Where To Live For 2 Months ?

strikingsunset

Advice Please.

I am in Bangkok for another 2 weeks and want to head somewhere else in Thailand for 2 months.

I have been looking at forums and was thinking maybe Udon Thani ( but I dont Speak Thai,a post said some thai essential there) and a friend suggested Hua Hin.

I would like some nightlife but not wild.

Ideally a place where there are some expats/expat life around.

I am on my own right now ( unfortunately) so would be nice to find a nice thai lady,not a bar girl,but that seems hugely difficult to do.

My needs are therefore ;

Apartment with air con,wifi,in room safe.

Some expat/night life

Decent Gym nearby

Maybe somewhere where its reasonablly safe to cycle around.

Somewhere that is more manageable,eg not a huge city.

Somewhere,where i feel reasonably safe.Normally not something I worry about until I read some scary posts.

Sorry if I,m a bit vague,hope you guys out there can give me a few positive pointers..........

Try Khon Kaen?

I know about some apartments exactly like you describe.

Nightlife in Khon Kaen is indeed not to wild.

Some Thai language would be nice, but you can go around without that knowledge.

Ladies galore........

Having spent some time in Udon Thani I would say some Thai whilst helpful anywhere in thailand is nice but NOT essential up there, huge expat community and quite a large city.

Also has a good airport for easy transfers.

Edited by CharlieH

Having spent some time in Udon Thani I would say some Thai whilst helpful anywhere in thailand is nice but NOT essential up there, huge expat community and quite a large city.

Also has a good airport for easy transfers.

Take a good look at Chiang Mai. It has all you want and more.

Thanks for your replies,I have done some more research and I think its between Udon Thani and Khon Kaen.

I want somewhere with some life but not where i am swallowed into an urban mass.

Also, its obvious i have got to kick my own butt and learn some thai language,no excuses this time.

Is there any reason why I should settle in one place over the other ? I would be really interested in your thoughts.

Many Thanks

Thanks for your replies,I have done some more research and I think its between Udon Thani and Khon Kaen.

I want somewhere with some life but not where i am swallowed into an urban mass.

Also, its obvious i have got to kick my own butt and learn some thai language,no excuses this time.

Is there any reason why I should settle in one place over the other ? I would be really interested in your thoughts.

Many Thanks

Why not try Udon for a week and Khon Kaen for a week?

Then decide where you like it most?

Send you a message too.

Theres more farangs in udonthani.It's possible to get A room for 250-350 baht,maybe cheaper.They have A morning market and A night market for your food.

I'm not A backpacker but if I was I believe I could live at udon on 500 baht A day.I know for A fact ya can live on 1000 baht A day at udon with no problem.Very economical city.

Try Cha am, its only 90 minutes from BKK....cheap rooms or hotels, air con room in main soi 4,500 a month inclusive...cheap seafood, great for cycling, miles of beach, about 50 beer bars,plenty of restaurants and always some kind of festival or concert almost every weekend...plus most people speak English...try it for a day, its only 160 baht from Victory Monument

Many Thanks

You did mention the right place when you said Hua Hin, and not so far from Bangkok... anywhere in Issann and you are heading into dangerous waters, Somali pirates would be like angels in comparison... or swimming is a river full of Piranhas would be much more pleasurable than life anywhere in Issann for a single man.. There should be a huge sign when approaching Korrat, ANYONE ENTERING this area risks losing his common sense, his life savings, his independence, and maybe his very life..!! Shame on you for even giving this dangerous land some thought... have you been drinking Ya-Dong..? Try Hua Hin, you will love life there and 2-3 hours back to civilization whenever you need it... But a word of warning which you will probabaly already know, so more a reminder... How can you tell when an Issann girl is telling a lie... Yes , you remember... Her lips are moving...! Haha..... just for fun...... take care and stay safe wherever you go........ enjoy Amazing Thailand......

• 1 month later...

I would go to Khon Kaen but I have never been to Udon Thani so my view is biased!

Smaller expat community than UT but a nice city! From what I have read there is more of a bar girl scene in UT but scratch the surface in KK and you will be rewarded!

I would go to Khon Kaen but I have never been to Udon Thani so my view is biased!

Smaller expat community than UT but a nice city! From what I have read there is more of a bar girl scene in UT but scratch the surface in KK and you will be rewarded!

The thread's a couple months old now so nothing we say will be relevant. Apparently the OP never made it to Chiang Mai which was the really really obvious choice.

Try Cha am, its only 90 minutes from BKK....cheap rooms or hotels, air con room in main soi 4,500 a month inclusive...cheap seafood, great for cycling, miles of beach, about 50 beer bars,plenty of restaurants and always some kind of festival or concert almost every weekend...plus most people speak English...try it for a day, its only 160 baht from Victory Monument

I agree with cha-am, give it a try, most people who come here they love it