Retired But Still Functioning But Where And How In Bangkok

dplast

OK, I can drink but sometimes have trouble walking but that is another story. So 3 months into my - can I live in Thailand experiment and thinking Bangkok is the grooviest but what do I do with the days, Oh ya, Thai ladies, Sang Son with coke and now water but still I'm missing something. In the states I liked boats and the water, looked outside Bangkok and unless your the rich yachy type, no go. Meet friends for morning coffee in California, none here.So you long stay guys, retired or not give me some incite or is this an ongoing issue.

Move to Samui buy a dinghy and take a bottle of Jack Daniels a fishing rod and an ipod with you......heaven! :)

That brought back a great memory for me. My last fishing trip with my Dad. A bottle of Jim Beam, a thermos of coffee, and plenty of fish. Heaven for sure.

Yes, it is an issue. You will want to have a few hobbies. One of mine is exploring via walking around. Another is taking monthly trips via bus (just for the fun of it) to venture out and change the pace. Some of the best seafood you will get at a very inexpensive price is just an hour away in Bang Poo.

If you’re without any hobbies and wish to interact with expats you’re basically confined to getting drunk early afternoon, get a nap late afternoon/ early evening and go out again for a 2nd round at night.

I would advise against the late afternoon nap though because you might find yourself waking up in not too good a mood without any feel for going out anymore.

Best would be to skip the whole napping thing, have some pub grub early evening and just continue from there.

Not forget to include at least 1 or maybe 2 nights a week without booze to give your liver a rest.

This all might sound crazy but you would be surprised at the number of retirees who live in this way and spent most of their time and money in the various expat pubs around town.

You can:

1) Get married again, that will keep you busy.

2) Volunteer spreading your knowledge and or time with people / animals in need.

3) Take a class, learn to speak Thai, study photography, learn Thai Cooking.

4) Try to get the highest number of post on Thai Visa.

You can:

1) Get married again, that will keep you busy.

2) Volunteer spreading your knowledge and or time with people / animals in need.

3) Take a class, learn to speak Thai, study photography, learn Thai Cooking.

4) Try to get the highest number of post on Thai Visa.

Taking a Thai class would be a great idea. You will meet a lot of other farangs staying long term (student visa). Go visit Whalen School (they advertise on Thai Visa w/banner usually at the top of main page). They will let you sit in on a class before confirming you want to attend. They have classes am, afternoon, pm and weekends to choose from.

Edited by Nisa

Morning coffee with a fellow Californian - I'm up for it. PM me with your location details. biggrin.gif

Same here my friends. I spend half my year here and half in Lake Tahoe and would love to get together with some fellow CAs! Gone for a few weeks but back early March.

I could not last here more than 4 months when I was doing nothing, now I teach to keep busy even though I don't need the money. Boredom and depression are closely related, and waking up every morning with nothing to do and no place special to go gets old here or in California.