Exchanging For Baht At Suvarnabhumi

sha1985

Hi Guys,

I am flying into Bangkok next week and was just wondering if anybody knows the current rate to exchange Aussie Dollars to Baht at the Airport?

I would normally not change anything at the airport, but I am flying straight out again so wont get a chance to go head into Bangkok and change the money.

Just seeing if the rate I can get at the Airport is better then the rates I can get in Aus,

Cheers

When I've compared the rate for USD, at the airport is somewhere around 1% worse than for the same bank outside the airport. Could be less than 1%, but I can't recall since it's been a few years since I've done that comparison. No idea if that differential is consistent for other currencies.

In my experience the Beureu De Change at Airports are the most expensive way of changing money into local Currency.

Its a double whammy, First there is a High Fee,and then there is a low Rate of Exchange. (thats how they make their money)

Your Hotel would give a better rate,if its a decent size one,or a Bank.

Done it in many Countries,and I dont use Airport Exchange Booths anymore.

Edited by MAJIC

In my experience the Beureu De Change at Airports are the most expensive way of changing money into local Currency.

Its a double whammy, First there is a High Fee,and then there is a low Rate of Exchange. (thats how they make their money)

That's nonsense !

In Thailand there are no private "Bureau de change"-operators at the airport. All moneychangers at Suvannabhumi are operated by regular BANKS.

as well there are NO CHARGES whatsoever. there is just one rate for BUYING and one for SELLING.

this is not Hong Kong or Australia.

Apart from that, the rates at the Airport are slightly worse than in downtown. at the Airport, the difference between selling and buying for currencies such as the US- or Singapore-$, Euro, Pound is around 5%. in downtown it's usually 2,5-3%

That's nonsense !

In Thailand there are no private "Bureau de change"-operators at the airport. All moneychangers at Suvannabhumi are operated by regular BANKS.

as well there are NO CHARGES whatsoever. there is just one rate for BUYING and one for SELLING.

this is not Hong Kong or Australia.

Apart from that, the rates at the Airport are slightly worse than in downtown. at the Airport, the difference between selling and buying for currencies such as the US- or Singapore-$, Euro, Pound is around 5%. in downtown it's usually 2,5-3%

The following quote is from Wikipedia"A bureau de change makes profit and competes by manipulating two variables: the exchange rate they use to calculate transactions, and an explicit commission for their service"

"Apart from that, the rates at the Airport are slightly worse than in downtown"

That was my point,which you appear to have missed.

Look up the full Wiki article.

Edited by MAJIC

I guess wikipedia is out of date then - most B de change I have been to do not charge a fee - they make their profit using lower buy and higher sell rates to increase their margin - but as was said above, there are none at swampy, only banks exchange kiosks (not private B. de change).

There are several bank desks in the airport (3rd floor - 2nd floor is you count Ground as 1) and their rates do differ, so take a wander before choosing. There are others in the departure (secure area) after customs but just before you meet people (if you haven't been to swampy before - you will see what I mean) - I have heard they are more expensive there than on the 3rd/2nd floor (captive audience syndrome).

Where are you flying onwards to OP? Presumably in Thailand. Some regional airports have bank exchange kiosks and the rates are usually appreciably better than at Swampy (probably not Pukhet of Koh Samui if those resorts are performing true to form!) Irrelevant if you are landing out of banking hours. Don't change too much at Swampy - you are bound to find baht at least a few % cheaper if you look around in your Thai destination the following day.

Always find a good ruleof thumb is to look up the forex rate on Bangkok Bank online website, then for sterling, the airport rate is usually about 1 baht lower, as the banks at the airport are not as competative as downtown Bkk..give you a pretty accurate idea of the AUS$ forex rate

If you want to know the rate for a given currency from so-you-wanna-boom-boom just let me know. My girlfriend works there, I can ask her to find out for you. I need to know the currency you are converting from obviously.

Also, as others have suggested the rates are not competitive. I normally only convert enough to get me to Nana and then change my money there - the money changers there have the best rates in Thailand. I have one changer who constantly gives me the best rates, she will beat all other money changers in the area. If you are interested, let me know and I will find out the exact name of the shop as my girlfriend is going there in a few days to pick up some USD for me. I also like dealing with her, as it is one of the few money changers around that is not owned by a Muslim. They do employ Muslims, but the Buddhist owner works during the day and is very nice.

I wont be subscribing to this thread, but you are welcome to send me a PM if you want the rates at the airpuerto, or want details on the money changer I have mentioned even just to compare rates :).

If you want to know the rate for a given currency from so-you-wanna-boom-boom just let me know. My girlfriend works there, I can ask her to find out for you. I need to know the currency you are converting from obviously.

Also, as others have suggested the rates are not competitive. I normally only convert enough to get me to Nana and then change my money there - the money changers there have the best rates in Thailand. I have one changer who constantly gives me the best rates, she will beat all other money changers in the area. If you are interested, let me know and I will find out the exact name of the shop as my girlfriend is going there in a few days to pick up some USD for me. I also like dealing with her, as it is one of the few money changers around that is not owned by a Muslim. They do employ Muslims, but the Buddhist owner works during the day and is very nice.

I wont be subscribing to this thread, but you are welcome to send me a PM if you want the rates at the airpuerto, or want details on the money changer I have mentioned even just to compare rates :).

You really are the king of Thailand aren't you!!!