Qantas Plane Forced To Land In Bangkok

webfact

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What you need to seriously doubt is the efficacy of those yellow dixie cups that drop in the back..

Be assured the pilots have something a bit more substantial than a yellow dixie cup, and who really cares if the passengers and the hosties pass out as long as the pilots are awake.......you will wake up when the pilots DESCEND to 10,000 ft again.

I think they care because brain damage ......, they dive down, however planes these days are hard to stall I hear.

Get a life, some of you people! A storm in a tea cup -- both events.

QANTAS has a record that other airlines can just dream of and will continue to do so. In saying that I don't fly with them because the airline can't fire their over weight, aged, and down right rude "Trolley Dollies"

..... I don't understand why people still fly on Qantas coffins.

The fact that Qantas has not had a fatal accident since 16th July 1951 may be a contributory factor.

Do we've to wait people die before you change your "factor"??

" prompting the pilot to dive 8,000 metres (26,000 feet)".

I seriously doubt they dived 8k meters.Probably descended IMO.

Loss of cabin pressure means they have to, the passengers and crew be passing out otherwise.

Agreed, the faster the better, in a controlled manner,

for the passenger and crews safety, the oxygen masks only work so well, but enough to keep everyone alive till a normal pressure can be maintained, also the longer the pressure is not equalized the more stress on the hull/airframe.

Edited by animatic

All I know is that when Australians maintained all Qantas Frames and that included minor, major and deep level services (DLM overhauls) there were no problems what so ever. Now that most major services and DLM's are outsources to the lowest bidders out side of Australia we are seeing the result of this cost cutting.

Avoid flying Qantas for now, well until one crashes then thing may go back to the good old days after the finger pointing game ends.

Qantas were always considered the safest airline in the world. As an Australian you will not get me on one of these planes even if you drugged me. Thier track record over the last couple of years is appalling. Qantas is a disaster waiting to happen. They are one of the most expensive to use, thier service is absolutely crap, thier is no eye candy to look at most of the attendants are in the late 40's 50's and apart from that you will probably die. I would feel much safer walking around Afganistan unarmed than I would be on a Qantas plane.

Things were great until they outsourced thier maintenance and servicing to Indonesia and we all know good Garuda airlines are. Qantas is now considering moving thier home base to Sth East Asia as a part of a cost cutting plan. They plan to hire more Sth East Asian pilots to replace Aussie pilots and crew to cut more costs. They have the shareholders dollars to think of.

Give me Thai Airways over Qantas anyday.

What you need to seriously doubt is the efficacy of those yellow dixie cups that drop in the back..

Be assured the pilots have something a bit more substantial than a yellow dixie cup, and who really cares if the passengers and the hosties pass out as long as the pilots are awake.......you will wake up when the pilots DESCEND to 10,000 ft again.

A few years ago there has been a plane crash (in Greece) because not only the passengers but also the pilots

got unconscious.

In the case of the Greek accident, there was no decompression. The aircraft never pressurised in the first place, due to an incorrect instrument setting. That explains why they didn't use their masks, they lost consciousness before they even realised what the problem was.

Loss of cabin pressure means they have to, the passengers and crew be passing out otherwise.

OXYGEN MASKS

Ever heard Passengers oxygen masks automatically deploying when there is an unusual cabin pressure occurrence above 10,000 feet altitude above sea level.

Cabin pressure is maintained automatically at 10,000 feet when the aircraft climbs through 10,000 on its way to its flight level - for a 747 - 350 or 360.

You do not dive. You make a rapid descend. Crew and passengers are all on oxygen masks

All I know is that when Australians maintained all Qantas Frames and that included minor, major and deep level services (DLM overhauls) there were no problems what so ever. Now that most major services and DLM's are outsources to the lowest bidders out side of Australia we are seeing the result of this cost cutting.

Avoid flying Qantas for now, well until one crashes then thing may go back to the good old days after the finger pointing game ends.

1-fuh, you don't know what you're talking about. Aircraft maintanence is done as checks: A Check, B Check, C Check and D Check. Aircraft Maintenance

In the general aviation industry there is no such thing as a "DML overhaul". In fact, the only reference I can find relates to the Australian military and appears to be a localised term.

Virgil, Out!

A few years ago there has been a plane crash (in Greece) because not only the passengers but also the pilots

got unconscious.

Hmmmm i read something similar that the yellow "dixie cups" only last a few minutes and then one goes into a blissful state of sleep. Seems they are there for false confidence only, similar to the red light blinking in car that is not attached to an actual alarm

Not quite sure how a 'mechanical problem' has become a pressurization failure but that is the way these threads go. If the cabin pressure exceeds 10,000 feet the passenger masks drop automatically. Pulling the mask to your face will activate the chemical oxygen generator which operates for about 13 minutes. The pilots have full face masks which they put on and immediately start an emergency descent down to 10,000 feet or lower depending on the minimum sector altitude, which is dependent on the height of the terrain. However there are a multitude of possible mechanical problems and this is only one of them.

If you read the OP, it also mentions a flight from Adelaide to Melbourne that had to descend rapidly due to loss of cabin pressure. The discussion refers to that, not the Bangkok flight.

You are right about the 13 mins of oxygen, hence the need to descend below 10,000ft fairly sharpish. But the masks drop if the cabin pressure is lower than the outside pressure at 10,000ft, not when it exceeds it. Put another way, they drop if the plane is at an altitude that exceeds 10,000 ft. I am sure that's what you meant.

.... you will probably die.

.... I would feel much safer walking around Afganistan unarmed than I would be on a Qantas plane.

.... Give me Thai Airways over Qantas anyday.

You will die - just like everyone.

Really?

7 fatal accidents, that have cost 380 lives, since they were founded in 1959.

Cruising altutude is about 30 to 35 thousand feet. Cabin pressure equals about 8000 feet. so there is a possibiltiy, that a pilot has to dive 26 thousand feet in case of a significant drop of air pressure inside the cabin. Though that dive may not be compared with the dive of a Stuka.

1-fuh, you don't know what you're talking about. Aircraft maintanence is done as checks: A Check, B Check, C Check and D Check. Aircraft Maintenance

In the general aviation industry there is no such thing as a "DML overhaul". In fact, the only reference I can find relates to the Australian military and appears to be a localised term.

Virgil, Out!

You are absolutely correct Virgil I over simplified the servicing just for forum purposes and yes DLM is a military term but when Qantas at Kingsford-Smith 747 Heavy Maintenance plant in Sydney was shut down in 2006 it did DLM's for military 707 for the Royal Australian Air Force as well . So forgive me my mistake. But they did do Heavy Maintenance or DLM some may say on 747 because they would strip down and overhaul most system on the air frame.

Edited by 1forjohnny

yes, they have had a worrying amount of incidents, since moving there maintenance,,although you could argue,,,,they stilll have not had a crash and loss of life,,,,, :jap:

However i have been flying since 1973,,when jets had to stop 3 times to refuel to get to OZ from LHR,,,,but i would not fly Qantas,,,surly it is only a matter of time ???

But i will praise all of the pilots, who must wonder what is going to happen next,,but get their planes and passengers on the ground safely,,,,even if there are a few skiddies!!! :bah:

Get a life, some of you people! A storm in a tea cup -- both events.

QANTAS has a record that other airlines can just dream of and will continue to do so. In saying that I don't fly with them because the airline can't fire their over weight, aged, and down right rude "Trolley Dollies"

Nail on the head mate.

Qantas were always considered the safest airline in the world. As an Australian you will not get me on one of these planes even if you drugged me. Thier track record over the last couple of years is appalling. Qantas is a disaster waiting to happen. They are one of the most expensive to use, thier service is absolutely crap, thier is no eye candy to look at most of the attendants are in the late 40's 50's and apart from that you will probably die. I would feel much safer walking around Afganistan unarmed than I would be on a Qantas plane.

Things were great until they outsourced thier maintenance and servicing to Indonesia and we all know good Garuda airlines are. Qantas is now considering moving thier home base to Sth East Asia as a part of a cost cutting plan. They plan to hire more Sth East Asian pilots to replace Aussie pilots and crew to cut more costs. They have the shareholders dollars to think of.

Give me Thai Airways over Qantas anyday.

Oh thats interesting, and here's silly ole me thinking that Thai Air employed asian pilots. :(

.... you will probably die.

.... I would feel much safer walking around Afganistan unarmed than I would be on a Qantas plane.

.... Give me Thai Airways over Qantas anyday.

You will die - just like everyone.

Really?

1959 ! ........You got that wrong. Oldest airways KLM oct 7th., 1919.

QANTAS. Nov 16th., 1920

BA 1924

Air France Oct 1933

QANTAS (Queensland and Northern Territory Aerial Services) commenced operations in 1920. It is the second "oldest" continuously operating airline in the world.

QANTAS has never lost a jet aircraft. The last fatality on a QANTAS aircraft was in 1951 (catastrophic engine failure on a three engined De Havilland DHA-3)

Despite this unequaled safety record --- I shall never fly them ---- as their service is worse than poor.

yes, they have had a worrying amount of incidents, since moving there maintenance,,although you could argue,,,,they stilll have not had a crash and loss of life,,,,, :jap:

However i have been flying since 1973,,when jets had to stop 3 times to refuel to get to OZ from LHR,,,,but i would not fly Qantas,,,surly it is only a matter of time ???

But i will praise all of the pilots, who must wonder what is going to happen next,,but get their planes and passengers on the ground safely,,,,even if there are a few skiddies!!! :bah:

Had to stop 3 times to refuel from oz to London in 1973 WOW! what a swift improvement in air travel.

My first 'long haul' flight was in 1953, before jet liners. We had to stop every night to refuel the old Avro York. All 26 passengers (full complement) and crew...Capt., co pilot, flt radio officer, flt engineer, navigator and 2 hostesses, were placed in a first class hotel every night. We flew at 8000 ft max and the flight from Ceylon, Ratlmalana to London, Heathrow in 6 days, they told me that they normally took 5 days, but we broke down in Beiruit and had to make an emergency refuelling at Damascus due to headwinds. lolololol An interesting if not boring flight to say the least.