Mounting My Phone On My Bike

ChangNoi1

I have a HTC HD with GPS (Google Maps & Garmin XT)and would like to mount it to my bike (in a save way).

I do not worry about rain as first of all I will try not to drive in the rain and otherwise I can stop and put the phone in my bag.

Actually as the phone has also a good camera it would be nice to be able to mount it in a way that I could also use the camera (maybe after a bit of adjusting the setting of direction of the phone).

But here in PTY I did not find any shop that sells something that I can use.

Anyone knows a shop in PTY, Chonburi or Bangkok that would sell GPS-mounts for bikes?

Yes I know I could buy a special GPS for bikes with mounting and I could buy a small handy camera for on the bike but my phone has all of that already.

Chang Noi

I will recommed RAM mounts also. Very top quality hardware. About 1200 from Gadgettrend for the medium sized generic mount that holds my iPhone, or GPS or camera. Very easy to mount. But that said, here is something you might want to take into consideration. I had my brand new iPhone 4 mounted and went for a little ride. When I got back home and took out my phone, I noticed that there was an impact spot on the back of the phone where a small rock had flew up and hit it. There was no protection from the mount there. Luckily, I had my phone in a case, and no damage was done to it. But the impact was very close to the unprotected camera lens. Since then I have been looking for a way to shield the phone from flying debris. Ram makes a waterproof enclosure for their mounts, but then I can't use the phone while it is in there. Maybe a clear plastic shield on the back? I am not sure yet.

I will recommed RAM mounts also. Very top quality hardware. About 1200 from Gadgettrend for the medium sized generic mount that holds my iPhone, or GPS or camera. Very easy to mount. But that said, here is something you might want to take into consideration. I had my brand new iPhone 4 mounted and went for a little ride. When I got back home and took out my phone, I noticed that there was an impact spot on the back of the phone where a small rock had flew up and hit it. There was no protection from the mount there. Luckily, I had my phone in a case, and no damage was done to it. But the impact was very close to the unprotected camera lens. Since then I have been looking for a way to shield the phone from flying debris. Ram makes a waterproof enclosure for their mounts, but then I can't use the phone while it is in there. Maybe a clear plastic shield on the back? I am not sure yet.

Thanks, yep that was/is my consideration also ... as I have a car-mount of what I could use a part to mount with a clip on my handle-bar. But even in my car I sometimes lose my phone. In the car no problem but on a motorbike .....

For the Iphone the should be for sale some kind of cases with a at least a clear plastic front. Still your camera lens would not be free then. Well I have to be in BKK anyway this week so I will check some shops ... also GadgetTrend (I like gadgets anyway).

As my phone is almost the same size of a Iphone I could use some after-market things for a Iphone.

Chang Noi.

Thanks, yep that was/is my consideration also ... as I have a car-mount of what I could use a part to mount with a clip on my handle-bar. But even in my car I sometimes lose my phone. In the car no problem but on a motorbike .....

For the Iphone the should be for sale some kind of cases with a at least a clear plastic front. Still your camera lens would not be free then. Well I have to be in BKK anyway this week so I will check some shops ... also GadgetTrend (I like gadgets anyway).

As my phone is almost the same size of a Iphone I could use some after-market things for a Iphone.

Chang Noi.

You could also try www.gpsforyou.com they are in BKK and sell the full range of Ram mounts including the Ram aqua box to stuff your phone in to keep it dry, delivery is quick and cheap obviously with no import tax, run the site through Google translate.

gps4you.net

Thanks .... it seems that they might have what I am looking for ....

Water Resistant Hard Case with Bike / Motorcycle Mount.

SKU: AKAI-GPS032.

Compatible: ALL 3.5 "GPS (Nuvi 2xx, 12xx).

Will contact them today to check if they really have it in stock so I can test/try it on my phone.

Chang Noi

OK Yesterday I went to the GPS4u Shop at IT Mall (2nd floor, Fortune Tower at MRT Param 9) and indeed they have a impressive collection / stock of all kind of mounting for motorbikes, cars & bicycle's. The hard-case that I was looking for was much too big for my phone. And the staff was not very helpfull in finding sollutions. Language made be a part of that but also their instructions "This part is for device X" so if you do not have device X you can not even try it. They also have a shop at MBK.

Next I went to GadgetTrends at Amarin Plaze (Outdoor area all the way behind at the 2nd floor, at BTS Chidlom) and also they have a great collection / stock. It looks like the have a full RAM collection in stock. And the sales lady did speak my language and was very helpfull and did know everything about the product she is selling.

So I bought a RAM-mount for my bike which are actually 5 parts and a RAM-mount for in my car (using some of the same parts that I will use on the motorbike). Looks to me like very good & strong products.

One disadvantge of what I bought (mount holder for a Iphone) is that my camera is coverd. So no video's (or I should make a tiny hole in the holder).

Chang Noi