The Cheap Carriers To Uk And Back

theoracle

Hi All,

I am looking at round trip flights from BKK to London and would like some reviews from people who may have used any of the following airlines who are offering the cheapest tickets I can find.

These airlines are offering return tickets for around 30,000 THB with a short stop each way.

1 - Aeroflot with a stop in Moscow

2 - Air india with a stop in India somwhere

3 - Kingflisher with a stop in India somewhere

4 - Jet airways with a stop also in India I think.

Any one with any experience of the above. cheers Paul.

Any other cheap deal recommendations also appreciated, travelling end of feb.

Suggest searching this forum for details on the India flights, generally very poor ratings all around for Kingfisher/Jet/Indian Airways.

Apparently great fro an adrenaline rush but not recommended.

Good Luck, cheap rarely means good or in this case SAFE.

Just do a quick search in this forum by entering Jet airways and you'll see many threads similiar to your question.

Edited by CharlieH

Eva air have a special offer on 31300baht 1 month stay, and 33300 3 month stay, see here - http://www.saveflights.com/

i have been quoted 34750baht for a 3 month open return flying out early april, by mtt see here - http://www.mtt-pattaya.com/

I have also been looking at the cheaper airlines as you have listed and after doing some reading kingfisher came out on top but who knows? i would prefer one of emirates, Qatar or etihad, but they are all looking at high 30,000's

did a quick check for late Feb , for 21 days Qatar were showing at 33,00baht see here - http://matrix.itasoftware.com/view/flights?session=979916af-85e5-4d03-8e3e-219b55739856

good luck which ever way you choose

Suggest searching this forum for details on the India flights, generally very poor ratings all around for Kingfisher/Jet/Indian Airways.

Kingfisher has a very good reputation http://www.airlinequality.com/Forum/kingfisher.htm

The problem with flying through India is the airport not the airline.

Jet and Kingfisher have new fleets of planes and there safety records are good. Indian food do you like it thats what you get. So far I would prefer Jet, Kingfisher were not well organised in my opinion. Kingfisher have changed the flight time for me so my connection now only has 1 hour at Mumbai so I will see if I make it before I judge them. The Indian airports leave a lot to be desired, not an experience to be looked forward too.

Good Luck, cheap rarely means good or in this case SAFE.

Just do a quick search in this forum by entering Jet airways and you'll see many threads similiar to your question.

I have just returned from London on Jet Airways again. I have used Jet on a regular basis since 2009 between Bangkok and London. The airline is good. It is a fairly young company, with a young fleet of aircraft. The service on board is always friendly and attentive. The food is either Indian or International cuisine.

In my opinion they are better organised than some of the supposedly bigger and better airlines. All in all, I have been happy with Jet.

As mentioned in this thread, it is the Indian airports that are letting the experience down; it is totally out of the hands of the airlines. All transfer passengers are subjected to security checks by Indian military personnel when they arrive on a flight say from London, as they enter the terminal. The security guards are lazy, non-caring, rude, arrogant, slow and couldn't care less whether you miss your connection or not.

Having said that, airline representatives hang around the security area in case passengers are being held-up and possibly delay the departure of an aircraft. My last flight - 30 January - security took 40 minutes. once cleared I could board straight away for my Bangkok flight.

One other warning!!!

If you transfer through either Mumbai or Delhi, please be aware that if you purchase any liquids (water, perfume, alcohol etc) they (security) will apply the 100ml liquid rule! Meaning that if you buy a bottle of alcohol or a bottle of perfume and the contents is over 100ML, it will be confiscated!! I have seen many people arguing and girls in tears as expensive perfumes were confiscated.

It makes no difference whether your purchase is in a sealed bag from a trustworthy airport like Heathrow or Amsterdam.

Another plus was, that Jet upgraded me to Business on my last London to Mumbai flight. Very comfortable. Thank you Jet Airways!

The other thing Jet did for me, was to 'status match' me with THAI. I was a Gold member with THAI but due to price I have been giving them a miss. I e-mailed Jet and asked if they would 'status match' me? They asked me for a scanned copy of my THAI Gold card and a week later I had a Jet Gold card, valid for 1 year in my letter box. This means that I can carry on using the THAI lounges in Bangkok and London and in Mumbai or Delhi I can use the Jet lounge.

All small things that make a valuable difference. Thumbs up for Jet Airways !!

I am now ready to be bombarded with different opinions............

Frm-Bkk

Edited by FRM-BKK

I flew LHR-BKK-LHR via Moscow with Aeroflot about 10 - 12 years ago, with my daughter who was about 18 at the time, and I think I can safely say that it was the worst airline I've ever flown with.

Never again.

The leg from London to Moscow (and back) was ok - fairly new plane, not bad service. But the Bangkok leg was terrible. Old planes (the seats on the 747 I flew back on were so worn that the sponge was quite literally falling out, and the plastic covers below the arms aisle-side were broken, jagged and sharp. The carpet was like you encounter just under the bar in a busy pub - sticky and disgusting.)

The service was appalling. Unpleasant, sullen cabin crew who were downright rude to you if you had the temerity to request a drink or anything else that meant they had to actually do something.

I laugh about it now, but it was truly grim.

But I suppose it was a few years ago. Perhaps they've changed since then.

However..............................never again........................

Bring back the Commies, the old Tuplovevs with porcelain toilets, gilt mirrors, wooden tables, perspex bomb aimer's nose cones, wash-hand basins, cowed apparachiks, paranoid crews and the obligatory on board fat, dumpy and dangerous female leather coated barking commissars. Those were the days!!

I flew LHR-BKK-LHR via Moscow with Aeroflot about 10 - 12 years ago, with my daughter who was about 18 at the time, and I think I can safely say that it was the worst airline I've ever flown with.

Never again.

The leg from London to Moscow (and back) was ok - fairly new plane, not bad service. But the Bangkok leg was terrible. Old planes (the seats on the 747 I flew back on were so worn that the sponge was quite literally falling out, and the plastic covers below the arms aisle-side were broken, jagged and sharp. The carpet was like you encounter just under the bar in a busy pub - sticky and disgusting.)

The service was appalling. Unpleasant, sullen cabin crew who were downright rude to you if you had the temerity to request a drink or anything else that meant they had to actually do something.

I laugh about it now, but it was truly grim.

But I suppose it was a few years ago. Perhaps they've changed since then.

However..............................never again........................

I have used both Jet and Air India and found them both excellent, new planes, excellent check-in at LHR, great food, (I love Indian food). Delhi airport is definitely better than Mumbai, not so many transit passengers so less queuing and less abuse from the military goons checking your hand baggage, as stated above airline staff try their best but these arrogant sods are a law unto themselves.

As mentioned in this thread, it is the Indian airports that are letting the experience down; it is totally out of the hands of the airlines. All transfer passengers are subjected to security checks by Indian military personnel when they arrive on a flight say from London, as they enter the terminal. The security guards are lazy, non-caring, rude, arrogant, slow and couldn't care less whether you miss your connection or not.

Having said that, airline representatives hang around the security area in case passengers are being held-up and possibly delay the departure of an aircraft. My last flight - 30 January - security took 40 minutes. once cleared I could board straight away for my Bangkok flight.

Frm-Bkk

Have to agree with this earlier quote. Jet were fine but the Indian Airport staff leave a lot to be desired......

I fly this route BKK-LHR at least 4 times a year, and have tried Thai, BA, Ethiad, Eva, Garuda,Quantas...In my opinion, Eva have been consistant and competative every time..they have an offer on at the moment, and i always use Bangkok Best Flights...google it or PM me for the link...very good and hassle free sevice...credit an account number and the e ticket is issued instantly...by all means shop around for the best rate, but it would have to be a substantial saving for me to choose any airline other than Eva...modern aircraft, good stewardess service,couldnt find a complaint in well over 20 flights with them

Agreed. Eva is the best airline for the money on the LHR-BKK or vice versa route, I used to fly down from Manchester to LHR just to use the EVA service, rather than any other carrier from Mcr.

Thai Airways planes are shoddy inside.

I dont think you can beat flying direct.

You can sometimes get a good deal on their Premium Economy seats. Bigger seats with slightly upgraded service etc.