Punch And Judy Pub

timekeeper

again i ventured out from the darkside, having been encouraged by a party somewhere on the hill near siam country club golf

the usual gut banging 300 decibels echoed all over the valley, drove me to distraction and out the door

so i went to the Punch and Judy pub on Soi 17

i have been there a few times before after a recomendation on TV from Daveinthailand

i am surprised it does not get more of a mention on here

its a very nicely finished place, very clean and tidy, parking is easy, the food and service is excellent

they have stella, magners, boddingtons, fosters on draught

its a very professionally run place and in my opinion deserves more customers

I went once with a friend, I ordered a pint of draft heiny which tasted horrible and my friends bottle of beer was warm. I live very close by and we have other known good places to choose from so I will not give them a second chance. Personally I can not see why they chose this location, the Caddy Shack is right across the road and Tigglebittes a few hundred metres further round the corner both doing very well and its not exactly an area with loads of passing trade.

Edited by RabC

Seems like this place has recovered well after an initial teething period where people gave negaitive feedback about meals, now getting some good reviews. Very nice environment. My only gripes would be ; For the breakfast, they use the smelly 'het hom' mushrooms, which have no place whatsoever being on a breakfast plate. Also, sometimes they claim they have run out of back bacon, whish is why they give you a couple of sad looking pieces of waffa-thin streaky bacon. apart from these mega-important, life-changing points, its OK!

My firm favourite for food however is right across the road, at the Caddyshack, which really takes some beating.

Always good to have more choice though!

Seems like this place has recovered well after an initial teething period where people gave negaitive feedback about meals, now getting some good reviews. Very nice environment. My only gripes would be ; For the breakfast, they use the smelly 'het hom' mushrooms, which have no place whatsoever being on a breakfast plate. Also, sometimes they claim they have run out of back bacon, whish is why they give you a couple of sad looking pieces of waffa-thin streaky bacon. apart from these mega-important, life-changing points, its OK!

My firm favourite for food however is right across the road, at the Caddyshack, which really takes some beating.

Always good to have more choice though!

i went to Punch & Judy again last night

for me its just gets better and better

good service, good music and a friendly atmosphere

i had a huge shrimp cocktail and fish and chips, which although might have benefited from a few more chips and a splash more mushy peas, but was really very tasty

the wife had duck wraps and pork chops in apple sauce

again a favorite for her, which she has had on previous visits

2 pints of draught mangers to wash it all down and i was stuffed

bear in mind i have to drive 20-30 minutes from Mabrachan lake to get there and would very upset if it wasn't worth the drive

also bear in mind, i have absolutely no connection to this place, except that i like it........

We were passing there last Sunday lunchtime (I have mother visiting from the UK), and decided to give it a try based on the feedback here.

I would say hands down the best roast dinner I have ever had in Thailand (apart from my own, but they only happen about twice a year :D ). My mother (fresh from England) said it was as good or better than you would get in most pubs in the UK. Big thumbs up all round!

In detail for the food critics, I had the trio of meats (pork, beef and lamb). This was served with very nice roast potatoes, an awesome yorkshire pud, 2 pigs in blankets, a slice of homemade sausage meat stuffing, lots of fresh veg, and lashings of really tasty gravy (with an extra gravy boat each). Gravy can make or break a roast dinner, and this was truly excellent. Condiments included fresh apple sauce, fresh mint sauce, horseradish (don't know if fresh or not as I don't eat it) and mustard - these quality extras add so much to the meal I think.

Downside - mashed potato. Sorry but this has no place on a roast dinner (is this a Northern thing?), and just didn't taste good. Next time I will ask them to replace the mash with a few extra roasties, and would recommend you all to do the same, maybe they will get the hint eventually.

Good value also compared to the grotty carveries on offer at Jamesons, Flannigans, Shennanigans, Sportsmans etc, etc - I think about 280 baht (a bit more for lamb). Any savings however were blown on 3 pints of Magners, which I just cannot resist :whistling:

We went to P&J last week, i had the fish & chips, i asked for no mushy peas, I don't like them, fish very nice so were the home cut chips, but could have done with a few more chips.

As we liked it went there again yesterday for there Sunday lunch, i had the trio of meat roast dinner, pork, beef & lamb, arrived quite quickly, vegis very nice, lamb nice but pork & beef had been cooked to death, i personally like my beef a little pink, this was deffiantly overcooked, I suspect they cook the meat in the morning & heat it up when customers come in, not easy running a sunday roast allday to be fair?

My Thai GF had the fish & chips yesterday & she enjoyed that.

P&J very nice English style pub, very clean & good service.

I usally cook a Sunday roast for my Son & us on a Sunday, but i did not have him yesterday, still feel my home cooked Sunday roast takes some beating!!

The "Punch and Judy" and the "Caddy Shack" are actually in Thepprasit Soi 8....... this soi continues for a little further until the corner where you turn right to the Land Office. Then it becomes Soi 17 down to the traffic lights on Third Road. But, that's just a small point. The main point of this post is to congratulate both eateries/watering holes on their service, atmosphere and the quality and the value of their food. The staff in both places are terrific also.

For those who may be interested, the "Punch and Judy" will start a regular quiz night on 2nd March next week, starting at 8 p.m. Jamie, a partner, is enthusiastic about it and he has promised that the evening will be an evening of "interactive entertainment"............. I told you that the staff are terrific!!!!

Do they do the roast dinners only on a Sunday or are they also available Saturdays too?

To answer my own question NO.

So I had the big English breakfast which was good.

The missus had fish and chips which wasn't good.

Although it looked promising to start with, a large piece of fish actually turned out to be a couple of inches thick of oily batter and a thin fillet of fish that wasn't tasty at all, the few chips were not good either.

The place itself was very nice and we'll be back to try somethng else as it's handy to where we live, parking is a problem though, only space for 2 cars outside.

Ate again at Punch and Judy last night, not a fault with it once again.

I've lived on Suksabai Villa for 8 years now so i'm familiar with the competition and Punch & Judy is miles ahead.

:).

me to ate their last night-----------friday 25th----------chicken liver starter and the burger with proper chips------------the burger deal is 199 for the burger / bun / salad / chips and a pint of lager

friend had mushroom soup and the pork chop

not cheap but a decent place. parking not so good for a car though

I've lived on Suksabai Villa for 8 years now so i'm familiar with the competition and Punch & Judy is miles ahead.

me to ate their last night-----------friday 25th----------chicken liver starter and the burger with proper chips------------the burger deal is 199 for the burger / bun / salad / chips and a pint of lager

I went there today with a few friends for the sunday lunch and it was Ok but not fantastic. The mash potatoes were poor and the roast were average. Price on price I prefer the Caddyshack. But the drink prices for Magners and fosters are very good and the free pool. The only problem I had was all the children running around playing the idiot, they should be banned from pubs

Together with three friends, I went to the Quiz Night last night. Considering it was the first Quiz event, and only three teams were there, it was good fun. The presentation of the topics and the questions was quite different from the usual and the topics were sufficiently varied. The organiser learned a lot and the next event should be even more enjoyable. I ate there before the quiz started and I had no complaints about the quality or the quantity of the food. Ice-cold draft Heineken at 105 baht a pint was good value also.

• 2 weeks later...

I ate here for the first time yesterday with 3 friends and was pleasantly surprised, 3 of us has had the roast lunch (one lamb, one pork and one trio of meats) and the other had a Chicken and Mushroom pie.

The roast was very good, the meat and vegetables were tasty and cooked well, the pigs in a blanket and stuffing were excellent.

Has to go on my list as one of the best roasts currently available.

The pie was reported as being good as well.

Another plus point was the choice of beers, one of the best around at reasonable prices.

I agree that parking is not the best, but the walk is not far if parking in Suksabai or by the houses on the opposite side of the road.

When we were there, it was quiet, in fact at one point we were the only customers, this was late afternoon, no problems with noisy children, though maybe this was a one off!

Will definitely be back for a return visit, to try some of the other items on the menu.

Edited by Mattd

Went there for the second Sunday in a row, last week had the chicken, very good and filling, well priced, yesterday had the pork, beef & lamb trio, excellent value will keep going as long as they keep up the good food...also the service was good, polite and helpful!

they have changed thier opening time from 8 to 10 am now due to lack of interest

pity but good place ----------prices a bit steep----------in the wrong place at the wrong time

ie. 3rd year world recess with less tourists with less to spend and less baht for what they have brought

competiton from established and cheaper caddy shack over the road----------------------- if as a business plan it was properly thought over it would never have been born