Childcare

LisaB

Hi, I am moving to Koh Samui for 6 months at the begining of October. I am a qualified nursery nurse in Engalnd and have worked in a nursery for over 2 years where I was also Montessori trained. I have also worked as a nanny, caring for 3 children of varying ages. I am looking for a nanny position on Koh Samui working for an English, American or Australian family. I have a multipul entry visa valid for a year but unfortunately no work permit. I understand it is difficult to obtain nanny positions in Thailand but I am very much missing working with children and am open to offers.

I have a perfect thai nanny at the moment. 3000 baht a month. Would you do the job for say 6000? I have a small room available where you can sleep on the floor. And do cooking, cleaning, gardening and be present 365 days a year 24 hours a day.

You would be illegal of course (just a small technicality isn't it.) because you are not allowed to work, but you are in paradise where you can live cheap and if you have some time left, which i doubt because i have very busy children that need a lot of attention, you can enjoy yourself on the beach. And because you have no time to go shopping you still can save around 3000 baht a month so that after ten years you have saved enough money to go visit your family in Europe, only if you not get sick in the meantime because without a workpermit you probably also don't have health insurance.

Above sounds a little harsh but it is very close to the reality. I suggest you do some good paid nanny work in your own country and go on holiday to thailand a few months (Winter comes to mind) per year.

Although the response was very rudely put, KJ is correct in the picture that he painted. There are hundreds of Thai women that would be over the moon to work in the situation he described with the salery he suggested.

Your money will go a long way in Thailand if your wise. If your intention is to be on Samui for 6 months, my guess is that you have been there before. You may run across a work exchange somewhere, where you would work for food and a small room to sleep in. But you would be expected to pretty much be at work all day.

BTW working w/o a permit is a very touchy subject on this board