EGYPTIAN PRESIDENT MUBARAK TO RESIGN TONIGHT - AL ARABIYA TV

News_Editor

Nobody knows what is next. Quite usually, the people that ultimately take power after a revolution aren't the same people who started it. Sober analysts are mostly saying the kind of democracy a westerner would recognize is decades away from actually coming into being in Egypt, revolt or no revolt.

Edited by Jingthing

IF....just IF...this is true, nothing much will change but the people of Egypt will feel relieved and restore hope for a better future.

1/3 of the total economy (which is a massive number in the $ 500 Billion GDP ecocomy) is for 100% controlled by the military and the generals won't give up their long-time benefits. <_<

LaoPo

It is actually debatable whether the real majority in Egypt want really radical change although it is rather clear the majority think Mubarek has ruled long enough. Yes, the demos are very impressive, but they don't even have opinion polls in Egypt, much less real elections.

Breaking News Alert - The New York Times

Egypt's Army Signals Transfer of Power

11egypt3-articleLarge.jpg

Suhaib Salem/Reuters Hassan al-Roweny, an Egyptian army commander, addressed protesters in Tahrir Square on Thursday.

By DAVID D. KIRKPATRICK, ANTHONY SHADID AND ALAN COWELL

Published: February 10, 2011

CAIRO — Egypt's armed forces on Thursday announced that they had begun to take "necessary measures to protect the nation and support the legitimate demands of the people," a step that suggested the military intends to take a commanding role in administering the strife-torn nation.

Continues:

http://www.nytimes.c...?_r=1&hp&emc=na

LaoPo

Edited by LaoPo

Breaking News Alert - The New York Times

Egypt's Army Signals Transfer of Power

11egypt3-articleLarge.jpg

Suhaib Salem/Reuters Hassan al-Roweny, an Egyptian army commander, addressed protesters in Tahrir Square on Thursday.

By DAVID D. KIRKPATRICK, ANTHONY SHADID AND ALAN COWELL

Published: February 10, 2011

CAIRO — Egypt's armed forces on Thursday announced that they had begun to take "necessary measures to protect the nation and support the legitimate demands of the people," a step that suggested the military intends to take a commanding role in administering the strife-torn nation.

Continues:

http://www.nytimes.c...?_r=1&hp&emc=na

LaoPo

Found a better protester picture on the BBC.

_51194954_011231808-1.jpg

Mubarak not stepping down

He spoke a lot about transitions and giving many powers to the vice president and excuses about the deaths of so many and that the responsible ones will be punished, but he's not going anywhere.

He will oversee the transition from now on to September.

IMO it shows that he still has enormous powers over the military or at least that they allow him to stay President for the time being.

I find this strange since the military would have had a chance to take full control (they did already) over the country and send him to his palace in Sharm el Sheikh so that the people would have been satisfied and that he could go with some dignity; not so it seems.

A tough cookie to crack.

I wonder what America's role has been in all this behind the Egyptian velvet curtains: meaning: were they able to remove him (or have him removed), softly.....as Obama said and wished for...........?

It seems not.

LaoPo

I think you're right, someone's been hard at work raising people's expectations today. I suspect this demonstration might turn into a violent revolution.

Memories of Ceauşescu's live on TV execution come to mind.

I guess this Mubarak guy has balls though, he's not scared of a couple of million people flailing their shoes above their heads.

I think you're right, someone's been hard at work raising people's expectations today. I suspect this demonstration might turn into a violent revolution.

Memories of Ceauşescu's live on TV execution come to mind.

I guess this Mubarak guy has balls though, he's not scared of a couple of million people flailing their shoes above their heads.

It's not just Mubarak anymore; it's the military, controlling more than 1/3 of the total economy in Egypt and the generals will never give up their powerful positions.

I think it was them who decided to let him swim a little more, allowing them to gain more power and tanks in Cairo's streets, trying to calm the crowds.

The people trust the military and THAT suits them well, very well. If the crowd accept this unexpected move remains to be seen and it's now up to the military to control those masses who are extremely disppointed...:(

If they can...? I don't know, the same as we don't know what's going on behind the velvet curtains of Egypt, the US and Israel....but a lot of people are very worried. :ermm:

LaoPo

some excerpts from an article about the Military powers in Egypt:

"Egypt's government is not so much a Mubarak government as it is a military government," said Jon Alterman, director of the Middle East program at the Center for Strategic and International Studies, a Washington-based policy group. "Generals and retired generals control much of the government and much of the economy, and they would stand to lose a great deal if Mubarak were deposed."

<snip>

'Military Establishment'

"We have to remember that Egypt is essentially run by the military establishment, who control vast swaths of the economy and essentially dictate regional foreign policy," John R. Bradley, author of "Inside Egypt: The Land of the Pharaohs on the Brink of a Revolution," said in an interview.

The Egyptian armed forces control factories that make a range of products ranging from weapons to drugs, and even home appliances such as cookers. It's the largest army in the Arab world, totaling about 450,000 personnel divided into four services -- the army, air defense, air force and navy, according to globalsecurity.org.

LaoPo

Edited by LaoPo

The next 24 to 36 hours will be very interesting. If the demonstrations turn violent what will the military do? Will the despised police be brought in again? What happens if the labor strikes spread and bring down the economy? What about the security of the Suez Canal?

Is there any member of TV that would care to predict (or speculate)? I for one hope that more lives are not lost.

One thing I don't understand so much about this situation is that Mubarak and now Suleiman who's speaking on Al Jazeera at the moment keep referring to 'The Youth'.

From what I've seen this is no student/youth protest, it's a general uprising involving people of all ages, not just 'The Youth'. I wonder if they actually have much of a clue what's going on out there. Friday's have been the main day of protest so far each week and it's coming tomorrow after the mid day prayers. I predict it will be much larger than before and now they will concentrate on Mubarak's proxy and any other cronies who may be involved.

At one point Mubarak referred to the 'youth' as his children almost like a King trying to placate his people.

I personally would like to see a forced overthrow and dismantling of the entire government system in Egypt ready for a fresh restart. This could easily turn into a war between the government and the people.

I do know one thing for sure, the Government couldn't kill all the people even if they tried but the people can for sure destroy and dismantle the entire regime by force should they choose to do so.

If this happens there will be mass casualties unless the Military back off and stage a coup.

Once this is all over I'd like to see a thorough examination of this guys financial records dating back to when he first came into power and explaining in detail where his huge personal financial resources come from. From what I've read of his personal wealth he must have accumulated a Billion US$ per year for the last 30 years.

Once this is all over I'd like to see a thorough examination of this guys financial records dating back to when he first came into power and explaining in detail where his huge personal financial resources come from. From what I've read of his personal wealth he must have accumulated a Billion US$ per year for the last 30 years.

thats about the going rate for a US controlled Middle Eastern State puppet 'leader'

Yeah.. he used them ($ in his bank) as much as they used him (decades of State 'peace' with the Zionists)... Its a simple game of elite give & take, but now its all gone tits up.... because the angry mass of poor people have come out of their slumber to see the grand sham.. (thanks internet)

Rest of the World... Take note !

BREAKING NEWS from CNN Television

Vice President now defacto President of Egypt.

Edit:

Egyptian Ambassador to the US:

"MUBARAK HAS NO POWER"

LaoPo

Edited by LaoPo

Here is another possibility nobody has yet commented on:

Editorial: What Egyptians Really Want

Posted 07:20 PM ET

Islamofascism: Romantics in Western media expect "democracy" to flower from the anti-Mubarak rioting in Cairo. But polling shows Egyptians actually seek strict Islamic rule.

According to a major survey conducted last year by the Pew Research Center, adults in Egypt don't crave Western-style democracy, as pundits have blithely trumpeted throughout coverage of the unrest.

Far from it, the vast majority of them want a larger role for Islam in government. This includes making barbaric punishments, such as stoning adulterers and executing apostates, the law of their country. With the ouster of their secular, pro-American leader, they may get their wish.

Among highlights from the Pew poll:

• 49% of Egyptians say Islam plays only a "small role" in public affairs under President Hosni Mubarak, while 95% prefer the religion play a "large role in politics."

• 84% favor the death penalty for people who leave the Muslim faith.

• 82% support stoning adulterers.

• 77% think thieves should have their hands cut off.

• 54% support a law segregating women from men in the workplace.

• 54% believe suicide bombings that kill civilians can be justified.

• Nearly half support the terrorist group Hamas.

More here: http://www.investors.com/NewsAndAnalysis/Article/562840/201102101920/What-Egyptians-Really-Do-Want.htm

More here: http://www.investors...lly-Do-Want.htm

To someone, asking WHO these people from The Pew Research Center are, a reader wrote this in his comment:

"....A nonpartisan fact tank that provides information on the issues, attitudes and trends shaping America and the world through public opinion polling. The IBD (Investors Business Daily - LP) will use only the data that defends their argument at the time. Time and time again, they leave out critical data that would destroy their own argument. I wonder if anyone besides myself picks up on this?"

We better not pay too much attention to this "major survey conducted last year" by this Pew Center Research, which is published by the IBD without asking any questions.

The comments and images on television by the millions of protesters in Egypt say more than enough, contrary to this so called major survey. <_<

LaoPo

The comments and images on television by the millions of protesters in Egypt say more than enough, contrary to this so called major survey. <_<

In respect to your comment, there are not millions of protestors in Egypt. There have been several hundred thousand on the streets of Cairo at the height of the protest and perhaps tens of thousands in Alexandria. The rest of Egypt is quiet. There is a large part of the Egyptian population that just wants Mubarek to go with his dignity intact and for things to be quiet. Now if you wanted to say that public sentiment has been in part manipulated by the Egyptian establishment managing the media and spreading rumours that the protests were staged by foreigners, I wouldn't argue against the point.

To someone, asking WHO these people from The Pew Research Center are, a reader wrote this in his comment:

"....A nonpartisan fact tank that provides information on the issues, attitudes and trends shaping America and the world through public opinion polling. The IBD (Investors Business Daily - LP) will use only the data that defends their argument at the time. Time and time again, they leave out critical data that would destroy their own argument. I wonder if anyone besides myself picks up on this?"

We better not pay too much attention to this "major survey conducted last year" by this Pew Center Research, which is published by the IBD without asking any questions.

LaoPo

Anyone who expect a 'progress' that brings the country more closer to something what they think will be a more 'western style' of society must be a dreamer.

LaoPo

If you will notice, the article is headed thusly... "Editorial: What Egyptians Really Want"

The operational word here is...."EDITORIAL"

Here is the opening of Wikipedia's link on the Pew Research Center:

"The Pew Research Center is an American think tank organization based in Washington, D.C. that provides information on issues, attitudes and trends shaping the United States and the world. The Center and its projects receive funding from The Pew Charitable Trusts. In 1990 Donald S. Kellermann was named to serve as the first director of what was initially known as the Times Mirror Center. It was then part of the opinion polling operation run by Times Mirror, the parent of the Los Angeles Times.[2]"

It continues with this:

"The Pew Global Attitudes Project is a series of worldwide public-opinion surveys and reports aimed at understanding worldwide attitudes on various issues. The Project is chaired by former U.S. Secretary of State Madeleine Albright and former U.S. Ambassador to the United Nations John Danforth. The project is funded by the Pew Charitable Trusts, with a supplemental grant from the William and Flora Hewlett Foundation"

Link here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pew_Research_Center

Madeline Albright a conservative? :cheesy:

Believe what you want to believe, but watch out for that Kool Aid.