Udon Thani

typhoon

Went to udon yesterday,seems so dead,bars closed,for sale notices,whares all the falangs gone???just saw loads of old guys with young gfs,hummm never mind,alll to there own.high air fares.crap exchange rate??? any thoughts??? :huh:

Easy, just stay in the shlt holes of Pattaya, Phuket or wherever. For 10 years I've lived just far enough out of Udon to visit every now and then and know where I'd rather be.

Can't figure where the x-rates available in Udon differ from the rest of Thailand????

• 4 weeks later...

Just be careful about your choice of a hotel or guest house if you are visiting.

I had a "shocker" of an experience at one of the properties featured and a sponsor of Udon Map.

More when I compose my thoughts!

Come on don't hold back. Tell us the juice part.:whistling:

Let's see. Dead is translated as: no Farang around, no Farang related bars/restaurants/clubs/etc. I wouldn't call Udon dead just because there is not much in the ways of "Farang" activities or gatherings......guess it depends on one's perspective. DEAD.

seems dead everywhere,not a good time for a business here ryt now.i think???

yep , especially in udon , over the last year , gone quiet , less visitors sure ,

sorry , but i think the decline will continue .

the golden oldie farang, with his life savings , and company / goverment pensions ,

should weather the crash in exchange rate , that coupled with the hassle ,

thai immigration are giving over the changes to obtainig a visa ,

are making other asian countries a better option to visit or retire in .

i would like to look for greener pastures , but i lack the energy .

so i will just make do , with a large leo beer , and a small thai lady ,

in quiet udon.

Udon was around long long before the arrival of Farand, and will be there long long after Farang depart. This cultural self-importance thing baffles me.

True, but you are on a farang forum Jeff, so most would expect a farang outlook from your fellow farangs.

:jap:

Hi all

I was in Udon last year and will be going in a months time. Udon is far from a dead town its a thriving city you just need to know where to go, however as said by previous posts it all depends what you are looking for.. There is a new development call Udon Town that has only been around for the last year or two that has everything from a Macdonalds to designer clothes shops. There is a fantastic night market and a beautiful park. Two specific areas dedicated to farlang bars and most important a real acceptance of farlangs. I have always felt welcome in Udon and everytime I go there is always something new and upcoming. However, if you judge Tailand through looking at it from the bottom of a beer glass Udon is not the place for you. My outlook has always been to live and let live but I feel it is wrong to judge all places and people from one's own perspective.

Hi all

I was in Udon last year and will be going in a months time. Udon is far from a dead town its a thriving city you just need to know where to go, however as said by previous posts it all depends what you are looking for.. There is a new development call Udon Town that has only been around for the last year or two that has everything from a Macdonalds to designer clothes shops. There is a fantastic night market and a beautiful park. Two specific areas dedicated to farlang bars and most important a real acceptance of farlangs. I have always felt welcome in Udon and everytime I go there is always something new and upcoming. However, if you judge Tailand through looking at it from the bottom of a beer glass Udon is not the place for you. My outlook has always been to live and let live but I feel it is wrong to judge all places and people from one's own perspective.

Could not agree more. I have been visiting Udon regularly for the last eighteeen months. Whether thriving or not Udon suits me fine as a place to go with my gf for a quiet weekend or to use as a staging post before travelling further north to visit one of the many quiet towns situated on the Mekong.

Plenty of affordable accommodation here with friendly natives.

The night market is growing and is not a painful, pressured experience as you might find in CM where annoying hawkers are thick on the ground. Udon Town has lots to offer shoppers and I couldn't give a monkey's about the bars.

Went for dinner with my gf to a steakhouse in Udon Town. Ordered Coca Cola with the meal. The postmix machine was broken so the girl waiting on us offered to go out and buy us a bottle to have with our meal.

This is typical Udon hospitality. Don't think I'd get the same service in BKK.

Udon offers a typically friendly Isan welcome as far as I am concerned but then again I am easily pleased.

No need to rabbit on as those that prefer the Pattaya and Phuket lifestyle would get bored very quickly.

Udon will do me. Quiet is good.

Udon was around long long before the arrival of Farand, and will be there long long after Farang depart. This cultural self-importance thing baffles me.

correct .

so many foreigners/ farangs like to think ,

they are the best thing , that has ever happened to thailand .

what a fool believes .

True, but you are on a farang forum Jeff, so most would expect a farang outlook from your fellow farangs.

Cheers, David! Love, ya!B)