Another New Pizza Place Open Or About To Open

goforit

I don't think that he means the street-stall kind of sushi. ;)

I would guess that pizza is expensive because decent imported cheese is not cheap.

Yeah, I was talking abouyt the strett stall/market sushi but even in the Japanese restaurants it's about all the sushi you can eat for 200-300 Baht. I can drop $50-$75 in a sushi bar in the states without even trying.

It all depends upon the venue. I know of places in California where the sushi is outstanding (especially compared to Chiang Mai) in quality and quantity and costs less than half than the sushi at the more popular sushi restaurants in Chiang Mai.

I don't think that he means the street-stall kind of sushi. ;)

I would guess that pizza is expensive because decent imported cheese is not cheap.

Yeah, I was talking abouyt the strett stall/market sushi but even in the Japanese restaurants it's about all the sushi you can eat for 200-300 Baht. I can drop $50-$75 in a sushi bar in the states without even trying.

All the sushi you can eat for 200-300 Baht? Can you recommend anywhere in the Thapae Gate/Night Bazaar area that is good?

I thought this thread was about Pizza. :unsure:

All I am seeing is on the last page is sushi :ermm:

By all means start a sushi thread :)

Otherwise please try and stay on topic

Thanks

Don't get into town much UG, but Yamoto's was pretty good as I recall. Pizza-wise, stopped by the object of the thread restaurant about 3:45 this afternoon, for a pizza. Closed! Will try again later.

Talking of pizza prices, if you want to make a good product, choosing the proper ingredients:

Flour 32 Baht/kg (buying bulk)

Italian Flour 60 Baht Kg

Mozzarella for pizza from 280 Baht Kg

Tomato peeled or crushed local 135 Baht Can 2.5 Kg

Italian from 290 Baht for 3.8 Kg Can

Yeast, gas for cooking, oven equipment, rent, staff, etc etc

You will find that pizza in Thailand is not so expensive as you think

:lol:

A friend and I ate at Francesca's Pizzeria last night and pizza was very good. Luca is the Italian owner and went out of his way to make the meal enjoyable. Even gave us a free sample of the garlic bread and an after dinner liquor. Everything is home made from the fresh tomato sauce to a great Caesar Salad dressing. Will be going back to try the pastas.

A friend and I ate at Francesca's Pizzeria last night and pizza was very good. Luca is the Italian owner and went out of his way to make the meal enjoyable. Even gave us a free sample of the garlic bread and an after dinner liquor. Everything is home made from the fresh tomato sauce to a great Caesar Salad dressing. Will be going back to try the pastas.

WHERE??? Usually, unless the place is really well known, it's preferred to provide a location and directions. Also, the price would be helpfull.

Edited by venturalaw

Try reading the OP(see below). It's called Francesca's

"Today I was heading south on Canal Road and noticed just past the entrance to Kool Punt Ville 7 there was a sign up for Pizza in a new store about 200 meters on the left."

"Today I was heading south on Canal Road and noticed just past the entrance to Kool Punt Ville 7 there was a sign up for Pizza in a new store about 200 meters on the left."

Sorry about that. However, I do not know the location of Kool Punt Ville 7. Any cross streets? North or south of Suthep? Closer to Mae Rim or Hang Dong?

Sorry about that. However, I do not know the location of Kool Punt Ville 7. Any cross streets? North or south of Suthep? Closer to Mae Rim or Hang Dong?

Hang Dong side. It's located about 600-700 meters past Talad Mae Hia heading south on the same side of the canal Road in a grouping of newer yellowish shophouses.

Hang Dong side. It's located about 600-700 meters past Talad Mae Hia heading south on the same side of the canal Road in a grouping of newer yellowish shophouses.

Thank you. :jap:

Edited by venturalaw

Happy pizza Hang Dong Rd

yummy

where on hang dong road? near our mooban?

got it - you don't mean hang dong road - happy nice place but would not say pizzas were that great to be honest -but friendly and convenient

Stopped by Francesco's tonight for pizza and a coule of pasta dishes. Very delicious and will be back again soon. Not cheap, not expensive. Just right, except for being in a shophouse, which doesn't put one in mind of a trattoria.

It's called Francesca, by the way and it is bang opposite Emporor 1 Mooban on Canal Road. They have a take out menu and do delivery up to 6Km for a modest 20 baht service charge. I tried it the other day for a pizza and it was OK but I'd like to try their pasta which looked very nice.

Prices: 7 inch pizza with 2 toppings 100 baht and then 10 and 12" sizes from 150 to 350 baht depending on the variety. Also, he serves Sergio's excellent ice cream for 30 baht a scoop too!

Stopped by Francesco's tonight for pizza and a coule of pasta dishes. Very delicious and will be back again soon. Not cheap, not expensive. Just right, except for being in a shophouse, which doesn't put one in mind of a trattoria.

It's called Francesca, by the way and it is bang opposite Emporor 1 Mooban on Canal Road. They have a take out menu and do delivery up to 6Km for a modest 20 baht service charge. I tried it the other day for a pizza and it was OK but I'd like to try their pasta which looked very nice.

Prices: 7 inch pizza with 2 toppings 100 baht and then 10 and 12" sizes from 150 to 350 baht depending on the variety. Also, he serves Sergio's excellent ice cream for 30 baht a scoop too!

Yes, sorry I got the name incorrect. Anyhow, you're going to enjoy those pasta dishes. I ordered the Spaghetti Carbonara and Penne Francesca. Both absolutely rich and delicious. The pizza was a happy surprise. Not exactly thin Italian style. More American style but with a thinner crust and Italian seasonings. Very nice. I think I'm going back tonight.

I ate the lasagna at Francesco's last night, the taste was good but I had to wait 45 minutes for it and the portion was quite lean. 160 b

Happy there was much to do while waiting, they don't have an aircon (yet?) but the door was open and there were many mosquito's invited. :D

My wife had a pizza, the taste was good but the price is the same or almost the same as in town. 225 b

They are smart, you can choose 10" or 12" The 12" is the normal size elsewhere but here more expensive.

Happy the lady don't eat so much. :lol:

There is not the Italian atmosphere, it is indeed more a trattoria but restaurant prices.

• 4 months later...

Because it is not very far from where I live, I gave the Francesca restaurant a second (and third already) chance. I like to tell you the cosy restaurant has airco now, no more mosquito's. But the most important thing is the food of course and the lasagna al forno, 160b, seems better then the first time, delicious. The pizza's have a great natural taste, no msg and not to salty, for me it means I don't wake up from thirst in the night.

If you like a thin crust you have to order, they serve the crust a little more thick as norm here. Anyway, because my review was not inspired, I like to reviset it.

Why is pizza so expensive all over Thailand?

I agree. And not only is the pizza overpriced relative to the quality, but have you checked out sushi in Thailand? It's expensive as hell and absolute crap - even in the, for lack of a better term, high end (comparatively speaking) places. Sushi back home was soooooooo much better and less than half the price. It's not like it's difficult or complicated to make. I don't get it!

Local sushi for 5 or 10 THB per piece, expensive ?, i don't think you can get that home for half the price.

I agree. And not only is the pizza overpriced relative to the quality, but have you checked out sushi in Thailand? It's expensive as hell and absolute crap - even in the, for lack of a better term, high end (comparatively speaking) places. Sushi back home was soooooooo much better and less than half the price. It's not like it's difficult or complicated to make. I don't get it!

Local sushi for 5 or 10 THB per piece, expensive ?, i don't think you can get that home for half the price.

I'm pretty sure that he is talking about sushi in Japanese restaurants, not the crap that you buy at the local market that has been sitting out all day in the hot sun.

LOL that's not sushi.

LOL that's not sushi.

I like the bright green stuff. Food can never be too green.