Where Would A Respectable 30-Something Lady Go At Night?

WinnieTheKhwai

Details:

* Thai women, 30-something

* Married with kids, but wanting to go out on a Friday or Saturday night

* Little bit too old for the teenage crowd, but not old enough to sit at home and drink wine.

* In need of a fun night spot, conducive to meeting people / like-minded individuals.

Does anyone have any suggestions? I'm thinking they'd warm up at Wine Connection, but then what.. Nimman area most likely, but which places specifically?

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No1 bar, as you keep telling us, it's totally respectable.

But how about the the live music and eating places near Chang Puak, about 5 places in the same soy.

drive around the moat, turn out at Chang Puak gate, first traffic lights turn left, drive until the TOPs signpost.

Just after passing the signpost on the right, big unpaved dirt path and parking area surrounded by Thai eating places with loads of live music.

Yes, definitely. However you don't really see any Thai women there going out unless they're with a Farang husband and/or have a history of working at the place.

The soi you mention is where the Mercure (ex Novotel) is right? Is that a slightly dodgy area perhaps, there's also a bunch of seedy gay places in that area? I'm now also thinking some places on the river will work, like the grand old Riverside even.

If my wife goes out with friends its always to the Nimmenheimen area.

Never been myself, but from the pics she has taken it looks like a very respectable area for a girls night out (with lots of food of course :D )

BTW...married Thai women don't go out very much, something to do with the fact that they are married and should not be seen frequenting bars and clubs...so I have been told.

My wife goes out about twice a year, thats not because I object to her going out, its just that she does not want to and hardly drinks anyway.

BTW...married Thai women don't go out very much, something to do with the fact that they are married and should not be seen frequenting bars and clubs...so I have been told.

Yeah, tell me about it. :( Some of that may be a remnant of some sexist aspects of the culture that still persist in many peoples minds, including the women themselves. (Some of the ones who are inclined should start a Chiang Mai Cougar Club I think. ;)

If my wife goes out with friends its always to the Nimmenheimen area.

Never been myself, but from the pics she has taken it looks like a very respectable area for a girls night out (with lots of food of course :D )

Ehm, yes. When I go out and take pictures to show the Mrs they tend to be respectable too, but not necessarily a comprehensive summary of the actual goings-on. ;) But seriously, can you ask her which places in particular she enjoys?

I think I'll PM SaoChiangMai on this as well. Even though she clearly got some distance to go before hitting 30-something, she may have a good scoop on mature-women-friendly nightlife. (I looked at a listing of pubs & clubs on her site and it seemed in need of a freshening up.)

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

What kind of things do they want to do when they go out winnie? Listening to live music? Background music? dancing?

Im not much of an night owl, but places like The Riva seem to be popular and The Box on nimmen (live music). Ive seen groups of ladies out on nights out at these places (and have been part of ladies groups at these venues myself). Ive been to the Glass Onion only once (they had a Latin night that night, and was a great vibe), but loved the decor (nimmen area). Correct me if im wrong (anyone), but seems to be a bit of a gay hangout, but as a woman, thats actually rather nice. You are left alone to enjoy the ambiance. These are the only places i can think of off the top of my head.

What kind of things do they want to do when they go out winnie? Listening to live music? Background music? dancing?

Yes, all of the above as the night progresses, not necessarily in the same place all night.

Im not much of an night owl, but places like The Riva seem to be popular and The Box on nimmen (live music). Ive seen groups of ladies out on nights out at these places (and have been part of ladies groups at these [venues myself). Ive been to the Glass Onion only once (they had a Latin night that night, and was a great vibe), but loved the decor (nimmen area). Correct me if im wrong (anyone), but seems to be a bit of a gay hangout, but as a woman, thats actually rather nice. You are left alone to enjoy the ambiance. These are the only places i can think of off the top of my head.

Thanks!!! Glass Onion is super gay yes. But I agree that's not a bad thing, necessarily.

Yes, definitely. However you don't really see any Thai women there going out unless they're with a Farang husband and/or have a history of working at the place.

The soi you mention is where the Mercure (ex Novotel) is right? Is that a slightly dodgy area perhaps, there's also a bunch of seedy gay places in that area? I'm now also thinking some places on the river will work, like the grand old Riverside even.

I like Goodview near the Riverside better. Thai and Farang. And #1 is fine as well.

I like Goodview near the Riverside better. Thai and Farang. And #1 is fine as well.

Yeah I like that area too.

All of it actually...

Riverside, Goodview & Brasserie

Food I like best at Riverside

Live Music best at Riverside & Brasserie although have had some good nights at Goodview too

All 3 close enough to park at riverside & walk to any of them

I'd say any place she likes, Winnie... just so long as she is farang. If she were Asian I'd be a little careful because she might get taken as you know what. Most of what I was going to suggest has already been mentioned. I've always enjoyed the Brasserie. You can sit within talking distance of excellent muscians. I've never seen a farang woman get hassled if she was sitting alone at a bar on Loi Kroh road. But, most farang women would prefer to be there with a friend... either male or female. The female staff at the Zoom bar (Muay Thai boxing area) are very pleasant with male or female people who come in alone. They will join you for a game of pool if that is your pleasure.

I'd say any place she likes, Winnie... just so long as she is farang. If she were Asian I'd be a little careful because she might get taken as you know what.

Yes, I told her to stay away from Loi Kroh. (Partly for that reason, partly because that's where I will be. ;) )

She looks East Asian and so do her friends.

I've never seen a farang woman get hassled if she was sitting alone at a bar on Loi Kroh road.

Me neither. I even caught the occasional one actually having fun!

EDIT: Ah crap.. updated requirement: " Like to see Farang a " They're going to be Farang hunting it seems. Moon Muang Soi 9 I guess will work in that case. And the aforementioned 'Riva' pub, right? And Riverside of course still works.

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

The old TGF and friends used to enjoy a good night out in a Thai relaxed atmosphere down at Damnoen Folk off Changklan. I went along with the ladies a couple times. It was nice for lsitening to music - more Thai country or Peua Chiwit-type music (ala Carabao) without the seedniess of the Hot Shot pick-up atmosphere, or the Riverside n Goodview 'we're fancy' or 'look at us' atmosphere. It's just low key and fun.

For anybody interested, it's on the right as you head south when you turn in to the Samo Pub parking area - which also happens to be opposite the short cut soi thru to Jaroen Prathet Rd. which creates the awkward 4-way intersection to the Rachawej Hospital on the other side. Hope that helps anyone interested triangulate.

Yes, the Glass Onion is "super gay" because it's an actual "gay bar." And I LOVE it. They are so nice to anyone who comes in, even the groups of straight 30-something farang ladies :) The owner always comes up and talks to us, asks where we are from, what we've been up to lately, etc. And the servers are really friendly too. Highly recommended. (ETA: they have the most comprehensive list of martinis I've seen in Chiang Mai. And they are HUGE. And delicious. The chocolate martini is to die for!)

Monkey and Warm Up are probably a bit young, but can be fun with a big group. However, Mo'C Mo'L, up Huay Gaew toward Doi Suthep, is owned by the Monkey Club owners and definitely has more of a 30s/40s vibe to it. I like that place.

Definitely the places on the Riverside...

But anyways, Winnie, why don't you just give your wife my number and she can go with me on a Friday night :) Then you and Mestizo can go to your favorite place :D

Edited by SadieMBeagle

The old TGF and friends used to enjoy a good night out in a Thai relaxed atmosphere down at Damnoen Folk off Changklan. I went along with the ladies a couple times. It was nice for lsitening to music - more Thai country or Peua Chiwit-type music (ala Carabao) without the seedniess of the Hot Shot pick-up atmosphere, or the Riverside n Goodview 'we're fancy' or 'look at us' atmosphere. It's just low key and fun.

For anybody interested, it's on the right as you head south when you turn in to the Samo Pub parking area - which also happens to be opposite the short cut soi thru to Jaroen Prathet Rd. which creates the awkward 4-way intersection to the Rachawej Hospital on the other side. Hope that helps anyone interested triangulate.

LOL:, thank you, strangely enough those extra directions helped. That intersection is not awkward for me though, it's awkward for everyone else; I just drive straight through. ;)

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

Yes, the Glass Onion is "super gay" because it's an actual "gay bar." And I LOVE it. They are so nice to anyone who comes in, even the groups of straight 30-something farang ladies :) The owner always comes up and talks to us, asks where we are from, what we've been up to lately, etc. And the servers are really friendly too. Highly recommended. (ETA: they have the most comprehensive list of martinis I've seen in Chiang Mai. And they are HUGE. And delicious. The chocolate martini is to die for!)

Ah.. that may be worth a visit then. I always wondered about Martini. Weird kind of alcohol.

But anyways, Winnie, why don't you just give your wife my number and she can go with me on a Friday night :) Then you and Mestizo can go to your favorite place :D

I am concerned you will end up at Adams Apple again. :P

I am concerned you will end up at Adams Apple again. :P

So what's wrong with that?? You liked it well enough, didn't yeh? ;)cheesy.gif

My ex wife (Thai, 30) went to clubs around Nimanhemen with Thai girlfriends from time to time. I used to say that in the UK men often saw nightclubs etc as pick-up joints. She assured me that in Thailand it doesn't work that way. A group of women/girls/ladies can go out and have fun and that is quite normal. Monkey is apparently a favourite and I've forgotten the names of others.

My ex wife (Thai, 30) went to clubs around Nimanhemen with Thai girlfriends from time to time. I used to say that in the UK men often saw nightclubs etc as pick-up joints. She assured me that in Thailand it doesn't work that way. A group of women/girls/ladies can go out and have fun and that is quite normal. Monkey is apparently a favourite and I've forgotten the names of others.

That wasn't my experience. Thai women are just more discreet than western women and don't snog drunkenly on the dance floor. Many are still up for a bit of action though. It's unlikely a Thai man would allow his wife to go to a place where there are men and alcohol.

Monkey is second only to Spicy as the after hours venue for working girls without a customer.

Not in any way respectable.

hi, how about the 'Chiq' bar, i was there last Saturday night and really enjoyed it, only one other farang in there, which was nice, and i dont read that many reviews about the place, so non farang! go there! as for farang based bars.....any other !!! we farangs like to drink!

Anybody else like to inform me of non farang bars? i didn't come to Thailand to be with westerners!!!

@OP I think such a lady would go anywhere anybody else is going too. Nimmanhemin Warm Up and Monkey Club as well as many little food places and bars in the sois, Mok Mol Huay Khao, Fabrique night club for dancing later on when all those respectable lady friends are a little less respectable and already drunk... venue I don't think is all that important when you come with a bunch of (lady) friends anyway.

At least that's what my wife does when she goes out :D

The soi you mention is where the Mercure (ex Novotel) is right? Is that a slightly dodgy area perhaps, there's also a bunch of seedy gay places in that area?

And what's wrong with seedy gay places? :unsure:

Though I guess The Playhouse has a hi dose of "camp" if you like that :D

AFAIK there are no gay bars in that immediate area any more - meaning nearby the old Simon Cabaret parking area, now full of new bars/restaurants. There was a rather rough and fun gay place there who's highlight was the two twins behind the bar, but that demised about a year back.

However, immediately next door (Chang Puek Soi 4) there's plenty of straight, old and VERY seedy places :o I've never seen any ladies under thirty there :ph34r:

Thanks everyone for the excellent replies. Some I think will be used in the weeks to come to check out. Even with all the excellent Nimman recommendations, on this night in particular the desire to watch weird Farang got the better of them, so it ended at some of the more backpacker / NGO / teacher - oriented places.. Good choice, to be honest. But on the agenda for the coming weeks will be some currently popular Nimman places, specifically The Mix in Soi 1, Pinocchio in Soi 7, The Box, Glass Onion and others. Also North-something on Chayiaphoom Rd, and the perennial favorites on the river.

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai