International School Hiring Season Begins...

JimShortz

Just a reminder for those who have full teaching credentials and want to teach in Thailand that now is the time to start checking international school websites. The British school that I work at in Chiang Mai, along with most others, are at the stage of renewing contracts for those staying and advertising jobs for those leaving. They are often not advertised for long so I recommend weekly checks if you want to get the job at your school/place of choice...

Happy hunting

Would that be Lanna?

It would indeed :D, but really the advice is more general - the timing is the same for all the schools.

Actually there are only 3 people leaving our place this year, I believe, so not many jobs available with us for this coming year...

Hi Jim, do you have any reason not to employ teachers working in EP programs in Thailand? I ask this because I applied to several international schools in BKK last year and didn't get an interview. I have worked in an EP as a maths teacher for 10 years, and during that time did my Grad Dip Ed through an Australian university as a distance student.

It seems most international schools here prefer teachers with direct experience of the relevant curriculum and/or working in a western school.

Hi Jim, do you have any reason not to employ teachers working in EP programs in Thailand? I ask this because I applied to several international schools in BKK last year and didn't get an interview. I have worked in an EP as a maths teacher for 10 years, and during that time did my Grad Dip Ed through an Australian university as a distance student.

It seems most international schools here prefer teachers with direct experience of the relevant curriculum and/or working in a western school.

It depends on which internationals you are applying to. Many of the 'home country' curriculum internationals (British, American etc) require home country certification. School I am currently at has EFL teachers who are not home-country certified but hold MA's in Linguistics, TESOL etc.

Edited by Phatcharanan

The more mediocre int. schools start their process about now, but the top schools have finished their hiring for next year months ago. The top schools start looking at resumes in Nov. and extend to the job fair in Jan., which was a few weeks ago.

Happy Hunting!

Mid-January was the FIRST Search Associates (main agency for hiring international school teachers) fair in Thailand this year... as usual

Keep going. If you have valid certification from your home country you do indeed have a chance for a job in an international school.

Some of the "top" international schools have a policy of only ever hiring from abroad as they believe it gets them better teachers, but I am personally far from convinced of this from what I have seen (unless by better you mean great on paper). It also often means that they have massive staff turnover as the people they employ are playing the international circuit and have no intention of staying for long...