Why Do They Ignore Me At 7-Eleven?

saynora

next!.........

<snip> probably you been giving the gals in 7-11

the glad eye , and they are not interested in you .

find another store ,,, too bore .

hope thi :jap: s helps

Edited by soundman
Removed flame.

I go to ones in town especially arround the Nana area they are sometimes very unsmiling, maybe because they have to deal with many farangs !!!

i dont think because "many" farang .. more because the majory-type of ppl hanging arround there

echo creates the same wave ...

Edited by nullx8

Who actually buys stuff at 7-11? I go there once a month to pay my electric bill and at the same time occasionally buy a phone card. 7-11 in LOS suxs as bad as the ones in the USA!

Most of the members here seem to buy stuff there.

Me, sometimes something to drink when passing by, a pack of sigs maybe, a lighter, gum, other smaller items.

:)

Why does 7-11 suck?

Who actually buys stuff at 7-11? I go there once a month to pay my electric bill and at the same time occasionally buy a phone card. 7-11 in LOS suxs as bad as the ones in the USA!

Me, sometimes something to drink when passing by, a pack of sigs maybe, a lighter, gum, other smaller items.

Why does 7-11 suck?

- Price gouging - but not as bad as the 7-11s in the USA - especially for those items not deemed to be a quick turn-around

- Most unfriendly service - Just like the USA, they can't even provide a welcome or a thank-you (At least in Thailand it's understood they perhaps don't speak English, what's the reason in the USA for not speaking English?) And the welcome or Thank You could be in Thai (as I speak some Thai) but they won't even do that

- Five behind the counter but only one is providing any kind of service to the hoards in line

- Been waiting in line many times (single register open but usually a second one there, only closed - with the counter top sign visible 'closed') and yet a Thai will go to the closed register and will get served... But if I jump over there behind that person being served they will usually ignore me and then I stand waiting at a closed register. (Has occurred too many times so I have stopped doing this.)

- Just like the USA, but happens everywhere in Thailand, they don't have the decency to count your change back to you. I have been shorted more than once and when I show them and bring it up they tend say I am wrong and I have to literally fight them to get the correct change.

Yeah, I occasionally buy a soda, ice, or cigs as well but try my damnest to avoid it when I can.....

Why does 7-11 suck?

- Price gouging - but not as bad as the 7-11s in the USA - especially for those items not deemed to be a quick turn-around

- Most unfriendly service - Just like the USA, they can't even provide a welcome or a thank-you (At least in Thailand it's understood they perhaps don't speak English, what's the reason in the USA for not speaking English?) And the welcome or Thank You could be in Thai (as I speak some Thai) but they won't even do that

- Five behind the counter but only one is providing any kind of service to the hoards in line

- Been waiting in line many times (single register open but usually a second one there, only closed - with the counter top sign visible 'closed') and yet a Thai will go to the closed register and will get served... But if I jump over there behind that person being served they will usually ignore me and then I stand waiting at a closed register. (Has occurred too many times so I have stopped doing this.)

- Just like the USA, but happens everywhere in Thailand, they don't have the decency to count your change back to you. I have been shorted more than once and when I show them and bring it up they tend say I am wrong and I have to literally fight them to get the correct change.

Yeah, I occasionally buy a soda, ice, or cigs as well but try my damnest to avoid it when I can.....

I agree, the service level here can be everything from non-existing to the absolute best.

Still, seems like I have been fairly lucky (most of the times)with my visits to those stores.

I go very regularly to the local 7/11 (Phahonyothin 9) so the staff recognise me and know what I usually buy (including one of them who always asks "Beer Leo?", on cue, every time I walk in).

The manager there is quite a character - funny guy, and always trying to help me practice my Thai (when you're hungover/tired in the morning this isn't so fun sometimes though hah) - last week he wouldn't let me buy anything until I repeated the items back to him in Thai!

Maybe I'm just lucky with the local 7.

Maybe it's something about you personally. Have you stopped practicing good personal hygiene since you've been in Thailand? Do you look at them and smile and greet them when you enter the store?

I've been going to my same 7-11 for nearly 5 years. The manager special orders things for me. If I dont' see somthing on the shelve I ask one of the clerks. Always a smile and a swadee krap and then in English "hello teacher or good morning teacher" I always get a "thank you" in English.

I guess an added note is I always interact with them. Whenever they make an attempt to speak English, even if it isn't very good. I tell them they speak very good and it gives them confidence and the next time I go in they try even more English. I find at 7-11 as with most Thais. They treat me as I treat them. If I walk into the 7 and glare at them and dont' speak anything. How can I expect them to speak to me?

I do the same at my 7-11 and get the same results. They know what I want when I walk in the door. Very nice people working there. Have never walked in there with out getting a smile and a swadee krap.

Great 7/11 around the corner - but they're always flat out with customers, so we swap smiles and leave it at that.

I find most of the staff at all the outlets I buy from to be helpful and they ALWAYS remember my particular preferences...very nice when they don't see me for 9 mths at a time.

For the OP, you wouldn't happen to be talking about the 7-11 just near the corner of Sukhumvit 54, would you?

Most 7-11s seem pretty nice but you always get an odd crew once in awhile. I've had a bit of oddness with the one above, but the worst I've ever seen was near the Khok Wua intersection (off Khao San Rd and Tanao).

then, as soon as they get use to it, the real part of them comes out....

Which is generally why people love Thailand & Thai's for a Holiday, & grow incredibly bitter & twisted about it & them, when they live here..

SOME people get bitter & twisted. Well adjusted human beings usually realize that Thais are just being polite to visitors and do not expect them to keep kissing their butts forever. :D

• 3 weeks later...