Petrol Stations May Close Earlier

george

Petrol stations may close earlier

BANGKOK: -- The government might require petrol stations to close earlier to stem consumption in the wake of Hurricane Katrina, which devastated the US Gulf of Mexico states and has pushed up global oil prices after forcing several refineries to close.

Cherdpong Sirivich, permanent secretary for energy, said petrol stations could be asked to further reduce their operating hours and close an hour earlier at 9pm.

When the high oil prices first hit last year, 24-hour petrol stations were first required to close from midnight to 5am and then they were asked to close at 10pm.

“The energy-saving campaign has been successful in the past three months but we need to step up the campaign. We are reviewing the measures that were postponed such as the early closure of petrol stations. But we have yet to finalise the new closure time,” he said.

The authorities are also considering lifting the maximum loading capacity of trucks from 25 tonnes to 26 tonnes.

Sophon Amthong, chairman of the Federation of Thai Industries’ transport and logistics club, said the loading capacity issue should be finalised before October, when major transport companies are due to review their service contracts for next year.

“We believe the 26-tonne figure is appropriate for the current situation as high oil prices eat into the companies’ profitability.”

He said transport companies are likely to adjust their prices upward by 10 per cent to cope with higher oil prices.

The Energy and Commerce ministries will meet representatives of the Land Transport Department tomorrow to discuss the implementation of extra energy-saving measures for oil trading companies and refineries.

This follows discussions held yesterday in response to a demand by Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra for extra measures to prepare for a further rise in oil prices.

The world oil price spiked above US$70 per barrel after Hurricane Katrina swept through the US gulf states. The price eased below $70 after the release by industrialised nations of emergency oil stocks to prevent a US fuel crisis after the disaster.

By 5.45pm yesterday Bangkok time, London Brent crude was off $1.38 at $64.70, back to levels seen before Katrina disrupted US oil production and refining operations. Earlier, fears of supply disruption were expected to raise the oil price above $80 per barrel.

Domestically, retail prices continue making new records. Octane-95 gasoline is now priced at Bt27.14.

Cherdpong said that despite the easing price, oil prices should generally remain high, especially late this year when demand for diesel should increase.

“We need more stringent measures but we will make sure that they will not hurt the public much,” he said.

After tomorrow’s meeting, he said, the agreed measures would be forwarded to Energy Minister Viset Choopiban for approval.

--The Nation 2005-09-06

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

BANGKOK: -- The government might require petrol stations to close earlier to stem consumption in the wake of Hurricane Katrina, which devastated the US Gulf of Mexico states and has pushed up global oil prices after forcing several refineries to close.

Cherdpong Sirivich, permanent secretary for energy, said petrol stations could be asked to further reduce their operating hours and close an hour earlier at 9pm.

I find it hard to believe that these early closing measures save any appreciable amount of petrol. If the amount of petrol sold has decreased since the early closings, I would credit the increased cost of the product during that period as achieving the desired effect rather than the cutting the operating hours of the petrol stations.

Radio Thailand said EIGHT o'clock on this mornings bulletin .....

That really is just about on the line for me, any earlier and I'll have to go out at lunch time to buy fuel, what's that going to do for traffic?

Like others, I really don't understand how closing outlets earlier reduces consumption. I suppose if they continue long enough the stations won't be open at all :o

Like others, I really don't understand how closing outlets earlier reduces consumption. I suppose if they continue long enough the stations won't be open at all  :o

If the powers-that-be were really serious about reducing petrol consumption, they would slap a 10 to 15 baht per litre tax on fuel and eliminate any remaining subsidies on diesel. They never will because they know what impact such a move would have on the Thai economy. Instead, they resort to these "show measures" like early closings.

Service stations may have to close at 8pm

BANGKOK: -- Petrol stations may be forced to close as early as 8pm, or two hours earlier than now, under a government policy aimed at encouraging the public to conserve fuel energy, said Cherdpong Siriwit, the Energy Ministry's permanent secretary, yesterday. In July, the government ordered petrol stations to close from 10pm to 6am as part of an energy conservation programme. Only stations on main highways are exempt from the order.

Mr Cherdpong said yesterday that soaring global oil prices could force the government to shorten operating hours of petrol stations even further.

He asked oil company executives yesterday to fully cooperate with the government's energy-saving programme, which could include earlier closing hours for night entertainment places and golf driving ranges.

Authorities are expected to finalise and submit a new package of energy-saving measures for cabinet approval tomorrow.

Mr Cherdpong said the private sector's cooperation was crucial to the country's effort to cope with the energy crisis.

``We need to consider how we are going to handle the situation if oil prices increase by another US$5-10 per barrel,'' he said.

Oil prices closed lower on the world market yesterday after the 26-member International Energy Agency announced it would release an additional two million barrels of oil per day into the market to ease supply constraints.

Benchmark crude prices rose to new levels of over $70 per barrel last week in the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina, which has caused severe disruption to oil refining capacity in the southern United States.

Brent crude in London yesterday traded at $64.85 per barrel in midday trade, down $1.21 from Friday.

Executives of oil companies said yesterday that they were willing to cooperate with the government, but raised questions about whether shorter operating hours would genuinely be of any help in saving energy.

Chumchanit Chitman, director and retail sales manager of Esso (Thailand), said the operators were losing four baht per litre on premium petrol at current prices, and one baht per litre on diesel.

Cutting the operating hours of petrol pumps could also affect jobs as service stations may start downsizing their workforces in order to cut costs, he said.

--Bangkok Post 2005-09-06

Why not instead slap a ban on trucks and buses that waste fuel by not burning it properly? Enormous amounts of fuel are pumped out into the air because they just run the engines until they break down instead of doing the maintenance needed to keep them clean and fuel efficient. The cost for fixing the engines will in most cases be paid by reduced fuel costs and would improve the BKK air quality immensely.

In other words, simply let every bus and truck operator know that they have one year to fix their engines. Any remaining vehicles that emit black smoke are not allowed on the streets after that period expires.

In other words, simply let every bus and truck operator know that they have one year to fix their engines. Any remaining vehicles that emit black smoke are not allowed on the streets after that period expires.

That'll never happen. The cops would have to do some actual work enforcing that measure. Easier just to close the petrol stations earlier and earlier and earlier... :o

I had to spend already twice a night in Pattaya because I was low on fuel. The first time when they enforced the midnight closing and the second time when the 10 pm closing hit me by surprise. Here's a letter to the editor I wrote after the first forced night-out:

It filled my heart with joy when I left Pattaya last night to go back home, realizing that the law and order brigade finally enforced the law for closing down the gas stations past midnight for the sake of saving energy for the Kingdom. Probably, not having enough petrol in my tank, for the 40 km trip, I used about two liters of fuel cruising up and down Sukhumvit and side streets, while I was desperately trying to find an open petrol station. I understand, sometimes personal sacrifices for the wellbeing of the whole society are necessary. Luckily Pattaya’s finest were busy enough with enforcing their ban on nightly petrol purchase, so that the obviously understaffed vice suppression department overlooked a couple of watering holes where I was able to wash down my frustration before checking into a hotel, thus supporting Thailand’s ailing tourist industry. May I qualify now as quality tourist since I spend some extra bucks for nothing or just as a victim of someone who completely lost the plot?

Maybe restricting sales of new vehicles would be a better way to go? Or introducing an 'odds and evens' driving days, depending on your plate numbers? I guess that would just lead to a new racket in trading number plates...

The authorities are also considering lifting the maximum loading capacity of trucks from 25 tonnes to 26 tonnes.

I thought the limit was determined by how much you could stuff in, pile up and strap on. Or by the point where the suspension collapses, such that the wheels no longer turn.

It's hopeless. The only solution is to start shooting motorists that break the law.

Don't fret, It's only been a few years since you couldn't buy petrol in certain parts of australia that wasn't on a roster. Although it's clearly stupid, it'll have ethe effect of making roads and forecourts more jammed at 6pm trying to fill before going home.

what does work is the odd/even system, where half the cars are off the road on one day, and the other half on the next. (taling the last number on the # plate)

Well I think It does help sometimes. Most of the unplanned visits just to pass time will be cancelled with less fuel thing. every single drop counts. I am not saying that its the best option. definitely the person who desperately needs to go will somehow find a way to tackle the things but those who just make programs to spend some merry time late hours without any pre plans can just drop the idea for lack of fuel.

not that bad idea also.

limit sale of conventional fuels like 91,95 and disel at each pump. - quota

pramot gasohol ................. for time being

pramot for NGV conversions - a simple tric you can deduct amount from your I-tax. our PM is using this tric many times to creat cash flow.

NGV distribution and pumping open for 24 hours.

Don't fret, It's only been a few years since you couldn't buy petrol in certain parts of australia that wasn't on a roster. Although it's clearly stupid, it'll have ethe effect of making roads and forecourts more jammed at 6pm trying to fill before going home.

what does work is the odd/even system, where half the cars are off the road on one day, and the other half on the next. (taling the last number on the # plate)

we had a similar system in europe a while ago, didn't bring any results:

people with enough money have two or more cars, they don't care.

people with only one car find a partner to travel with him and vice versa; = additional costs and fuel spending to bring the car to the partner and pick it up, as well as much more driving on "allowed" days just to be sure you got everything and have done everything! :o

but hearing that stations close at 10.00pm puzzles me : this for the whole country ???

as recently I have been driving from Isaan to BKK (N 2) at night and plentyof stations where open : filled my tank around 11.00pm between Saraburi and BKK on the way to the airport, and when coming back, near Chok Chai at about 03.00am! :D

I find it hard to believe that these early closing measures save any appreciable amount of petrol. If the amount of petrol sold has decreased since the early closings, I would credit the increased cost of the product during that period as achieving the desired effect rather than the cutting the operating hours of the petrol stations.

One could also suppose that there hasn't been a drop in consumption from the already in place restriction of hours. If there had been, I'm sure they would be harping on and on about it. Where's the govt. spokesman proclaiming, "We've lowered consumption already by closing at midnight.. and seek to lower it further."

BANGKOK: -- Petrol stations may be forced to close as early as 8pm, or two hours earlier than now, under a government policy aimed at encouraging the public to conserve fuel energy, said Cherdpong Siriwit, the Energy Ministry's permanent secretary, yesterday. In July, the government ordered petrol stations to close from 10pm to 6am as part of an energy conservation programme. Only stations on main highways are exempt from the order.

Emphasis mine. <deleted>??? So this means that all one needs to do is head out to a main highway, waste yet more petrol in the process, and there one can fill up to their hearts content?

Mr Cherdpong said yesterday that soaring global oil prices could force the government to shorten operating hours of petrol stations even further.

I fail to see the direct relationship between the two concepts (i.e. rising prices somehow leading to shorter selling hours).

The Thai Govt needs a good financial advisor. Any one with even a average knowledge of economics will tell you that the if the demand for a commodity with the supply being the same , the prices will rise. and that i turn will reduce the demand. So its a vicious cycle that takes care of itself.

All the thai give needs to do is Increase Prices + drop any subsidies. the problem will be solved itself. This idea of reducing the petrol pump open time will not affect consumption to any appreciable limit.

This has nothing to do with petrol consumption because anyone who wants it will just buy it earlier.

Can anyone here honestly say they will use less fuel?

This is about control, as are most of the other measures this government puts in place.

This government takes control and drip feeds the public what it feels fit and what suits them to stay in power.

Personally I preffered the openly corrupt prior govennments where the corruption spread far down the line to the ordinary guys to this western style corruption where only the top few and their mates can benefit.

Again its all about control, control the small every day things and people don't notice.

The world oil price spiked above US$70 per barrel after Hurricane Katrina swept through the US gulf states. The price eased below $70 after the release by industrialised nations of emergency oil stocks to prevent a US fuel crisis after the disaster.

By 5.45pm yesterday Bangkok time, London Brent crude was off $1.38 at $64.70, back to levels seen before Katrina disrupted US oil production and refining operations. Earlier, fears of supply disruption were expected to raise the oil price above $80 per barrel.

Cherdpong said that despite the easing price, oil prices should generally remain high, especially late this year when demand for diesel should increase.

Further to this article taken from 'The Nation', CNN reports that the majority of these oil refineries have restarted production, hence the fall back in oil prices.

But, coming closer to home, maybe by implementing this earlier closing of petrol stations the Thai Government hopes to stop the midnight cowboys racing their motorbikes along the Sukhumvit and Rachada Roads.

And what about Toxin Shittywater's statement that there is no water crisis on the Eastern Seaboard? This sloping shoulder comment about it not being our fault but due to US refineries might mean that there been a serious drop in the local output of gasoline and diesel in Rayong, Map Ta Phut and Laem Chabang........hence lights out at 9 p.m!

This idea of reducing the petrol pump open time will not affect consumption to any appreciable limit.

Is it even honestly expected to do so?

Ovenman's conspiracy theory of the day: I have maintained all along that the early closing of petrol stations is nothing more than a smoke-screen for furthering the government's social order campaign. Let's face it, the powers-that-be don't want people out late hours (both Thai and farang). Better that folks are home sleeping or gabbing on their mobile phones. By making petrol generally unavailable in towns, it's almost as though the authorities have imposed a de facto curfew without having to actually implement an explicit curfew.

Further to this article taken from 'The Nation', CNN reports that the majority of these oil refineries have restarted production, hence the fall back in oil prices.

But, coming closer to home, maybe by implementing this earlier closing of petrol stations the Thai Government hopes to stop the midnight cowboys racing their motorbikes along the Sukhumvit and Rachada Roads.

And what about Toxin Shittywater's statement that there is no water crisis on the Eastern Seaboard? This sloping shoulder comment about it not being our fault but due to US refineries might mean that there been a serious drop in the local output of gasoline and diesel in Rayong, Map Ta Phut and Laem Chabang........hence lights out at 9 p.m!

Well lets see, India and China have about 1/3 of the world's population between them, Thailand needs to sell them trucks, which use oil, which increases demand which increases the price, which tightens the supply...hmmm, we'll have to look into that. Meanwhile, water is the most sensitive to electric prices...which means we can...move to a colder climate...better manage our irrigation...start learning how to swim with the dolphins...?

The Thai Govt needs a good financial advisor. Any one with even a average knowledge of economics will tell you that the if the demand for a commodity with the supply being the same , the prices will rise. and that i turn will reduce the demand. So its a vicious cycle that takes care of itself.

All the thai give needs to do is Increase Prices + drop any subsidies. the problem will be solved itself. This idea of reducing the petrol pump open time will not affect consumption to any appreciable limit.

This is the core of the problem, The Thai Govt tries to fix problems themselves.

Take the BTS for an example, they hired an foreign company to do it, because they can't fake knowing how to build an elevated train.

But for something like economics and energy problems the Thai Govt can fake that the actually have enough knowledge to fix this problem.

When most foreigners with Western educations know that a Thai politician is about

as qualified to fix a economic problem of this complexity as the guy selling Sum Tom is at designing microprocessors.

Need to hire some Western advisors if they are actually serious about improving the problem, as the best they can come up with on there own is closing gas stations earlier and earlier.

Just got back from The Land of Not So Many Smiles on sunday and my friend and cabbie khun 'steve' was less than appreciative of toxin's attitude that petrol prices Will go up according to world oil prices BUT cabbies CANNOT increase the fares. More costs less wages, how soon before we see NO cab willing to work on the meter and charge a ridiculous fee just to cover costs and eke out an even more meagre existence. There are decent cabbies in LOS and how the ###### can a metered ride of 50KM cost 280bht ish (i think) incuding fuel and wages for driver be fair or is that fare?