Buying Things Online In Thailand?

otissp

I seem to have difficulty finding things online here in thailand.... computer stuff, books, household items, etc....

In the US I liked to do my shopping online. You can get anything you want online in the US, delivered quickly.

Is it just not that common here in thailand? I am not having an easy time finding things here...

Ebay.co.th redirects to shopping.co.th, and they dont seem to have much stuff there either.

Very hard to get computer equipment online.

Am I just incompetent? I dont search in thai much as my thai is limited.

I would ike to continue to shop online here, but I can never find what I'm looking for.

Any advice would be appreciated, thanks

IMO: A general lack of trust in business ethics and lack of consumer protection damage the Online sales here in Thailand.

Even with Pay pal, the 'trust' culture needs to be cracked. It's only a matter of time. Central are opening their online websites.

My wife has and online jewelry business but most of the sales are in person.

As a nation I find that Thailand is incredibly internet savvy in one aspect, then completely clueless in another (i.e. such as online sales) - It really is hit and miss and generally if you can't find something online it will be in a specific mall or part of town that sells what you need. Case in question: For Bangkok, IT Malls - Fortune Town, Phanthip Plaza etc... Once you find your way around each area has its specific 'zone'.

Well, amazon.com it ain't.

It's pretty much a case of find the vendor online then find the shop location then find a bus. I did it once for a camera and it took two trips to the bank for wire transfers and about 3-4 weeks.

thats what i thought.... ho hum.

add to the mix perpetual traffic jams and horrible public transport and it pretty much adds up to, it's really hard to get stuff here

Just think of all the money you'll be saving.

What is it you're after? Make a list, some of us might be able to help.

I am up-country so some things are hard to get: I've ordered many times new books from Asia Books and Kinokuniya, and used-books from DASA Books; and some small kitchen appliances from Verasu -- all very efficient and zero problems either with ATM-transfer or Credit card.

I guess I must be persistent and lucky as I have purchased many different things from distributors here in Thailand. Computer parts, sprinkler heads and parts, pressure tank and assorted other items. In some cases it took some diligence and waiting and exchanging of emails but in most cases I was successful. All payments were made using my local bank account and transfers to the company account. I always have received what I ordered and in a couple of cases for some repair parts of a coffee maker I had to send back and get another part (due to my error). Computer stuff ordered from InvadeIT was paid both using bank transfer and credit card. Excellent service from all vendors and once contact is established they all follow up to be sure I was satisfied.

I almost never have to call anyone or ask the wife to call. I have found many things and companies using the English version of the Thai yellow pages and searching for goods and services. Other things come from links here on ThaiVisa or another place. I am retired and spend a lot of time on line researching what I want/need.

Here we do not have the luxury of the on line shopping available in the US or Europe. Its starting slowly and takes time to find what you want and then in many cases a reply from a company is never received for whatever reason. This can be frustrating and discouraging.

Just wanted to say you can shop online but not the way you can back in you're home country.