Motorbike License

willyumcr

I have a driver license from USA. I do not have a motorcycle endorsement. I have a non imm O visa and leave the Kingdom every 90 days. I understand you can drive here up to 90 days on your foreign license. Would the 90 day visa each time I leave country allow me to start over for the 90 day driving rule? Also can I drive motorbike without motorcycle endorsement from home country. Thanks

Getting Car License in Phuket is quite simple, if you have a current drivers license from another Country. I got mine three days ago only a reflex test using a simulated brake pedal with stop pedal, and coloud blindness test were require. I had my license within a few hours, get there early or you have to wait. There were 100 odd people trying out for their License, and I was there in the que at 8.40AM, and had my Car License in hand by 11am

Getting a Bike license is another matter, I hold an Australian Drivers License issued in Victoria, I am 58 and have held the Victorian Drivers License for 40 years, over that time I drove some 2.8 Million Klm as a rep. The License is also endorsed for for me to ride a Motor Cycle of unlimited engine size, that endorsement I have had for 35 years. I have been riding ever since in Australia. In Australia only one Drivers License/Card is issued, it is then endorsed with a code for every type of vehicle you are able to legally drive or ride. Try telling that to the girls at Phuket, they said I could only have my Car License even though I have a Bike License from Australia, and if I wanted a Bike License I would have to sit through a Video on Driving in Thailand, to my amazement I went along with this and went to the Video room. The small room was filled with Farang, the video was in English but the sound quality was shocking, I would say at lease a quarter had no sound at all. The video was if anything entertaining, most of us were laughing at the irrevelant information we were being given that is when we could hear what was being said. After the video we were told we had to do a Bike riding test I was realy getting annoyed by then I tried again to tell the head girl that my Australian License is for both Car and Unlimited Bike, but she said I only have a Car license I needed to Show her a Bike License ( she wanted another Card with Bike on it) so I decided I was going to go along with their request and was one of the first down to the Driving Course. Thats when it got realy silly, as I drove their in my Hilux I did not have a Bike with me, you can rent a bike from the instructors at 50tb per try, Some other Farang were there and on the 50thb bikes going around and around, one guy had clocked up about 7 trys before I stopped watching. There were Thais and Farang going around and around with no sign of anyone passing the simple driving test. I asked where I was in the pile of applications and found out I was near the bottom of the pile. I could see that this was going to take forever and decided to leave. I was told by the head girl I could come back she would hold my application for my next visit. My Thai wife said a Guy approahed her and said if I paid 6,000 thb I could get the License I was not going to give them the pleasure of ripping me off and have decided to go back on myown Bike next week that way they don't even get bike rental from me as it is free to take the test if you have your own Bike.

To give a more positive point of view than DocBarrington I did my car and bike license tests in a small office and had both completed within 3 hours. Nobody failed the bike riding test but plenty did fail the theory and car driving. The staff were friendly and professional and I couldn't complain about the process in any way really.

if you don't have a motorbike license from the US then I'm pretty sure you won't be covered here. Find yourself a smaller land transport office and go along to do the test. The office will have posters explaining all the signs and mine has a spare test computer that you can use to learn the rules of the road and practise the questions first in English. It's really not hard to get the real license and the peace of mind that would come with it.

I'm also on a non-Imm "O" visa. I just got my thai driving license for both car and motorbike the 12th January at the office near the Big C in Chiang Mai. Everything done in less than 2 hours.

My swiss driving licenses were issued 24 years ago.

I brought with me copies of my passport (first page, vis page and immigration card, stamp), original and copies of my swiss driver license (bike, car, bus, truck) AND international driving license, proof of residence from the Immigration Office in Chiang Mai (500 bahts) and a medical certificate (100 bahts).

I had to pass the color, braking and the other weird test with the two white sticks to align and that's all. Then went to take the photo and 5 minutes later had the two temporary 1 year driving licenses in my pocket. Total cost, less than 1000 bahts.

Edited by Nawak

Go to your nearest test station and ask what is required, at pattaya for foreign licence not covering motorcycle , i had to take written, colour,reaction and depth perception tests,and then a driving test around a small course, no video was required as i obtained a car licence at the same time for which my international licence covered me.

Edited by steve187

About a year and a half ago now, I went into the Rayong Land Transportation Department with my Canadian car licence, did the colour and reflex tests, and was issued the Thai motorbike licence. (Had all the necessary photocopies and med test papers)

Either they didn't notice that my licence was for car only (but did examine the small print on it with a magnifying glass!), or didn't want the hassle of going through all the extra testing. Much appreciated, either way.

Hi. Thanks for all the great responses. I am in Pattaya. What I am really after is can I drive a car / motorbike with my Washington State driving license with the first 90 days I am in the Kingdom? If I am stopped by police will my home license be OK? Thanks

The difference between you needing a Thai license or being able to drive on your home license technically lies in whether you are a visitor or a resident, not just what your visa says. A cop or other official can use any number of things to determine whether you are a resident, like if you own a car, have bills in your name sent to your residence, or have kids enrolled in school. Of course your average traffic cop is probably not going to be checking those things so usually as a farang flashing your home license will suffice, even if you are on a motorcycle and your foreign license is for a car only. However, there are reports of traffic officers determining on the spot that a person needs a Thai license. If you have a tourist visa or visa exempt stamp, you will 99.9% of the time have no problems using your home license to drive or rent a car or motorcycle even if you are a long stay tourist visa running. Visa running, however, doesn't "reset" your license as such. That is a common misconception.

I was realy getting annoyed by then I tried again to tell the head girl that my Australian License is for both Car and Unlimited Bike, but she said I only have a Car license I needed to Show her a Bike License ( she wanted another Card with Bike on it)

I did the same thing with my California license which is endorsed for a motorcycle and car. California licenses don't have the pictures on the back describing what the license allows me to drive, so they told me to print out from the California DMV website the page which describes what a class C and M are. I am sure if you did this they wouldn't make you do the motorcycle driving test. After that I only had to do the color, reaction and depth perception test.

You didn't mention the depth perception test so maybe they don't do it anymore, but 2 years ago they had it. On the depth perception test you will need to do what the Thai's do and either carefully gauge the distance from the side before you take the test or use a spotter to signal when to stop since it is impossible to gauge within a few centimeters the location of a plane white rod inside a black box under flat light from across the room. A totally useless test. I refused to cheat and failed it twice and almost a third time. I have had my eyes checked before and since and have no depth perception issues.

I had an Arizona USA drivers license with a motorcycle endorsement and an international license with the motorcycle endorsement. They never even looked at my American license. Took the color blind test pulled the two strings, and pushed the brake pedal for the car license and got both at the same time. I never had to do anything to get the motorcycle license. But I did have it on both my American license and the international license.

Hi. Thanks for all the great responses. I am in Pattaya. What I am really after is can I drive a car / motorbike with my Washington State driving license with the first 90 days I am in the Kingdom? If I am stopped by police will my home license be OK? Thanks

If you don't have a motorcycle endorsement on your US license it is NOT valid for driving a motorcycle in Thailand. You need the motorcycle endorsement.

You probably wouldn't get in any trouble as long as you have a few Baht with you at all times but if you were in an accident any insurance you had might not pay as you were legal. If you don't have any insurance that isn't an issue.

Getting the license is pretty simple, it is mostly just a matter of taking the time to do it.

If you don't have a motorcycle endorsement on your US license it is NOT valid for driving a motorcycle in Thailand. You need the motorcycle endorsement.

You probably wouldn't get in any trouble as long as you have a few Baht with you at all times but if you were in an accident any insurance you had might not pay as you were legal. If you don't have any insurance that isn't an issue.

Getting the license is pretty simple, it is mostly just a matter of taking the time to do it.

Thanks. This was the answer I was looking for and figured all along.

• 2 months later...

I need a bike license.

If you dont have a motorcycle license wouldn't it be easier to pop down koh sang rd and grab a fake? its not like they can check it in USA or where ever.

You could probably even get a Thai one. Has anyone ever done it?

Sure its illegal but so is prostitution and "tea money" so no flaming please.

I need a bike license.

If you dont have a motorcycle license wouldn't it be easier to pop down koh sang rd and grab a fake? its not like they can check it in USA or where ever.

What would be the point in buying a fake Thai license?

I need a bike license.

What would be the point in buying a fake Thai license?

My license expired but just researched more and It can be renewed overseas. Didnt want to spend 4grand on a trip back to OZ :D . The Thai one I was just curious about

I need a bike license.

It is very easy to get a Thai drivers license at DLT

Bring

copy of passport with valid permit to stay

medical, issued by most clinics for 100 baht without consulting doctor

at DLT

Colorblind test and reaction test easy

30 questions in English language on a computer, each question 3 possible answers, 23 replyes need to be correct,

riding on a field, any size of legal bike, 10 minutes

if you fail come back next day or any day/every day within 90 days

DLT starts at 0845 and motocy completed before 1200

150 baht for DL including picture

I need a bike license.

Bring

at DLT

30 questions in English language on a computer, each question 3 possible answers, 23 replyes need to be correct,

Okay then sounds good. you pay 100 bht and they dont do a medical? no complaints there just a bit odd.

Im in and out on a tourist visa. but have a condo here, how long would the license be valid?

I need a bike license.

Bring

at DLT

Okay then sounds good. you pay 100 bht and they dont do a medical? no complaints there just a bit odd.

Im in and out on a tourist visa. but have a condo here, how long would the license be valid?

first license is a temp valid one year

next one, no testing, is valid 5 years, cost 5 times the one year IOW like 600 baht

thanks again, do i need to have a current over seas license as well or just roll up with a medical etc

No need for any previous license. But if you have in english language with picture , you may not need to do the theory and riding test

forgot, you also have to watch an hours movie about driving in Thailand

thanks again, do i need to have a current over seas license as well or just roll up with a medical etc

No need for any previous license. But if you have in english language with picture , you may not need to do the theory and riding test

forgot, you also have to watch an hours movie about driving in Thailand

thanks kata much appreciated

Getting a Thai drivers license is a pain in the &%$, no matter where you are. It is however important, because if you do not have any insurance coverage if you do not have a valid Thai drivers license. Genuine tourists on holiday may be different, but this being the land of scammers, I mean smiles :rolleyes:......

Getting a Thai drivers license is a pain in the &%$, no matter where you are. It is however important, because if you do not have any insurance coverage if you do not have a valid Thai drivers license. Genuine tourists on holiday may be different, but this being the land of scammers, I mean smiles :rolleyes:......

I dont recall my 3 hours at DLT to pass Thai DL tests as any pain. Thinking of it I had to go back after lunch to do the car test as well, so 5 hours for bike and car. Just memorize the poster with all road signs/paint and the movie, and thats all it takes to pass theorytest.

and you are right, if you live here or is here as a tourist for more than 90 days, Thai DL is required to have Insurance cover