Aussie To Marry Thai Woman

I've had 2 different Aussie guys ask me the same question this week ..

"How do I get married to a Thai woman who lives in (Surin)*, and the cheapest way to do it?"

*(or in Bangkok )

Both guys want to qualify for the retirement visa by having the minimum 400K baht in the bank.

So they've decided to get married - obviously at a goverment office.

I was reluctant to give them my advice since things may have changed since I got married 6 years ago.

I tried using the search function on TV but most answers were way off topic.

So these guys need a simple "what to do list" covering the formailities of paperwork and addresses etc.

for themselves and their Thai partners.

Thanks in advance

Thanks garyh

Thanks for the link but there was very little detail on that Embassy page.

There were no links to the Thai language pages that you referred to.

We need to know exactly what documents the Thai partner needs to bring with her.

I remember when I got married we thought we had everything in order but at the last minute we were told that

one vital cerificate was missing and my wife had to travel up country to her local amphur to get it. (a 500Km round trip)

It was a lot of stress that could have been avoided if we'd been given the correct info from the beginning.

Other advice on a good translation agency near the goverment offices would be handy too.

Maybe somebody on TV has had some recent experience and advice?

Thanks garyh

Thanks for the link but there was very little detail on that Embassy page.

There were no links to the Thai language pages that you referred to.

We need to know exactly what documents the Thai partner needs to bring with her.

I remember when I got married we thought we had everything in order but at the last minute we were told that

one vital cerificate was missing and my wife had to travel up country to her local amphur to get it. (a 500Km round trip)

It was a lot of stress that could have been avoided if we'd been given the correct info from the beginning.

Other advice on a good translation agency near the goverment offices would be handy too.

Maybe somebody on TV has had some recent experience and advice?

The Thai is in the level above on the web site here all the things the foreigner has to do are listed there the rest is standard Thai marriage registration procedure at the relevant Amphur office (house book, id card and birth certificate is probably what is required but get the woman to call the Amphur office). I followed the steps and it worked for me, it's not that hard just a pain having to go to Bangkok to do it.

This is the home page for the Embassy, have a look around it and keep it, may be handy one day.

Edited by garyh

"Both guys want to qualify for the retirement visa by having the minimum 400K baht in the bank. So they've decided to get married - obviously at a goverment office."

Just want to make sure these guys understand - you don't need to get married to qualify for an extension based on retirement. However, you do need 800K in the bank rather than 400K. If they are looking to get married so that they only need half as much capital in the bank, then technically they will be applying for an extension based on marriage, not on retirement.

Which is an entirely different process with different rules - the first being that the marriage is not for the purpose of remaining in Thailand and this has to be proven during a 30 day wait each year prior to approval. Not that it is a difficult process but getting married for such a purpose would not be the best plan for most people. Remember Thailand is a joint property state and even if your friends have little the marriage could take half or more in the longer run.

Attached the info I got from Aussie embassy after emailing them ..also another Aussies experience I found on another site....very helpful.

The translation service I used was down a soi on the right of the embassy (if your facing it) on the right it's a travel agency very good people! I had them do the Thai gov bit too and they EMS'd the docs to me in two days at home...great service. ( MPT Travel and Trip Co 170/12-13 Soi SuanPlu South Sathorn Road tel:026793800, 081 2590423)

hope this helps...can PM me..One thing if you have a divorce cert from a country other than Aus then go to THAT embassy to get it notarized first!

One note at the Amphur ..ours wanted another confirming letter from Aussie embassy to confirm the stat dec etc ..go figure..took a few days but the Aussie embassy lass was aware of this requirement by some pedantic local Amphurs...the BIG Amphur boss certainly grilled me via the wife to be ...lol!

stat dec info.doc

Stat Declaration Aus.doc

Marriage Information Sheet June 2010a.docx

Australian embassy marriage info.doc

Edited by David006

Which is an entirely different process with different rules - the first being that the marriage is not for the purpose of remaining in Thailand and this has to be proven during a 30 day wait each year prior to approval. Not that it is a difficult process but getting married for such a purpose would not be the best plan for most people. Remember Thailand is a joint property state and even if your friends have little the marriage could take half or more in the longer run.

Apart from all the 'caveat emptor" comments may I suggest that TV has a topic title or whatever re "Marriage info Thailand"....could be helpful...

... just a thought from a happier chappie in Thailand...