Bmw 320 D Or Benz 250 Cdi

bkmbkk

I'm looking into BMW 320 d or Benz 250 CDi - anyone out there that has one of these models ?

What do you think of your model ?

Can they run on B 10 or higher ?

The Benz has a bit more power 204 Hp and 500 Nm - Bmw has 184 hp and 380 Nm (according to their web sides).

The BMW 2010 model looks better with different front and rear lights (than precious model) - but according to some info I found on the net it also have 20 Hp less than the previous model (eventhough it isn't something you feel).

The Benz cost app 300.000 Bht more than the sport BMW, that cost 3 mill.

Is it worth paying the extra 2-300 Thousand for the sport model BMW - say I will change alu wheels anyway, and go for the SE model ?

I have read a lot about the BMW in various magazines and they all say it is very good ,if not the best saloon in that class.

I like them both - it seems the Benz hold the price better than the BMW here in LOS.

That means there are some good second hand BMW now for better discount than the Benz (if I go 2 nd hand).

I'm also considering the Benz as I like the torque of that car and good second hand prices (when I sell) + the car looks great.

What would you choose ?

Thanks

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pretty sure the BMW 320D had a power upgrade last year from 177hp to 184hp now ,not sure where the 20hp less comes from?

New 3 series due soon ( worth bearing in mind) with 3 cyl 1500cc deisel (half of 330d engine) with 150 bhp maybe this is what your refering to?

http://www.autoexpre..._uncovered.html

Edited by br12stol

Pretty sure the BMW 320D had a power upgrade last year from 177hp to 184hp now ,not sure where the 20hp less comes from?

New 3 series due soon ( worth bearing in mind) with 3 cyl 1500cc deisel (half of 330d engine) with 150 bhp maybe this is what your refering to?

http://www.autoexpre..._uncovered.html

I think it was on you tube I saw some car tests where they claim the 2010 model has 20 Hp less than the previous model.

If I remember correct BMW want's to make better fuel consumption numbers and therefore down powered it a bit.

I think it was on you tube I saw some car tests where they claim the 2010 model has 20 Hp less than the previous model.

If I remember correct BMW want's to make better fuel consumption numbers and therefore down powered it a bit.

: 320d EfficientDynamics

OTR Price: £27,900

Fuel: Diesel

BIK (%): 13%

CO2 (g/km): 109

Combined fuel consumption (mpg): 68.9

Performance (hp): 163

0-62mph (secs): 8.0

OK understand now, you were looking at the Efficient Dynamics model to keep C02 low for european models which is as you say 163 bhp, the thai models are 184bhp,

looked at the BMW range recently and was blown away by the new 5 series, I know its abit more 3,699,000 but fantastic car , like a mini 7 series. Not a fan of the mercs myself .

looked at the BMW range recently and was blown away by the new 5 series, I know its abit more 3,699,000 but fantastic car , like a mini 7 series. Not a fan of the mercs myself .

The 5 series is for sure a nice car.

A bit too big a frame for me though - around the smaaler sois - I prefer the 3 series

BMWs are great cars if you like being locked out of them...by the car itself. They apparently have a mind of their own...look around this forum if you don't believe me :lol:

I got the BMW 320d LCI, with M-sport styling, and a full remap of the ECU to about 220hp and 450nm. I'm very happy with it. Great handling and performance. I love the iDrive (hard drive based entertainment) system with TV-option and DVD playback. The service is great. 5 years BSI. My dealer is foreign owned, and they provide a very personal touch to the ownership and follow up.

I got the BMW 320d LCI, with M-sport styling, and a full remap of the ECU to about 220hp and 450nm. I'm very happy with it. Great handling and performance. I love the iDrive (hard drive based entertainment) system with TV-option and DVD playback. The service is great. 5 years BSI. My dealer is foreign owned, and they provide a very personal touch to the ownership and follow up.

I'm glad you are happy with your car.

I live in Phuket and it would properly be the best to establish a relationship with the dealer here - but I would like to know where you bought your car (if possible) ?

Where did you upgrade the ECU and have you had it in a dyno ?

I have always upgraded the stereo in my cars and properly will again, but the original is good as I understand ?

I am abroad scraping money together, but later this year the deal will be done - Benz or BMW - don't know yet but it will be a diesel.

I'm glad you are happy with your car.

I live in Phuket and it would properly be the best to establish a relationship with the dealer here - but I would like to know where you bought your car (if possible) ?

Where did you upgrade the ECU and have you had it in a dyno ?

I have always upgraded the stereo in my cars and properly will again, but the original is good as I understand ?

I am abroad scraping money together, but later this year the deal will be done - Benz or BMW - don't know yet but it will be a diesel.

I bought it in BKK.

I installed a bluefin, which is a portable Superchips remap. Can be uninstalled/reinstalled with a touch of a button. No dyno. Haven't seen the necessity of doing one.

The stereo system in the beemer is by far the best original stereo system i have come across, with bass speakers installed under the front seats.

Which dealer in BKK? and are you happy with the service? English spoken

I'm eyeing up a new 523d but I live up north so I'll have to travel down to get one.B)

I just checked the BMW web side and as fdar I can see there is no 523 d for sale with them - it is 525 d (nice car :) )

I'm eyeing up a new 523d but I live up north so I'll have to travel down to get one.B)

I just checked the BMW web side and as fdar I can see there is no 523 d for sale with them - it is 525 d (nice car :) )

which is a 3,0 6pot, detuned to fit below 220hp tax barrier in LOS :P

I'm eyeing up a new 523d but I live up north so I'll have to travel down to get one.

I bought from Nelsons Autohaus. Its actually in Chonburi, but they'll gladly serve u in BKK. The dealer is American owned. You can talk, negotiate, discuss etc. For me this was a big plus, as I like to ask many technical questions and so on. They have native english speakers dealing with service and so on. They pick up my car for my service, and delivery it later on. The customer service i've been met with so far, is great :)

I bought from Nelsons Autohaus. Its actually in Chonburi, but they'll gladly serve u in BKK. The dealer is American owned. You can talk, negotiate, discuss etc. For me this was a big plus, as I like to ask many technical questions and so on. They have native english speakers dealing with service and so on. They pick up my car for my service, and delivery it later on. The customer service i've been met with so far, is great :)

[/quote

Thank You

• 2 months later...

Unfortunately if you buy the 2010 or 2011 320d you can't use a Bluefin to increase the performance via the OBD11 port.

The new models have an anti tamper feature built into the ECU.

You can only use one of the plug and play piggy back systems unfortunately.

BTW if you read any of the UK forums you will find that the 320d wins hands down over the Benz 250Cdi.

As for my opinion they are both German therefore top-quality as for the Mercedes you generally get all the luxury feel and I know they spent a long time developing their diesel engine and for the BMW they and they are known for their sporty cat like handling so at the end of the day it's up to your own opinion as you can see everyone has their own opinion but that only one that counts is you

and another thing is the four-cylinder diesels still sound like a diesel

When I got my c320cdi which if you don't know is v6diesel

there was c220cdi idling out the front and it was quite louder than my V6 diesel and I asked the salesman why and he didn't know it's interesting you would think the V6 diesel would sound louder

I would always buy BMW over Mercedes.

I have had 4 , and one Benz , only the Benz gave me grief. :angry:

Another poster stated that the Stereo System in the BMW was superb, I would have to strongly disagree, They are connected to a computer so that when you drive faster and create more engine noise the volume increases and then decreases as you slow down. I found this most annoying and asked if it could be disconnected but they said no. I had a 325i until recently, I sold it as I hardly used it, but as far as driving goes they are a sheer delight.

My wife recently commented when talking to a Thai motor dealer Thai's veiw BMW's as sporty, racy cars and Mercs for the Hi-so crowd, for example it's rare to see a woman in a BMW, but half the Benz drivers I have seen on the road are women.

But as also mentioned there is a new 3 series model going to arrive in Thailand early next year, it looks crap from what I have seen of it compared to the present 3 series , but no matter Thai Bimmer lovers will buy them and the resale value of an older model will drop. Also I cant speak for Benz but Bimmers do not hold their value as much as I thought they would. Mine lost 250,000 baht a year over the four years I had it. I won't buy another in Thailand, purely becuase of price and tax.

Another poster stated that the Stereo System in the BMW was superb, I would have to strongly disagree, They are connected to a computer so that when you drive faster and create more engine noise the volume increases and then decreases as you slow down. I found this most annoying and asked if it could be disconnected but they said no. I had a 325i until recently, I sold it as I hardly used it, but as far as driving goes they are a sheer delight.

My wife recently commented when talking to a Thai motor dealer Thai's veiw BMW's as sporty, racy cars and Mercs for the Hi-so crowd, for example it's rare to see a woman in a BMW, but half the Benz drivers I have seen on the road are women.

But as also mentioned there is a new 3 series model going to arrive in Thailand early next year, it looks crap from what I have seen of it compared to the present 3 series , but no matter Thai Bimmer lovers will buy them and the resale value of an older model will drop. Also I cant speak for Benz but Bimmers do not hold their value as much as I thought they would. Mine lost 250,000 baht a year over the four years I had it. I won't buy another in Thailand, purely becuase of price and tax.

Thanks for the inputs !

When I wrote the first post in Feb. I was leaning most towards the Merc. 250 cdi, but now it is the BMW that has my attension.

There is quite a few of the new BMW 2010 model 2nd hand at around 2,3-2,5 mill for the top model - that is app half a mill down from new price so the first big loss is taken.

Still hasn't bought ,but it is closing in on the BMW - has to be diesel !

Sounds terrible that the stereo turns itself up and down when the noise increases.

Both cars are very nice and the torque (500 nm) of the Benz sounds almost too good to be true.

that's crap in my old car you could turn off that function by going into the audio settings I can tell you that Mercedes will always have diesel engines that are better than bmw after all who was the first to run diesel in cars

IMO i'd have the S-Class Vs the 7 Series and the SL Vs the 6 Series. Apart from that I'd have any other BMW over it's Mercedes rival any day.

My last Merc was the CLC 200D. Sold it within 6 months. Very poor in all respects. The 120D was far far far better.

• 1 month later...

hi,

Do you know what is the cheapest new BMW or Benz available in Thailand now ?

Thanks.

According to BMW webside the 318 i is the cheapest at 2.249 mill Bht

and

Mercedes sells the C 200 CGI Blue efficiency for 2,499 mill

However some parallel importers may be cheper, but than there is no warranty on the car

However some parallel importers may be cheper, but than there is no warranty on the car

True there's no BSI available on gray market imports, but the bigger importers (e.g. TSL) usually offer at least 2 years warranty, and have very good service centers.

Edited by MoonRiverOasis

Thanks for the inputs !

When I wrote the first post in Feb. I was leaning most towards the Merc. 250 cdi, but now it is the BMW that has my attension.

There is quite a few of the new BMW 2010 model 2nd hand at around 2,3-2,5 mill for the top model - that is app half a mill down from new price so the first big loss is taken.

Sounds terrible that the stereo turns itself up and down when the noise increases.

Both cars are very nice and the torque (500 nm) of the Benz sounds almost too good to be true.

Hi

So did you buy one? i am looking to trade my E60 for the 320D, they gave me a new (only done 900KM)for me to test for 3 days, i must say that its a very dam_n good car, 180HP and easy to get to 215 HP, if you want.

Thanks for the inputs !

Hi

So did you buy one? i am looking to trade my E60 for the 320D, they gave me a new (only done 900KM)for me to test for 3 days, i must say that its a very dam_n good car, 180HP and easy to get to 215 HP, if you want.

and stock its faster than 525i :D

Thanks for the inputs !

Hi

and stock its faster than 525i :D

sshhh, dont tell anybody