Recent Clashes With Thailand Real War: Cambodia PM Hun Sen

webfact

Abhisit argued that Cambodian troops used the Hindu temple as a shield. "Thailand is gravely concerned about the use of Phra Viharn (Thai accent for Preah Vihear) by Cambodia for military purpose, which is in violation of international law, in particular the article 4 (1) of the 1954 Hague Convention for the Protection of Cultural Property in the Event of Arm Conflict," he said in the letter to UN yesterday.

r2275419126.jpg

r474873353.jpg

capt9c9a257faa2f458abad.jpg

Associated Press Sighted Armed Cambodian Forces Camping in Preah Vihear Temple

According to a report by an international news agency, hundreds of Cambodian soldiers have fortified Preah Vihear Temple and its surrounding area.

The Associated Press has reported that hundreds of Cambodian soldiers in camouflage uniforms have fortified Preah Vihear Temple and the surrounding disputed area with sandbag bunkers.

A number of artillery shells, rocket launchers, and mortars were also sighted in the area. The reporters said the weapons were aimed at Thailand.

One of the Cambodian soldiers said he was transported to the area from his regular post and will return once the fighting has ended.

The report also indicates that there is only minor damage from the fighting, such as bullet marks on the temple's walls, contrary to Cambodia's claim that the temple was severely damage in the clashes, which prompted Phnom Penh's request for a UNESCO inspection.

The Thai government has submitted a protest to UNESCO, claiming that Cambodian forces have been camping in the World Heritage site to carry out attacks against Thailand.

"A number of artillery shells, rocket launchers, and mortars were also sighted in the area."

Can add a machine gun nest to the above list:

capta4a00de49b5c409dacd.jpg

A machine gun of Cambodian army soldier is placed around the Buddhist pagoda, Wat Keo Sikha kirisvara, near Cambodia's 11th century Hindu Preah Vihear temple in Preah Vihear province, about 245 kilometers (152 miles) north of Phnom Penh, Cambodia, Thursday, Feb. 10, 2011. Hundreds of Cambodian soldiers were camped Wednesday at the cliff-top Khmer temple in the line of fire from deadly border skirmishes with Thailand.

AP

http://news.yahoo.com/nphotos/slideshow/photo//110210/481/urn_publicid_ap_org_a4a00de49b5c409dacd8f2abff1d3bef/

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

MADNESS , pure and simple MADNESS .

Actually, it's not madness. It's idiocy and terror and all sorts of other bad stuff, but there's twisted method to all this on both sides.

Hun Sen is a thug and a villain and his entire country knows that. So he has a lot to gain politically by poking Thailand in the eye. He doesn't care if some of his human weapons are destroyed. He has more where they came from.

Abhisit is probably not such a bad little guy, but he's an army stooge and he's doomed. The army has to show that it has capabilities beyond shooting teenagers with slingshots on the streets of Bangkok. This is a great opportunity to "defend the motherland" bla bla and liquidate some military inventory. Armies are always happy to spend education money on more bombs and bullets.

And the yellow sheep with wolves tongues bleat and bleat on Rachadmneon, far from the artillery. And the red sheep with dog mouths wait for their venal savior to return.

And the rest of us keep our heads down and wonder where this all might lead.

B)Hun Sen dosent know real war even if it hit him in the head.

Not strictly true. Hun Sen was blinded in one eye as the Khmer Rouge (to which he belonged) were taking Phnom Penh.

In other words he was literally hit in the head by a real war.

Perhaps before making your next comment you could pick up a book on regional history.

Nice rejoinder!

B)Hun Sen dosent know real war even if it hit him in the head.

Not strictly true. Hun Sen was blinded in one eye as the Khmer Rouge (to which he belonged) were taking Phnom Penh.

In other words he was literally hit in the head by a real war.

Perhaps before making your next comment you could pick up a book on regional history.

First I would like to say that though I am a new member to this forum I have been reading and following for many years, until recently I have chosen to remain silent.

With that said: in regards to 95% of what I have been reading in this post this remark has without a doubt been the most accurate.When I listen or read I look for accuracy and factual information. I agree 100%; if you're going to make a statement you should make every effort to research and confirm what you put forth. I laugh so many times how someone can post in-correct information and so many will follow blindly. "Bottom line", research, study and maybe even spend more than a "holiday" in the area/country you speak about.

Please understand I neither support Thailand or Cambodia or Hun Sen 100% in this matter, all share a large blame in this affair/event.

Hun Sen; member of the Khmer Rouge: yes correct, in the early years before the KR began turning on their own people and following the occupation of Phnom Pehn. Such as current Afghan President is a former member and representative of the Taliban.

Cambodia not having experience in a "real" war; 100% false, as a study of Cambodian history will inform you.

Thailand not having experience in a "real" war since WW2; 100% false, again a study of Thailand's history may surprise you. i.e. WW2, Korean War (attached to US Army; highly decorated in battle and a participate at "Chosen Resivor", Vietnam (Black OPS) and lastly OIF (even if only a 500 man contingent in a "support/rehab" mission).

Many of us hear I honestly believe have participated in or experienced "war/armed conflict" and fully understand what it entails. I believe only a fool would advocate war when their is other "means" to settle an issue. But in my PERSONAL opinion I do believe both Thailand and Cambodia have "pushed" away most of these other "means" for whatever the reason and unfortunately many of us wil feel the effects.

I apologize for may ranting and raving, but sometimes being silent escapes me. If I offend anyone with my statements; sorry, just put a "dash" of salt on it. :jap:

Seems like the Cambodians want a war, and furthermore they think the international community will side with them. Also seems like the Thais are not interested in war, but don't want to loose face when provoked? More a case of 'cry wolf' for Hun Sen?

Can anyone other than me smell Mr T.....?

His foul smell is all over it. It just also happens to coincide with Mr Amsterdams filing of cases in the International Court.

He must be laughing his heart out now that his "Beloved" country is in a bind.

The cambodians have been shelling the poor Isan Folk, the workers on the road building site and missing the Thai Army by a mile.

They have been firing their guns from the confines of the Prear Vihear Temple compound. Guess what when the Thais returned Fire ???

The same Khmer Rouge is just the rehabilitated version of the present-day Cambodian Govt with Big Backers in the likes of the French and guess what the Russians who are still very pissed-off with the Bout Fiasco (who again was employed by no other than Mr.T in his new business as Financier to the Lords of War).

What better way to hit two birds with one cannon blast.....

Seems some people still have blinkers on here repeated news relases state Thailand doesnt want UN intervention, repeatedly Cambodians are open for intervention yet some posters here continue to leave the blinkers on that Thailand can do nothing wrong ?

If you think Cambodia's request to the UN is anything more than PR then you are wearing blinkers...

America not stupid-- to intervene this issue on Thai side. This is smoke screen war to take Thai mind off civil rights and social problems and democracy issues. That is plain and simple, I think.

Lek

Bkk

Khun Lek, although your English is very Thai, you made your point clear and well! This happens many times in countries which are facing internal problems (and Abhisit has its deal in these): the Government looks for a common enemy and start problems: all country fellows reunite in this war against the "common enemy" and the real [internal] problems are forgotten. Up to the Thais to be smarter and to think rational. There is nothig they can do about the 1962 verdict: Preah Vihear is Cambodian soil and it is of no major importance whether the laon, the pergola, the garden, the frontyard or the backyard is included or not... B)

as a tourist i have visited this site 2 times in recent years and stayed in a village only 5km away from the site,it is on Cambodian soil but the only way to get to the site is through a Thai national park then across the boarder to the site a fee is charged at the park then at the boarder no stamp required or visa was required as basically there is nowhere for you to go unless you would like to skydive from the top of the temple down some 100mt or more to travel into Cambodia.

Cambodian soldiers must be like sitting ducks with no where to run but saying that they have got the higher ground so would see the Thai army from afar .

i just hope this can be settled without too much damage to a amazing historical site

- - - "Thailand created this war and (Thai Prime Minister) Abhisit must be responsible for the war and should be brought before international courts of war crimes," Hun Sen said." - - -

Correct me if I am wrong:

To begin a war is not a crime.

It is rather a traditional approach of extended political activities.

A war crime followingly is not to stick to the 'rules'

So, the PM is not yet outside of the usual frame; sowhat outdated in his methods maybe, but how can we know that: we are more than 500 years behind...

If this is a real war, there may exist a conflict with the Hague convention, Part III (on the opening of Hostilities)

Or shall we quote Axl Rose?: "What's so civil about war?"

Seems like the Cambodians want a war, and furthermore they think the international community will side with them. Also seems like the Thais are not interested in war, but don't want to loose face when provoked? More a case of 'cry wolf' for Hun Sen?

Can anyone other than me smell Mr T.....?

His foul smell is all over it. It just also happens to coincide with Mr Amsterdams filing of cases in the International Court.

He must be laughing his heart out now that his "Beloved" country is in a bind.

The cambodians have been shelling the poor Isan Folk, the workers on the road building site and missing the Thai Army by a mile.

They have been firing their guns from the confines of the Prear Vihear Temple compound. Guess what when the Thais returned Fire ???

The same Khmer Rouge is just the rehabilitated version of the present-day Cambodian Govt with Big Backers in the likes of the French and guess what the Russians who are still very pissed-off with the Bout Fiasco (who again was employed by no other than Mr.T in his new business as Financier to the Lords of War).

What better way to hit two birds with one cannon blast.....

Unless you have actual proof of that, making a blatant statement of that type could land you in a world of trouble in regards to slander, defamation of character and liable.

Just a word of advice.