Online Wire Transfer Out Of Thailand?

I use Kasikorn Bank and do online transactions all the time with very few problems. I want to transfer money out to an international account but I can't do it unless I'm in country because part of their security is requiring an authorization code to be Texted to your Thai mobile number. I understand why they are doing this and it's a great idea, but very Inconvenient for me when I'm not there.

Does anyone know if there in another bank that doesn't require this feature?

Thank You!

Thanks for the suggestions guys but they are very specific about using s Thai phone. I'm moving the whole family to the states for a few years at least so I'm not sure about leaving the phone on roaming. It could work because I pay the bill (AIS) online already but if something happened to the sim I could have a problem!

The policy is just an extra measure of security. With my stateside accounts thay either ask for my debit card number or send me a verification email before I can do an international wire transfer online. I was hoping some one had knowledge of the policy's for other Thai banks.

Thank You Again!

HSBC would fit your needs and they have branches in Thailand and the Uk and more countries. We use them to send money between branches and online in the USA, UK and Europe. But if you do it often and only between USA or UK and Thailand then Bangkok Bank is better, lower fee and better rates. Bangkok Bank operates branches in New York in USA and London in the UK as full UK & USA legal banks.

Edited by gosompoi

If you intend to keep your AIS phone number anyway, then its relatively low risk that your SIM will malfunction as long as you're not swapping it in and out of your phone frequently. You would only need to turn the phone on when you're about to make a transaction and expecting to receive their SMS message, so don't need continual roaming.

Bangkok Bank doesn't require an SMS for international funds transfer, but the setting up of the international beneficiary account needs to be done while in Thailand, and they will look for you to confirm your source of Thai funds once a year, which can be done by fax, but you do need to have to evidence of the locally earned funds.

Thanks for the suggestions guys but they are very specific about using s Thai phone. I'm moving the whole family to the states for a few years at least so I'm not sure about leaving the phone on roaming. It could work because I pay the bill (AIS) online already but if something happened to the sim I could have a problem!

The policy is just an extra measure of security. With my stateside accounts thay either ask for my debit card number or send me a verification email before I can do an international wire transfer online. I was hoping some one had knowledge of the policy's for other Thai banks.

Thank You Again!

AIs thai phones work perfect in america so no worries

As Aurelius says, Bangkok Bank doesn't use texted codes for transaction authorization but does require that the initial beneficiary setup be done in person at a branch. Authorization to use online telegraphic transfers must be renewed each calendar year and requires one of:

1. Proof of income letter from an employer in Thailand,

2. Proof of a Thai relative residing permanently outside of Thailand to whom you are transferring funds, or

3. Proof of a Thai relative studying outside of Thailand to whom you are transferring funds.

As Aurelius says, Bangkok Bank doesn't use texted codes for transaction authorization but does require that the initial beneficiary setup be done in person at a branch. Authorization to use online telegraphic transfers must be renewed each calendar year and requires one of:

2. Proof of a Thai relative residing permanently outside of Thailand to whom you are transferring funds, or

3. Proof of a Thai relative studying outside of Thailand to whom you are transferring funds.

Incredible! I've sent millions of Baht in to Thailand with no questions asked!

I just double checked K Banks policy before posting and they do not have similar requirements. The Sim card is looking better and better!

Thanks For The Info!

Incredible! I've sent millions of Baht in to Thailand with no questions asked!

I just double checked K Banks policy before posting and they do not have similar requirements. The Sim card is looking better and better!

Thanks For The Info!

All banks operate in Thailand under the same regulations. These are not things each bank comes up with. This is to prevent money laundering, including terrorist financing, among other things.

Call K Bank because if I am not mistaken you can set it up to use your PIN2 instead of the SMS OTP (one time password) BUT you will have to be in Thailand to receive the OTP via SMS before you can go into your account settings to change it to PIN2

I would give you the url but it would only be for my account

Call K Bank because if I am not mistaken you can set it up to use your PIN2 instead of the SMS OTP (one time password) BUT you will have to be in Thailand to receive the OTP via SMS before you can go into your account settings to change it to PIN2

I would give you the url but it would only be for my account

I use Pin2 now, but for International transfers you need to use the SMS OTP. As I said before I have very few complaints about Kbanks online banking. I've been using it for over a year and never really had a problem!

Thanks!

Thank You Again!

Thai phones do work in the U.S., but you will need a SIM card issued from say a major carrier such as AT&T. Though the costs are very, very high, 1 dollar a day for use of phone number, plus you are charged for both inbound /outbound calls and SMS.

Otherwise, you can buy a second hand one in a pawn shop and top it off with whatever carrier it had before.

This is for DTAC, but it should apply to AIS as well

First, you must have a phone that works in the US (usually called a Tri Band)

Second, contact your Thai carrier and request that they enable "international roaming", DTAC did it for a one time fee of 20 THB

You are not charged for International incoming SMS messages

Keep your phone off and only turn it on when your are expecting your OTP from Kasikorn, to eliminate the chance of anyone calling you on that phone number and racking up high fees

The only wrinkle in this scenario is if, while in the US, you are out of range of a partner carrier, then obviously you will not be able to receive the OTP within the allotted time span

I have many internation transfers - and with various banks.

Top of the list with regards to reliablility, speed - and cost is HSBC.

Good alternative is UOB. Bangkok Bank quite low on my list.

Anyway - best to keep your mobile phone, activate international roaming.

Locking a card when lost/stolen takes 6 minutes - I use DTAC and you can even do on-line if you have a statement with all required details.

Getting a new card in person DTAC = 1 hour, AIS is one day. Regardless you can keep account in Thailand and use automatic DIVERT all incoming messages in case not answered.

ALL banks in Thailand are now setting up to use One Time Password phone activation.

Thank You Again!

Thai phones do work in the U.S., but you will need a SIM card issued from say a major carrier such as AT&T. Though the costs are very, very high, 1 dollar a day for use of phone number, plus you are charged for both inbound /outbound calls and SMS.

Otherwise, you can buy a second hand one in a pawn shop and top it off with whatever carrier it had before.

In my case i did not need a sim from a USA carrier or did i need a different phone number. My ais sim works in the USA and many other countries. I just turn the phone on and it is like magic :). The cost of a sms is high but wont put me in the poor house...Less then .50 cents if i remember.

Edited by yankee99