Photo Electric Cell, Wiring Question

mario299

Electrical question, looking for a little help. I Bought a couple of photo electric cells to make my gate lights come on after dark, so I don't have to turn on the switch in the house. The new photo electrics come with three wires, black, white and red and the gate lights are run with only two wires, black and white. Where does the red go, assuming it would be black to black and white to white. This is certainly not the first head-scratcher I have had with power here. Any help?

:huh:mario299

Only thing I know is that you cut the red one to stop a bomb detonating.

:D

Sorry mate, I could not resist.

Ok, joke aside.

Interesting question.

I guess the red is for grounding?

Sometimes gadgets come without the grounding point.

Just a guess.

I have a PE cell I just looked at (still in the packet :D) - only two wires and its for direct inline wireing. Are you sure yours is? ...and its not just a powers sensor that sends a small base charge (probably down either the red or white - whichever is thinest probably) to flip a digital switch - i.e. a sensor meant to hook into something else that just acts as a trigger rather than a direct switch? Just a thought (I have a couple of those too - they are meant to be wired to a NAND gate - digital electronics - as a beam break sensor)

Hope this helps

Black is power. This is supply power, always on.

White is neutral, connect it to other neutrals.

Red is the switch lead, this will connect to the device you want to control.

The device usually has a white & a black or colored wire.

The white is connected to the white of the photo cell & must also have a connection with the neutral. Usually all the neutrals/whites are grouped together with other neutrals from other devices.

The black or colored wire of the device is the load & is connected to the red of the photo cell.

Power arrives to the photo cell on the black wire[line]. When the photo cell is no longer gathering light it switches the power arriving on the black wire to the red wire [load]

Hope this helps

The white is connected to the white of the photo cell & must also have a connection with the neutral. Usually all the neutrals/whites are grouped together with other neutrals from other devices.

The black or colored wire of the device is the load & is connected to the red of the photo cell.

Power arrives to the photo cell on the black wire[line]. When the photo cell is no longer gathering light it switches the power arriving on the black wire to the red wire [load]

Correct. And you should wire it in anywhere between your existing switch for the gate lights and the first gate light. Then you can still turn off the lights if you ever have the desire, and it's just the right way to do things. You will only need one, unless you have the gate lights split from each other into seperate circuits. Better to install it somewhere with cover from rain (but ensure it gets sunshine!)

Hope this helps

Correct. And you should wire it in anywhere between your existing switch for the gate lights and the first gate light. Then you can still turn off the lights if you ever have the desire, and it's just the right way to do things. You will only need one, unless you have the gate lights split from each other into seperate circuits. Better to install it somewhere with cover from rain (but ensure it gets sunshine!)

and make sure its not hit by car lights

Hope this helps

Thanks all for your replies, (even the humorous one...everyone should laugh), I'll give it a go after today. Appreciate the help!

mario299 :jap:

It's even more interesting if it can 'see' the lights it controls. :)

or even more exciting the neighbors lights controlled in same way :)

I have a few of these sensors in each house, and even if I consider where to install them, I sometimes miss a light source. So if you dont mind long wires, all in one posistion I find best