What Criteria Do You Look For?

Tod Daniels

There was a semi-interesting thread on here the other day which I responded to. Alas, it is no longer available.

It did however get me thinking; (not all that easy a thing to do at my age)!

So I ask the Thai language learners and posters out there two questions;

1) What qualities do you look for in a private Thai Language teacher?

2) What qualities do you look for in a private Thai Language School?

The reason I ask is;

On the now defunct thread, I posted what I thought were valuable criteria which I look for in a private Thai language teacher. Another poster known whose forum name eludes me, posted nearly the exact opposite list as far as what they felt was important for them. This disparity in 'needs' by foreigners as far as qualities to look for in a Thai language teacher prompted me to make this post.

I hope this can be a good thread, get a lot of valuable input from the forum members and NOT degenerate into another, well another one of "those" kinda threads.

I'll make another post on this thread as far as what criteria I look for in both schools and private teachers, but I wanted to get the thread started.

Note 2 mods: PLEAZE Delete this thread! !!

IF after 70+ views there’s NOT a single response, PLEASE delete this thread. ..

Sorry I even asked the question… Which has probably been asked before time and again. ..

Note 2 mods: PLEAZE Delete this thread! !!

IF after 70+ views there's NOT a single response, PLEASE delete this thread. ..

Sorry I even asked the question… Which has probably been asked before time and again. ..

Well - Tod

In a way - a difficult question to answer - since I have definite ideas on aquiring languages (including my own experiences). I DO NOT subscribe to the idea that we all learn differently. I do believe we have more in common (as language learners) than we have differences. To say "we all learn differently" suggests to me that the issues involved are too difficult to comprehend by the individual who claims it - which I certainly understand since it delves into multi disciplines way beyond the average person.

I have not yet seen a systematic analysis of the process of learning languages (but I have read opinions) that also incorporates a systematic, scientific analysis of how the mind works (psychologically AND biologically), how to optimize the learning process and even how to modify biological/psychological difficulties.

Without going much into details - the best process - in my opinion - should include:

1) a form of "total immersion" for adult students - and by that I mean using concepts in different circumstances to inspire thought - not just "parrot like reading"

2) a minimum of transliteration (only in the beginning)

3) reading AND writing Thai script from the beginning on.

4) requiring homework to assure a continuation of the learning process beyond the classroom.

Edited by Parvis