• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Could it have been this guy?

LMOA great find..Ive been there

:burp::cheesy:

Aaaaaaah', that brings back memories. :D

Nothing cute about that sicko. Those other guys should hog tie him to a tree until he expels the alcoholic toxisa from his body. I'd be curious to know whether he's got a car outside which he's driving. Then, when he smashes the skull of your daughter against the curb, will you still be giggling?

The beer and liquor industry can easily explain it away (youthful skylaring, etc). Our esteemed legislators can keep coddling the booze industry, while (with funding by the liquor industry) continuing to criminalize all other recreational drugs - and keeping their own favorite drug (and the most harmful drug worldwide), from any legal restrictions.

Oooops Sunday tomorrow, what times your service ? Give my regards to the vicar. :lol:

How sad - anyone who thinks this is funny has no understanding of the nature of alcoholism. This could easily be one of your family or even yourself.

That is where you are wrong. Alcoholism is entirely self inflicted, although I will say that some people are affected more by it than others. I have two good friends who are alcoholics and I feel sad for them, but at least they don't drink and drive. I've burried far too many of my friends who had cigarette inflicted cancer. But again, nobody forced them to take cigarettes. I had a son in law who destroyed his life, and my marriage with his mother, by taking drugs and steroids. All I fee is sadness. But, that doesn't take away from the fact that people have to take responsibility for their own actions. And, drunken people do, do stupid things... some of which are very funny.

Who knows what causes some people to turn to alcohol for their soul source of entertainment. All I know is it would never happen to me nor anyone in my family. I might kill myself taking other risks, like climbing mountains, challenging wild beasts, or riding a motorcycle in Thai traffic, but I'll never do something stupid while under the influence of any drug... of which alcohol is one of the worst. And, no, it could never happen to anyone in my family. They are too sensible because we raised them that way.

There are so many strange things that happen throughout the world that I just shake my head in awe. They don't affect me one way or another. That is THEIR choice in life.

If I am wrong then so are the "American Psychiatric Association" and the "American Medical Association" who officially recognized Alcoholism as a disease in 1991.

Maybe you know more about medical matters than I but more than these experts?

simply - you are talking through your ass.

"Ah Lardy, ocifer! Da lil green man wen rat down dis hole."

Drunk_1.sized.jpg

How sad - anyone who thinks this is funny has no understanding of the nature of alcoholism. This could easily be one of your family or even yourself.

Ba*ls, no it couldnt be anyone in my family or myself, you presume a hell of a lot.:annoyed:

If I am wrong then so are the "American Psychiatric Association" and the "American Medical Association" who officially recognized Alcoholism as a disease in 1991.

You are the one talking through your ass.

It is self inflicted. Just like calling obesity a disease.. it is not people do it to themselves. They only have to stop doing it. Nobody is putting a gun to their head.

Its like using being drunk as an excuse to do stupid things. It is not.. you put it in your body face the consequences.

That is where you are wrong. Alcoholism is entirely self inflicted, although I will say that some people are affected more by it than others. I have two good friends who are alcoholics and I feel sad for them, but at least they don't drink and drive. I've burried far too many of my friends who had cigarette inflicted cancer. But again, nobody forced them to take cigarettes. I had a son in law who destroyed his life, and my marriage with his mother, by taking drugs and steroids. All I fee is sadness. But, that doesn't take away from the fact that people have to take responsibility for their own actions. And, drunken people do, do stupid things... some of which are very funny.

Who knows what causes some people to turn to alcohol for their soul source of entertainment. All I know is it would never happen to me nor anyone in my family. I might kill myself taking other risks, like climbing mountains, challenging wild beasts, or riding a motorcycle in Thai traffic, but I'll never do something stupid while under the influence of any drug... of which alcohol is one of the worst. And, no, it could never happen to anyone in my family. They are too sensible because we raised them that way.

There are so many strange things that happen throughout the world that I just shake my head in awe. They don't affect me one way or another. That is THEIR choice in life.

Load of ole crap Id say, its self inflicted alright, yeah they're all wrong in the American Medical association..........hope that clears it up for you.

Many physicians reject the disease theory of alcoholism. One study found that only 20 percent of physicians believe that substance addiction is a disease. In addition, 55 percent believe that there is "no effective treatment" for it.(T. McLellan. R-Considering Addiction Treatment: How Can Treatment Be More Accountable And Effective? A Continuing Medical Education (CME)Course. Cranston, Rhode Island, Association for Medical Education and Research on Substance Abuse, 2006.)

Another study found that only 25 percent of physicians believed that alcoholism is a disease. The majority believed alcoholism to be a social or psychological problem instead of a disease. (S.I. Mignon. Physicians' Perceptions of Alcoholics: The Disease Concept Reconsidered. Alcoholism Trreatment Quarterly, 1996, v. 14, no. 4, pp. 33-45)

A survey of physicians at an annual conference of the International Doctors in Alocholics Anonymous reported that 80 percent believe that alcoholism is merely bad behavior instead of a disease. (Barrier to Treatment. Alcoholmd - Information About Alcohol and Medicine)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disease_theory_of_alcoholism

Many physicians reject the disease theory of alcoholism. One study found that only 20 percent of physicians believe that substance addiction is a disease. In addition, 55 percent believe that there is "no effective treatment" for it.(T. McLellan. R-Considering Addiction Treatment: How Can Treatment Be More Accountable And Effective? A Continuing Medical Education (CME)Course. Cranston, Rhode Island, Association for Medical Education and Research on Substance Abuse, 2006.)

Another study found that only 25 percent of physicians believed that alcoholism is a disease. The majority believed alcoholism to be a social or psychological problem instead of a disease. (S.I. Mignon. Physicians' Perceptions of Alcoholics: The Disease Concept Reconsidered. Alcoholism Trreatment Quarterly, 1996, v. 14, no. 4, pp. 33-45)

A survey of physicians at an annual conference of the International Doctors in Alocholics Anonymous reported that 80 percent believe that alcoholism is merely bad behavior instead of a disease. (Barrier to Treatment. Alcoholmd - Information About Alcohol and Medicine)

:lol: you posted 2% of that page. What does the other 98% say :lol:

BTW did you know most body-builders are addicts too?

http://www.bodybuildingtipsguide.com/Body-Building-Exercises/Exercise-Addiction.htm

your avatar is missing a "diddley"

Edited by saraburioz

Sure it's a disease... a self inflicted disease. Alcoholics KNOW they are alcoholics. They have a CHOICE. They can refuse to take the first drink or they can take it knowing the consequences. I DID say that some people are more affected by alcohol than others. That doesn't excuse the person from taking the first drink. I don't walk into a bar knowing it's a hangout for drunkards, thieves, and drug addicts and then wonder why I get into trouble some night. I don't stick my hand in a bag full of venomous snakes and wonder why I got bitten. It's the same thing.

Sure it's a disease... a self inflicted disease. Alcoholics KNOW they are alcoholics. They have a CHOICE. They can refuse to take the first drink or they can take it knowing the consequences. I DID say that some people are more affected by alcohol than others. That doesn't excuse the person from taking the first drink. I don't walk into a bar knowing it's a hangout for drunkards, thieves, and drug addicts and then wonder why I get into trouble some night. I don't stick my hand in a bag full of venomous snakes and wonder why I got bitten. It's the same thing.

I agree with you Ian. This is where common sense sometimes takes a backseat to political rhetoric, or classifying an addiction as a "disease" to allow for insurance coverage. Lung cancer is a disease. One can develop lung cancer from smoking, but smoking (or addiction to smoking) in itself shouldn't be classified as a disease, any more than alcoholism. Telling an alcoholic that it's not his fault, that he can't control his drinking because it's a disease, is basically removing all self-responsibility. Why society chooses to do that is beyond me.

The definition of being an alcoholic is the LOSS of CHOICE. An alcoholic is a sick person not a bad person.

I too can't see why so many are jumping all over the OP on this one, nobody likes to be offended and there are some things that most of us still find offensive. We all come to Thailand for various reasons, some like the differences between the societies we came from and this one, some like the culture, others like the wild night life. I don't pre-judge why people come here, as for myself, I am here to stay, love the place, warts and all.

I too though find public displays like this very offensive, every hotel on Sukumvit will have a bathroom available, any pub will let you in and after releaving yourself sit down buy another pint from the bar-keep to thank him for the use of his toilet and move on. Just because the city is dirty in many places and the local poor have no where to go at times does not mean we need to contribute to the problem, TheLaughingMan, I can relate to your feelings of discomfort and distain for this behavoir.

C

:lol: you posted 2% of that page. What does the other 98% say :lol:

BTW did you know most body-builders are addicts too?

http://www.bodybuildingtipsguide.com/Body-Building-Exercises/Exercise-Addiction.htm

your avatar is missing a "diddley"

Sure there are enough bodybuilder addicts wish i was bit more addicted to training these days. Seem to be in a low period. The thing is its my choice not to lift the weights cant blame anyone else. Same as its their choice to drink.

Yes i posted a small partition of the site because it supported my side of the story. The site was filled with information by people believing it was an disease and getting money because its classified as a disease. If you don't see why people want it to be a disease (easier to get money from health insurance then).

But it kinda says it all if the health professionals themselves don't see it as a disease in the traditional way. Then you can write loads and loads of things on the site but if they cant convince the majority of doctors it kinda says it all.

The definition of being an alcoholic is the LOSS of CHOICE. An alcoholic is a sick person not a bad person.

He is a weak person, and excusing his behavior is ridiculous. If he kills someone while driving drunk i believe he should be punished extra because he knew he could not handle alcohol and he still took it.

He is a weak person, and excusing his behavior is ridiculous. If he kills someone while driving drunk i believe he should be punished extra because he knew he could not handle alcohol and he still took it.

True enough, Rob. But the world is filled with weak, stuborn people who won't follow good advice. Thailand has more than its share of them because of the relatively easy life style and warm climate. After a while you just ignore it. It's like India where dead and dying people might be laying on the sidewalk and other people will step right over them. You get hardened to all the beggers in the street, and even the ones that truly need the help.

Just last night I saw two fights and too many loutish young farangs to mention. I had to get personally involved with two groups of drunks just so a friend could finish up her job for the night at 3 AM. I agree with the OP that, that sort of behaviour SHOULDN'T happen, but it does... everywhere.

The quote "you can never win an argument with an ignoramus", comes to mind.

Why is everyone pissing on the OP?

I live on a soi where Europeans often take a pee and in a few hours it reeks.

How would you like it I came over and took a leak on your doorstep or in your soi? What's next? Voiding one's bowels? Is it ok, if I come a take a dump on your frontwalk? Sorry, but some of you are being unduly harsh to the OP. How <deleted> hard is it for an adult not to pee in a public area?

If you do not like it... move. The OP was lucky he did not get assaulted.

Why is everyone pissing on the OP?

I live on a soi where Europeans often take a pee and in a few hours it reeks.

How would you like it I came over and took a leak on your doorstep or in your soi? What's next? Voiding one's bowels? Is it ok, if I come a take a dump on your frontwalk? Sorry, but some of you are being unduly harsh to the OP. How <deleted> hard is it for an adult not to pee in a public area?

I think OP can handle it.

He has been around for some time and probably expected some of the responses that would come.

;)

Anyhow, I totally agree with you.

If someone pissed on my doorstep, I would not accept it.

Most people would agree about that.

Still there are some fairly young and healthy members here that can not understand why other do not like that they urinate in public.

They keep making excuses about why it should be ok.

I guess that's the point about a discussion.

:)

Load of ole crap Id say, its self inflicted alright, yeah they're all wrong in the American Medical association..........hope that clears it up for you.

Anyone seen the movie '15 minutes' with Robert de Niro, wherein the two Russian protagonists exclaim 'America! Wonderful! Nothing is anybody's own fault!'.

I have a Thai friend I've known for 14 years who is a drunk. He will drink from when he arrives at his office first thing in the morning, until close of his business.

He stops drinking EVERY year for the duration of Kao Pansah (Buddhist Lent)for 3 months. As I told an American friend of mine, who is a drunk and insists it a 'disease', 'Then how can he do this?' Blank stare.

And as my mother says re the American view of obesity 'It's a disease' How come no one got out of Belsen or Auschwitz FAT?'.

Edited by inmysights

alright enough already.

all i see on this thread are insults after insults. going in every direction.

you guys need to find something more (else) to do to relax on a sunday afternoon. gee.

thread is now closed.