karts as well so something for everybody if you don't want to spend all day at the botanic gardens (which are huge).

A day just hanging out in and around the old city would round things out nicely for me, definitely should see wat chedi luang while in that area.

Everybody enjoys something different; what are your guests interests?

If they enjoy more nature oriented outings, the Queen Sirikit Botanic Garden is a worthwhile trip with lots of other attractions in the area though well outside of town (Mae Rim). This general area has animal shows, orchid farms, elephant camps, shooting ranges, and go karts as well so something for everybody if you don't want to spend all day at the botanic gardens (which are huge).

Closer to home for you but in the same vein there is also Royal Flora Ratchaphruek. They have been doing some work there recently and it is becoming more of an attraction though they recently started charging an admission fee.

I would take them to one of the weekend night markets... Preferably the Saturday Market - Then you can start by eating diner at the street stalls around Chiang Mai Gate...

If not here on a weekend - Then Warawat market area - Or the Night Bazaar as a LAST resort

I think if its their first time here and they are here only for a few days, then the classics: Elephant show, snake show, waterfalls, butterfly/orchid farm, night market (walking street rather than night bazaar - though watching the artists in the night bazaar lower group in the building up by foxy lady is cool), umbrella factory is good (paper umbrellas) and if they take something, the guys/girls will paint a design on them for pennies (50 baht). Wat Sri Suphan, Wat Nantaram and Wat Muensarn by Wualai and Nantaram Roads - see here http://www.chiangmai...ch-culture.html - maybe also Doi Suthep (personally I find it too touristy and crowded and commercial these days - but I remember when it was free to get in and tourists where much thinner on the ground up there - also views are great if the weather is clear and you don't look straight down at the rubbish and debris dumped over the temple wall onto the forrest below) - however that is a good half day at minumum.

Evening meal at Monkey Tree is nice too - nice decour, excellent food, music (if upstairs have a look at the lamp shades for an interesting cheap thrill). Or RIver Side/ Good View are the normal (in town) tourist restaurants.

Edited by wolf5370

OP,

Wat That Doi Suthep is a must and since you have a car, drive to nearby palace garden too.

The old city and a few temples within. If they don't like temples, just drive by and see outside.

The night bazaar and weekend street market if on saturday or sunday(2 are different).

Eat & Eat and Eat.

Chiang Mai is not big, drive them around every road in Chiang Mai. Oh...you have luck friends :)

CPT,

You mentioned 2 different gardens, which is the one that was on for a few months in conjunction with the King's birthday around 4 years ago ? I have visited then. Wonder is it worth a visit now for someone who have not visit it ? Will it be too quiet ?

Edited by healthcaretaker

CPT,

You mentioned 2 different gardens, which is the one that was on for a few months in conjunction with the King's birthday around 4 years ago ? I have visited then. Wonder is it worth a visit now for someone who have not visit it ? Will it be too quiet ?

That would be Royal Flora Ratchaphruek. I've been a few times in the past two years and they seem to be getting progressively busier but still nothing like the crowds I'm sure it attracted when new. The complex is huge so you can always find a few places without too many others nearby. The orchid house is up and running with a rather impressive new outdoor display. Some gardens suffer from a lack of maintenance but most are in good shape and a few are very impressive. They seem to be adding several new cafes and souvenir shops and now charge for admission (I think about 50 baht but not sure). Last time I was there was on a Friday and several school groups made things a bit chaotic around the more central attractions.