New Printer

Spaniel

Assuming you are in BKK, have a look round Fortune Town or Zeer Rangsit (if you are out near the airport). I avoid Pantip, too much hassle!!

There are loads of entry level printers in your price range, go for one from either Canon or Epson, refillable cartridges and ink are readily available for both.

Tesco (Rangsit) have a deal on Epson 1700 (I think it is) an all-in-one scanner and printer, two birds with one stone, about B3600 IIRC, they've also got an entry level Epson for B1750 ish. :o

EDIT Make sure that the printer has separate cartridges for the Cyan, Yellow, Magenta and Black inks, some low cost units have all the colours in one cartridge, can get expensive if you use a lot of one colour ink.

Edited by Crossy

For now, I would recommend the Canon IP3000. It's fast, it has good quality, the cost per page is lowest (of similar inkjets), and it can do quite a bit. Canon actually has new models, but Thailand lags behind the US by about half a year.

I recommend that you stay away from HP printers... their cartridges are the most expensive, and they have combined color cartridges (not separate... if one color is depleted, you change all three). This results in highest cost per page.

have you heard of zdnet or cnet? whenever I want to get product reviews or product comparison reports on various products including computer hardware such as printers, I refer to these websites for information.

www.zdnet.com

www.cnet.com

www.zdnet.co.uk

there are a bunch of sites that provide product reviews. just google to get a list.

personally, I am shopping for a new printer too. am looking at a multifunction inkjet rather than a simple inkjet printer. multifunction inkjet is also scanner, copier, and printer. some are even fax.

my budget is about 8k baht. and I am down to 2 choices, epson cx6500, or hp 6210.

the cost of ink is important so I'm looking at that as a crucial decision maker. (looking at refill kits.) but things that I am concerned about are

1) printer is network ready,

2) autofeed scanner capability,

3) can print on both sides without manually doing so.

4) copier function without having to turn on computer.

everybody is different. so, you have to make your own choice based on your priorities.

you need to do your own research via the websites.

hi'

for sure now, a canon ip3000 is the best value :o

separate cartridge for colours and a good rendering quality, can print cd too

firewire slot to plug a digital camera, and the result on photo paper good, as good as a photo shop :D

and beside this canon has the cheapest cartridge refill on the market :D

francois

ps: imho ... of course :D

Remember this when considering multifunction printers:

Jack of all trades, master of none.

I've had ZERO good experiences with multifunction printers. They are more trouble than they're worth. The *only* time when I would recommend them is when you're broke. Flat broke, and desparate. I've had to more service work on these pieces of junk than scanners, printers, and faxes combined.

If you are printing in volume, the best for cost per page is a laser printer. For this price, you'll only get monochrome, but you'll get chrisp text (much better than inkjet) on plain paper.