Buying An Internet Cafe In Thailand

Hello there,

I'm an international student seeking to buy an internet cafe business in Thailand. I saw and was in the process of making payment when the seller called and told me that the Thai government does not allow the transfer of ownership of internet cafe business to a foreigner.

Does anyone know about this? What does a foreigner need to do to have an internet cafe business registered on his name with a work permit??

Every advice will be highly appreciated...jap.gif

Jay

Keep your money in your pocket this another in the long list of losers.:whistling:

LMFAO biggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

Yes you may laugh... but an internet cafe is probably one of the most sure ways of losing any investment here in Thailand... apart from a bar of course... however from one of your earlier post it seems you may have a captive clientèle.....

''P.S: am a Nigerian National and a BA Accounting student in Bangkok Thailand in my second year with no criminal records both in Nigeria and Thailand.''

Good luck Sunshine

Internet cafes in Thailand are vulnerable to police street corruption. Internet cafes main source of income is Thai male students who play games and giggle at girls over the net. Cops ban them from the internet shop if the owner doesnt pay up every month. Out of business very quickly. Thais drop 150,000 baht. Forget it ! Stay at school and become a professional student for years. The real world is a tough place.

OP, it sounds like the seller has changed his mind or simply has no idea.

As a foreigner you can not own much in your personal name(just a car and a bike) however if you had a company, then there is no problem transferring ownership.

I hope you have not paid any deposits, and if you did, you got it back.

There is definitely something fishy about the seller.

He can not sell to a falang.

He can sell to a company where you can have max 49% of the shares.

For work permit.

1. The business must be registered in Thailand.

2. The company must be capitalized to at least Baht 2 Million while operating fund must be at least Baht 1 Million.

3. The company must have a ration of at least 4 : 1 - Four Thais for every foreigner.

For work permit.

2. The company must be capitalized to at least Baht 2 Million while operating fund must be at least Baht 1 Million.

3. The company must have a ration of at least 4 : 1 - Four Thais for every foreigner.

I do not think its 100% true.

Company can be a 1million baht company but then the owner will not be able to have a WP.

Also can buy an "old" company and can own it 100% after its been "promoted" by the Thai's

Company does not need 4:1 ration, this is needed ONLY if the owner(foreigner) wants a work permit.

For work permit.

I do not think its 100% true.

Company can be a 1million baht company but then the owner will not be able to have a WP.

Also can buy an "old" company and can own it 100% after its been "promoted" by the Thai's

Company does not need 4:1 ration, this is needed ONLY if the owner(foreigner) wants a work permit.

FOR A WORK PERMIT PoorSucker is correct. (different rules if married to a Thai).

If there is no work permit, then there doesn't really need any capitalisation - some, but not sure how much. There is obviously no Thai employee requirement if there is no work permit.

Foreign ownership can only be 49% (unless Amity company), but the foreign owner can not work for the company with out a work permit.

• 5 months later...

Long time ago - more then 10 yrs;there was internet cafe in BKK whose owner was foreigner,the same person who had the first internetcafe in the world - which was in London.

are you referring to " Cyberia " ?