Where To And Where Not To Get Translations Done In Bangkok

brucegoniners

Yesterday my wife took some documents we wanted translated to a company in Bangkok called Express Translation Service & Travel, Ltd. They are located at 866 Ploenchit Road in the Lumpini area, just off of Sukhumvit Road. They also have another branch right across the soi. They promised that the work would be completed at 11 am the following morning. My wife and I left our condo just before 11 and my wife called to confirm it was ready on the way. There was no answer. When we arrived, at about 11:20 they told us the documents would be completed in 30 minutes. We weren't happy about it, but I waited while my wife went to get some food. She came back in 30 minutes and still no docs. We got the standard "just a minute". When I really started to get upset about the thing not being ready the lady in charge left and went across the soi where the work was being done. Keep in mind this was just a U.S. Passport and a marriage certificate. Not real complicated stuff for a halfway decent translation service, which they are not! Finally after another 20 minutes I told my wife to tell the other woman that they had 5 minutes to get us our docs or I was pulling the work from them. She came back 5 minutes later with only one document, the passport, translated! She gave us back our deposit at least.

We walked down toward the U.S. Embassy and were asked by a guy in front to come upstairs to their translation place. I have to admit I wasn't too enthusiastic about the idea. But when we got upstairs I met the manager May. She was great. First I told her about our other experience, so I said not to BS us about how long it will take. She then asked what we needed the translation of the marriage certificate for. It turned out that what we needed it for wasn't going to work for our purposes and that we needed to go to the U.S. Embassy (good thing we were next door) and get an affidavit done and then get that translated. So the first place not only didn't do the work, but they were told what we needed it for and either didn't know or didn't care that it would have been a waste of money. As it was, it was a waste of time, just as bad in my opinion. May quickly translated the document for only 300 baht! And I'm talking about in mere minutes!

I would highly recommend May's firm, ITS at 89/12 Embassy Resident Building, Room 205 on Wireless Road, near the Rolex Building. Her number is 026515927.

Another option is Thai Visa Express run by ex-pat Paul. I've just used them for the first time, albeit remotely from UK, and the service was perfect and modestly priced. Offices in Chonburi and in the UK but no doubt if you're in Bangkok and do not need the documents the same day, consider them. I was mightily impressed with their effort and quick communication - something lacking in many other organisations now.

Bruce...would I be correct in assuming you needed the documents translated so you could register the marriage with the Amphur? If so, you are the first one who I read about who needed his passport translated. Did the Amphur ask you for that when you registered the marriage, if indeed that's what you were doing with the documents?

Although not in Bangkok I use a service which is virtually by return, at least next day, and I've never been there.

It is near Jomtien

I email, scan or photograph stuff to them

Even better, they are very very helpful sort of secretarial service and offer to go with you to help with whatever

They publish their prices so you do not need to worry about getting scammed.

I don't think it is right to advertise here, but if anyone wants the link to their website please PM me.