Supermarket Food Shortages

WinnieTheKhwai

Firstly let me apologize because I have in the past made light of posts on this forum describing price increases or unavailability of crucial foods and supplies.

Finally I decided to investigate for myself and I must now admit that the situation is indeed alarming. Perhaps we can do a strategic survey of vital items and the quantities that remain.

The following is from a typical Tesco supermarket, and keep in mind that I only list the essentials:

post-64232-0-88038300-1297146127_thumb.j

Above we see a complete stock-out of duck flavour green Mama noodles. The common yellow minced pork Mama is still there but clearly this common stuff won't do for the discerning Farang consumer.

post-64232-0-42117100-1297146148_thumb.j

Next is Mini Mouse Kiddie Cake. Some Mickey Cakes for boys are there, but I don't want to even think about all the little Look Krung Girls havign the saddest birthday in their lives, without Mini Mouse Cake. Sure we like living in Chiang Mai, but at what cost of childhood traumas surfacing later?

post-64232-0-95024900-1297146036_thumb.j

This is the place where once several bags of mixed Pipo Jelly Cones sat, delighting kids and adults alike. They were excellent after being chilled and not just for kids, they were also a popular ingredient to adult bedroom romance. All of that: GONE.

post-64232-0-72567000-1297146027_thumb.j

Next up: Green Tea Milk Shake. Refreshing, sweet, gone.

My wife was still making fun of me by this time, but then we got here. "You're not laughing now huh!" I yelled. The complete supply of Phrik Khee Noo small Thai bird chilies: GONE!

post-64232-0-35490500-1297146139_thumb.j

Have you ever though of applying for the job of super snooper shopper?

Wandering supermarkets all day long taking pics of empty shelves.

Benefits are its air conditioned and eye candy abounds

Then you can report back to the forum so we will all know where to go for what we need.

Maybe even a better suggestion.....

Taking a page out of a present craze in the cyberworld..... Walmartians... or people of Walmart.

You could go around to all the Hyper stores and snap away then post.

Possible names of the wonderful service

" The Rumps of Rimping "

" Topless Tescoians "

" The Magnificient Mounds of the Makro Mammas "

" Carrefour Crotches "

I'm sure there are some sicker minded people then me that can come up with some more titles

Good luck, happy snapping and look forward to your first submission

Gonzo

Maybe even a better suggestion.....

Taking a page out of a present craze in the cyberworld..... Walmartians... or people of Walmart.

You could go around to all the Hyper stores and snap away then post.

Possible names of the wonderful service

" The Rumps of Rimping "

" Topless Tescoians "

" The Magnificient Mounds of the Makro Mammas "

" Carrefour Crotches "

I'm sure there are some sicker minded people then me that can come up with some more titles

Good luck, happy snapping and look forward to your first submission

Gonzo

I'm in the next ward at your hospital

Home pro Pros

Gecko Geeks

Carefour Critters

Makro Maidens

Rimpling Ragers

Tesco Temptresses

Tops @ Tops

What? there are no more Mickey Mouse Kiddie Cakes??? that's the last nail to it the coffin, i am going to write to my embassy about it, if they don't find a solution to this and quick, i am packing it.

Pipo Jelly Cones and the bedroom romance you are mentioning might be a possible answer to those strange walking styles sometimes i spots around, we should do a better investigation into it.

:lol:

What? there are no more Mickey Mouse Kiddie Cakes??? that's the last nail to it the coffin, i am going to write to my embassy about it, if they don't find a solution to this and quick, i am packing it.

Pipo Jelly Cones and the bedroom romance you are mentioning might be a possible answer to those strange walking styles sometimes i spots around, we should do a better investigation into it.

Mabe a new movie can come out//////

the Tennesee Sheriff Buford Pusser in " Walkin Wide "

...and starring Will Joe Don Maker.

...sorry off topic..... but comes from the lack of sugar, which is in short supply

Edited by Gonzo the Face

Mabe a new movie can come out//////

the Tennesee Sheriff Buford Pusser in " Walkin Wide "

...and starring Will Joe Don Maker.

...sorry off topic..... but comes from the lack of sugar, which is in short supply

Go and lay down and takes your meds

And you were wondering if there was life after retirement.

I would like to point out to you that you only went to one market. I believe there is at least eight major markets catering to Westerners.

what you have to do is check them all out on a daily base and make up the list of who has what. As has been pointed out here earlier some things are here today gone tomorrow.

There is the possibility that you will have to hire staff to keep up with it. In all fairness some of the smaller stores might have these valuable items and will need checking out

A daunting task but you are the man.:)

And you were wondering if there was life after retirement.

I would like to point out to you that you only went to one market. I believe there is at least eight major markets catering to Westerners.

what you have to do is check them all out on a daily base and make up the list of who has what. As has been pointed out here earlier some things are here today gone tomorrow.

There is the possibility that you will have to hire staff to keep up with it. In all fairness some of the smaller stores might have these valuable items and will need checking out

A daunting task but you are the man.:)

Well, several people could do it in this age of technology.

People could text each other on the state of play regarding Vegemite, Cookies, Kraft dinners etc.

One person could list all the incoming figures and post it here every night.

Winnie's onto something here.... though his shopping needs are cause for their own thread of investigation - though most likely he could pass off having kids for the odd items.

In the last month I made two different trips to Tesco Hang Dong to pick up some things, also knowing I was out of both brown and white refined sugar. Both of those times, those huge bins in the back were out. Tesco, no white sugar ?! How can that be ?

And then when there this last weekend, I needed to pick up a liter or whatever-size bottle of soybean oil - no palm oil for me, thanks - and I asked why the shelves were all empty, was there any in the back ? One of the stock guys produced the 'last one that somebody else put in the wrong place' for me. Out of oil ? Out of sugar ? Odd.

I also have noticed no bulk Chinese carrots there for a couple weeks. Maybe more a Farang staple than Thai, but something weird's going on. Or just a manager that is very poor at placing orders and tracking pars.

Very strange overall... could also be supply chain.

As for the cooking oil, in this particular Tesco Express branch they had these boxes behind the counter as if they were gold.. They sold them (1 bottle) only to people purchasing over X amount of Baht, and possibly only to those with a Tesco membership card.

If you're not already, it's probably a prudent step to gain memberships of the main supermarket chains.

I am not up there, 50km north of Bangkok non of the Supermarkets or Tesco Express have NOT had any oil pf any sort for the past month, or sugar, last week there was sugar but customer were allowed only 1 bag... No olive oil, No marge... Last week in Carrfour no chicken