Exporting From Oz, And Importing Into Thailand: A Basic Workflow?

Hi there

After thinking about exporting a product from Australia into Thailand, I now want to conduct a ‘trial’ run.

Based on my readings of many posts here and Internet info available, I understand that I need to:

1. Locate/Hire the services of a freight forwarder.

My questions at this stage are:

a. Do I have to pay Australian export duties? Is there such a thing? I’m sure there will be a swag of fees/charges etc!

b. Can I pay for everything (any export fees/import duty in Thailand/ freighting costs etc.) in Australia? Effectively, I want someone in Thailand to walk in to wherever the goods are stored, pick up the goods, and leave.

2. Arrange for Someone in Thailand to Pick-Up My Goods

My questions are:

a. Can my someone in Thailand freely/easily pick-up the goods? Or would they have to go through a lengthy process?

b. Do I need to hire the services of ‘customs clearance’ officials, or anyone else for that matter, in Thailand?

Thanks for reading. Look forward to your thoughts and comments, both positive AND negative  .

It sounds like you are a beginner like me but i did a weekend course (2 Saturdays) in Sydney that answered all your questions plus more. Here is a link ,Lance Scoular -import -export courses. .There are other courses too that could be just as good .

Hope that is a help even tho i did not answer your questions directly .

Hi Xen

Cheers for the advice. I did look into a few courses in the Brisbane and Gold Coast areas where I currently reside. Not much doing right now though.

Have you started your business/import-export project yet? How's it going? Good Luck with it.

Cheers.

ok, I am a freight forwarder and with the information given I will try to ansewr this as good as I can.

I assume you want to ship "general cargo", i.e. nothing that requires import or export licenses, dangerous goods, foodstuff etc.

Yes, you can send goods with duties paid at origin. The incoterms are DDP (Delivered Duties Paid). In practice, this is rather uncommon and at least the duties should be borne by the importer. Part of the reason is, the duties must be paid in cash to the customs and if you want to do this through your forwarder they will use an exchange rate that will guarantee no losses on the forwarder's side...B)

Charges you will face:

Look at the transport chain, you will have:

• Pick up charges, probably a fork lift must be mobilized. All that costs money
  • Customs clearance out of Australia.
  • Port charges (THC)
  • The seafreight (usually the smallest portion in this transaction)
  • Port charges at destination
  • customs clearance at destination
  • delivery to your customer

For airfreight it is pretty much the same.

Feel free to send me more info my PM, we are sponsor to this board.

ok, I am a freight forwarder and with the information given I will try to ansewr this as good as I can.

I assume you want to ship "general cargo", i.e. nothing that requires import or export licenses, dangerous goods, foodstuff etc.

Yes, you can send goods with duties paid at origin. The incoterms are DDP (Delivered Duties Paid). In practice, this is rather uncommon and at least the duties should be borne by the importer. Part of the reason is, the duties must be paid in cash to the customs and if you want to do this through your forwarder they will use an exchange rate that will guarantee no losses on the forwarder's side...B)

Charges you will face:

Look at the transport chain, you will have:

• Pick up charges, probably a fork lift must be mobilized. All that costs money
  • Customs clearance out of Australia.
  • Port charges (THC)
  • The seafreight (usually the smallest portion in this transaction)
  • Port charges at destination
  • customs clearance at destination
  • delivery to your customer

For airfreight it is pretty much the same.

Feel free to send me more info my PM, we are sponsor to this board.

Cheers Raro!

Yes, I've read a lot of your stuff on this sub-forum and I thank you greatly for your contributions. :)

You have assumed correctly Raro: my cargo is of a general nature.

Couple of questions/issues:

1. Regarding customs clearance at destination, can anyone do that? Or do you have to hire someone in that business in Thailand? For example, can a close farang friend of mine go to customs, pay the duty, and collect the goods?

2. If I were to DDP my cargo with a FF company, would they oversee and administer all charges associated with the whole supply chain, so that effectively the cargo can just be picked up in Thailand?

3. Finally, do you do business in Australia? I read here that you mainly do business in Europe/Russia, right?

Can you recommend any FF companies here in Brisbane? Your advice is appreciated.

Cheers again.

thans for the flowers!

To answer your questions:

1. Regarding customs clearance at destination, can anyone do that? Or do you have to hire someone in that business in Thailand? For example, can a close farang friend of mine go to customs, pay the duty, and collect the goods?

in principle, yes. Anyone can go to cutoms and clear goods out. There must be a reason why there are people like us around who do this against a small fee (we're talking about 3,000 Baht). Depends on how much your time and headaches cost...

2. If I were to DDP my cargo with a FF company, would they oversee and administer all charges associated with the whole supply chain, so that effectively the cargo can just be picked up in Thailand?

If they do a DDP job, they DELIVER the goods to your doorsteps.

3. Finally, do you do business in Australia? I read here that you mainly do business in Europe/Russia, right?

Can you recommend any FF companies here in Brisbane? Your advice is appreciated.

We have our own offices or close affiliates in 120 countires. Australia is one of them. We do have a Brisbane office under the same ownership as in Thailand.

B)