C.M. To Doi Mae Salong

elektrified

I've got some friends visiting that want to go to Doi Mae Salong in the next day or two. It's been a while since I was there and I think I actually went there while on one of my trips to Chaing Rai so I can't advise my friends on how to get there from C.M. I think one way is to take the bus from Chang Phuek Bus Station to Tathong, but from there I am not sure.

Does anyone know the best way to get there and how to get back?

Thanks in advance.

I don't think it is accessible from Thaton by public transport, that road is for motorcycles. Taking the bus to Chiang Rai should be very straight-forward.

I googled "get to doi mae salong" and this came up immediately - How to get there: Doi Mae Salong is located on Route 1089, 40 kilometres from Mae Chan. It is possible to get to the mountain by bus from Chiang Rai to Ban Basang (fare 15 Baht) where you can pick up a Songtaew to the mountain top (50 Baht).

The 9.00 bus from Chang-Puak Bus Station usually connects (walk 150m further up-the-road from where the bus stops, just over the bridge) with the last yellow-songthaew from Thaton to Mae-Salong, fares last week were 90B for the bus & another 60B for the song-thaew. This is a fun local-bus, not any sort of air-con luxury-one, ideal for backpackers of all ages ! This route is paved all-the-way, and has less bends & scary/scenic-drops, so you're less-likely to throw-up !

The other alternative-routes are Green-line bus (CM-Arcade to Mae-Sai) to Mae-Chan, then 60B for the green songthaew (last connecting-departure is 1pm from Mae-Chan) or get off the Green-line a few km later at Posang, and pray that one of those unbusiness-like b*stards driving the blue songthaews feels like doing the run. These can depart as late as 5pm, but will usually go only once they have 8 passengers (at 60B), or have talked you into (out of desperation) paying a higher fee ! I once waited, with my kids, from 12am until 5.15 before they finally deigned to depart. This is not what I would call a scheduled-service. And they drive the bendy route too fast, IMO, but it is more-scenic.

Happy Trails ! B)