South Korea Develops World's First 4G Mobile System

webfact

S. Korea develops world's first 4G mobile system

SEOUL, Jan. 25 (Yonhap) -- South Korea has successfully developed the world's first fourth-generation (4G) mobile telecommunication system that can transmit data 40 times faster than the current 3G wireless network, the government said Tuesday.

The Ministry of Knowledge Economy said the state-run Electronics and Telecommunications Research Institute (ETRI) has succeeded in trying out an operational Long Term Evolution-Advanced (LTE-Advanced) system outside of laboratory conditions.

The system allows users to view high-definition, three-dimensional TV images while in a car moving 40 kilometers per hour and transmit 600 megabits of data per second (Mbps), which enables a regular 700 megabyte CD to be downloaded in 9.3 seconds. It is also six times faster than the LTE, or 3.9 generation, system that Seoul plans to set up in July.

"All components including wireless communications, network and data transfer and signal control systems were developed locally without outside help," Jeong Marn-ki, head of the ministry's information technology industry office said.

The technology acquired meets 95 percent of the requirements needed for a functional 4G mobile communications system, he said, adding technologies not yet developed must wait for the creation of a worldwide standard on 4G telecommunications that is expected to be set by the International Telecommunication Union in April.

Compared to some other countries, South Korea was slow in establishing a nationwide 3.9G LTE system, but it will probably be an early adopter of the 4G LTE-Advanced that could start local commercial service around 2015, the official said.

ETRI said that it has acquired 24 patents related to LTE-Advanced and has applied for intellectual property protection on 500 processes learned during the research and development stage.

South Korean companies may hold least 23 percent of all patent rights on 4G communications technology, up from 19 percent for 3.9G and 10 percent for 3G wideband code division multiple access, it added. (Yonhap)

tnalogo.jpg

-- TNA 2011-01-26

I lived in S.Korea about 6 years ago and I moved in to a new building complex in bundang(not sure if its the correct spelling, just in the outskirts of Seoul) I was offered 100Mbit connection dsl/up and down and at a very reasonable price. I have never since been close to that kind of speed since i moved from S.Korea. At the time it was difficult to find sites/servers that would take full advantage of a 100Mbit connection. I had the best results with mIRC and if I wanted to test the connection I would download a game from Yahoo games, I recall the speeds were 8MB/s a second, maybe im wrong but it sure was insanely fast.

I cant believe we are still waiting for 3g in Thailand................. and advertisement with "super hi-speed internet at 5-16Mbits" that usually never amounts to more than max 2Mbits connections.

Well hopefully one day that will change.

What about Thailand 4G?

The issues preventing Thai 3G are all political and none are technical. They just can't figure out how to slice the pie, and how much they can rip off the private operators, so it's caught in a stasis. TOT and CAT can apparently do whatever they want, and no political power in Thailand can tell them what to do, including the prime minister. I am sure this has to do with influential people directly benefiting from TOT and CAT concessions - but I don't know who these people are.

Oppss..

4G might not be so good as the news has not spread that Sweden already using 4G.

75% of Swedish people will have 4G in the of 2011.

And todays cover:

post-103662-0-96191800-1296035236_thumb.

Have a nice day!

My mate in Denmark has been working on it for about a year now.

Good for South Korea. Thailand can't get out of 2nd gear.:whistling:

They can, but that is if they really want to.

In the land of the corrupt, all that is wanted is more money and more power to get more money. There are very few individuals with "any say" who really care about the reputation of Thailand or the people of Thailand.

I wonder why I could not find this topic on TV home page?

And if people in cities think the service they get is lacking they would really want to SCREAM if the only internet available to them was by an air card. Oh, and TOT = Thai govt COULD grant more homes/areas with service. But........ My download speed (on a fast day) is 0.98 kbps. And I pay Bt700 per month. :realangry:

Obama's Steak and Onions Address contained the statement "South Korean homes now have greater Internet access than we do."

South Korea has been ahead of most of the world for a long time, guess GW either never noticed or was too embarrassed to mention it.

South Korea has been ahead of most of the world for a long time, guess GW either never noticed or was too embarrassed to mention it.

He was always too distracted by Middle Eastern "noo-killers" whatever they were...:blink: Still he probably saved a lot of noos from being killed.