Patong To Host Jet-ski Competition

george

Patong to host jet-ski competition

PHUKET: -- The island’s first jet-ski racing competition will be held in Patong Bay on December 10 and 11, Vice-Governor Niran Kalayanamit announced today.

After returning from a meeting with Deputy Prime Minister Suwat Liptapanlop last Thursday, V/Gov Niran said that with a prize purse of US$10,000 (approximately 410,000 baht), the tourney for the HM King Bhumibol Adulyadej Trophy is expected to attract some 500 competitors from 40 countries.

The event is expected to cost about 22.6 million baht to stage, and the Thai Jet Sports Boating Association, one of the organizers, has confirmed that Thai star racers Chaowalit Kuajaroon, Pro Sport 800 Superstock 2004 world champion, and the Thailand Pro AM Runabout 0-1200 Open champion 2005, and Choke-Uthit Molee, Pro Runabout 800 Superstock 2004 world champion, will take part.

Despite the go-ahead b eing given for the event, V/Gov Niran said that the provincial government’s policy to rid the island of all jet-skis by March 1, 2011 would remain in force.

“However, the organizers have explained that this sporting event will be run using international-standard [jet-ski racing] safety rules. Riders must wear helmets and protective gear, and jet-skis do not have propellers,” he said.

“There will be no problems staging the event in Patong. The course will be [inside an area] only 250 meters [long] by 200m [wide]. This will help to promote Phuket province around the world,” V/Gov Niran said.

To see picture/s related to this story, please go to http://www.phuketgazette.net/news/index.as...=4507&display=1

--Phuket Gazette 2005-09-07

Patong to host jet-ski competition

PHUKET: -- The island’s first jet-ski racing competition will be held in Patong Bay on December 10 and 11, Vice-Governor Niran Kalayanamit announced today.

After returning from a meeting with Deputy Prime Minister Suwat Liptapanlop last Thursday, V/Gov Niran said that with a prize purse of US$10,000 (approximately 410,000 baht), the tourney for the HM King Bhumibol Adulyadej Trophy is expected to attract some 500 competitors from 40 countries.

The event is expected to cost about 22.6 million baht to stage, and the Thai Jet Sports Boating Association, one of the organizers, has confirmed that Thai star racers Chaowalit Kuajaroon, Pro Sport 800 Superstock 2004 world champion, and the Thailand Pro AM Runabout 0-1200 Open champion 2005, and Choke-Uthit Molee, Pro Runabout 800 Superstock 2004 world champion, will take part.

Despite the go-ahead b eing given for the event, V/Gov Niran said that the provincial government’s policy to rid the island of all jet-skis by March 1, 2011 would remain in force.

“However, the organizers have explained that this sporting event will be run using international-standard [jet-ski racing] safety rules. Riders must wear helmets and protective gear, and jet-skis do not have propellers,” he said.

“There will be no problems staging the event in Patong. The course will be [inside an area] only 250 meters [long] by 200m [wide]. This will help to promote Phuket province around the world,” V/Gov Niran said.

To see picture/s related to this story, please go to http://www.phuketgazette.net/news/index.as...=4507&display=1

--Phuket Gazette 2005-09-07

A clear case of double standards here, banning Jetskis and allowing jetski races.

Brilliant!

Pat

• 2 weeks later...

F%*# jetskis, they spoil a nice day on the beach, should be banned everywhere, do tourists here want their 2 week beach holiday ruined by that poxy noise, may as well have motorbike races on the beach because of that annoying noise, and if anyone feels differently drop me a line. I am pretty sure the majority is with me.

F%*#  jetskis, they spoil a nice day on the beach, should be banned everywhere, do tourists here want their 2 week beach holiday ruined by that poxy noise, may as well have motorbike races on the beach because of that annoying noise, and if anyone feels differently drop me a line. I am pretty sure the majority is with me.

Bl00dy right! If anywhere in Phuket is going to host a jet-ski competition, let it be Patong. It can't get much worse. Som nam na Patong!

F%*#  jetskis, they spoil a nice day on the beach, should be banned everywhere, do tourists here want their 2 week beach holiday ruined by that poxy noise, may as well have motorbike races on the beach because of that annoying noise, and if anyone feels differently drop me a line. I am pretty sure the majority is with me.

Bl00dy right! If anywhere in Phuket is going to host a jet-ski competition, let it be Patong. It can't get much worse. Som nam na Patong!

:o

But seriously folks... who wants to watch silly water-bikes whizzing around the beach? The roads are much more fun. I think the TAT would be better off spending money on promoting Patong as Asia's "Sturgess"... thousands of cashed-up Harley Riders descending on Phuket for the annual Bike Week. Same noise ... much better tourism dollar return and more excitement!!! :D

Jet Ski(s) are fun. Not really a problem if sensible lads go far out.

Please indicate the nearest "sensible lad" in Patong.

:o Hmmmmm can't answer that question. I would say Patters, but :D

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=44955

:D The more jet-skiers who collide with each other, the better. Those who collide with swimmers should be shot. Am I being too harsh here? :D

But what I really don't like is the noise disturbance and the stink of the engines. If they made them quiet and odourless I would have no objections - provided they stayed in their own designated area, of course. But the problem is, just one noisy smelly jet-ski can spoil the enjoyment of a beach for hundreds of holiday makers. Why should one person be allowed to do that?