Where Would A Respectable 30-Something Lady Go At Night?

WinnieTheKhwai

I didn't see her at Spicey last night, but I did smell a lot of the drunken armpit crowd. First time in 3 years for me and it reminded me why i don't like that place. But, on the good side there were only 2 fights in the hour I was there.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No1 bar, as you keep telling us, it's totally respectable.

But how about the the live music and eating places near Chang Puak, about 5 places in the same soy.

drive around the moat, turn out at Chang Puak gate, first traffic lights turn left, drive until the TOPs signpost.

Just after passing the signpost on the right, big unpaved dirt path and parking area surrounded by Thai eating places with loads of live music.

No.1 bar? you mean the girls aren't PFP? I must have been dreaming ;)

My ex wife (Thai, 30) went to clubs around Nimanhemen with Thai girlfriends from time to time. I used to say that in the UK men often saw nightclubs etc as pick-up joints. She assured me that in Thailand it doesn't work that way. A group of women/girls/ladies can go out and have fun and that is quite normal. Monkey is apparently a favourite and I've forgotten the names of others.

Monkey is second only to Spicy as the after hours venue for working girls without a customer.

Not in any way respectable.

Tell me more. I'm surprised.

Plenty of 'mature' women come to The Olde Bell without incident. Most people find our atmosphere convivial!

With the average age of your clientelle Pedr :o i wouldn't imagine you get many incidents :D

that's the age we're aiming at Alfie! Lots of guys of a certain age come here and they are the guys we cater for. that's why I suggested that the OP's lady friend of 30 plus comes here - given the level of maturity of our customers - and I'm flattered that you yourself are one - not getting any younger are you!!- his friend would be quite safe here.

BTW...married Thai women don't go out very much, something to do with the fact that they are married and should not be seen frequenting bars and clubs...so I have been told.

I dont think it has anything to do with being married. Whether married or single, man or woman, rich or poor, Isaan or Chinese is immaterial. Frequenting bars and clubs (i dont think you are referring to sports or hobby clubs) is morally unacceptable in any culture. I think it has more to do with good upbringing in a warm family atmosphere, good education and good choice of friends which keeps them away from such vices.

Thais of all ages seem to get a kick out of leisure dessert/ ice cream nibbling and taking pictures over at i-berry, by the way. They close up about 10 or 11p (I think) on the weekends, but still this can give some diversion to the ladies. All kinds of things to look at over there, including people watching.

I dont think it has anything to do with being married. Whether married or single, man or woman, rich or poor, Isaan or Chinese is immaterial. Frequenting bars and clubs (i dont think you are referring to sports or hobby clubs) is morally unacceptable in any culture.

Ah, that must be why there are so few pubs, bars, karaokes and so on in Thialand. :rolleyes: Because everyone is at home or in Church.

I didn't see her at Spicey last night, but I did smell a lot of the drunken armpit crowd. First time in 3 years for me and it reminded me why i don't like that place. But, on the good side there were only 2 fights in the hour I was there.

Were the French maintaining their status as "smelliest farang"?

My ex wife (Thai, 30) went to clubs around Nimanhemen with Thai girlfriends from time to time. I used to say that in the UK men often saw nightclubs etc as pick-up joints. She assured me that in Thailand it doesn't work that way. A group of women/girls/ladies can go out and have fun and that is quite normal. Monkey is apparently a favourite and I've forgotten the names of others.

Monkey is second only to Spicy as the after hours venue for working girls without a customer.

Not in any way respectable.

Tell me more. I'm surprised.

Having been to Monkey countless times I have never come across a working girl there - never. I understood 'Discovery' (I have not been) is second to Spicy for working girls? I guess I'll have to check it out for research purposes. What about Hotshot?

I hear Hotshot mentioned an awful lot. Apparently many bar staff prefer it as an after hours place over Spicy. (primarily for legitimate reasons it seems, that it's more fun and less seedy.)

Another contender: Fabrique. (Not sure that's how it's spelled.. I see it written Fabric or Febric as well)

You may need to define 'working girl' however. Staff from tourist bars may well prefer different places to those gainfully employed at karaokes, restaurants and massage estabishments.

"Frequenting bars and clubs (i dont think you are referring to sports or hobby clubs) is morally unacceptable in any culture. I think it has more to do with good upbringing in a warm family atmosphere, good education and good choice of friends which keeps them away from such vices."

underlining mine

The expression 'in any culture' takes up a large territory. Admittedly, the U.S. mostly has Kulture, but there would be few citizens there who would agree with the above observation. "Girls' night out" no longer means a sewing circle, even among married women. Looking around for guys by unmarried women in bars, after work, for example, is not unknown. In failing/failed marriages, not all women run directly to a priest or another religious leader or a "shrink."

Equating socializing in a bar directly with "vice" is also contentious.

Edited by CMX

I hear Hotshot mentioned an awful lot. Apparently many bar staff prefer it as an after hours place over Spicy. (primarily for legitimate reasons it seems, that it's more fun and less seedy.)

Another contender: Fabrique. (Not sure that's how it's spelled.. I see it written Fabric or Febric as well)

You may need to define 'working girl' however. Staff from tourist bars may well prefer different places to those gainfully employed at karaokes, restaurants and massage estabishments.

Fabrique is not on the list I believe - for farangs there's a charge to get in and many of us don't go there - it's also full of young Thai guys hugging a bottle of 100 Pipers between 10 of them so I'd be very surprised if any PFP girls went there - Hotshot I have come across a few from the bars in Loi Khroh so I'm guessing they are not there for the music. Spicy is streets ahead of anything else in the seedy stakes. I don't think there are ANY bars in the Nimman area that have PFP girls unless anyone can correct me?

Well, I don't think there are any bars anywhere that don't have PFP girls later on at night. It's perhaps about the percentage. Do however note that sometimes those women also just go for fun, not necessarily for professional reasons.

As recent as last Friday Fabrique didn't charge a cover charge to get in. High prices for beer though; perhaps the key is to bring in a bottle.

It's probably a good idea to start a glossary at this stage so we don't get caught up in jargon and abbreviations, and remain understandable to all:

PFP -- Personal Finance Planner.

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

Well, I don't think there are any bars anywhere that don't have PFP girls later on at night. It's perhaps about the percentage. Do however note that sometimes those women also just go for fun, not necessarily for professional reasons.

As recent as last Friday Fabrique didn't charge a cover charge to get in. High prices for beer though; perhaps the key is to bring in a bottle.

It's probably a good idea to start a glossary at this stage so we don't get caught up in jargon and abbreviations, and remain understandable to all:

I meant 'People For Pims' we were talking about 'respectable' right? tally ho!

haha yes I know - I actually go out to meet 'respectable' girls not 'professionals' and it's sometimes a disappointment when I think I'm doing really well with a nice gal and she 'reveals' she needs 'help' and 'support' or the family's Buffalo (no offence Winne) is sick *sigh*

It's been four months, but I am going to recommend Dayli for having the coldest, cheapest beer in town. Mostly upwardly mobile Thais. Your waitress is more likely a university honor student, than a lot of things. Food varies, but the special salad is great. There is almost always BBQ out front, that you can bring in and eat, if you don't like the menu.

haha yes I know - I actually go out to meet 'respectable' girls not 'professionals' and it's sometimes a disappointment when I think I'm doing really well with a nice gal and she 'reveals' she needs 'help' and 'support' or the family's Buffalo (no offence Winne) is sick *sigh*

I think it's a sliding scale into a gray area. Everyone appreciates some help making ends meet.

It's been four months, but I am going to recommend Dayli for having the coldest, cheapest beer in town. Mostly upwardly mobile Thais. Your waitress is more likely a university honor student, than a lot of things. Food varies, but the special salad is great. There is almost always BBQ out front, that you can bring in and eat, if you don't like the menu.

Interesting.. Where is that located?

I have personally never been there as I like the more active places in town. But heard good stories about CU Corner, I think it's moon muang soi 2. It's mentioned only once in this thread. But from what I've heard it's a very mellow easy going place where music loving ppl get together and talk over a glass of red wine.

Places like Hotshot do have bar girls, but they are more often than not there for their private enjoyment rather then hooking up with somebody. It's not an after hours place as I think it closes around 2 as well. Haven't been to Discovery in ages, but last time I was there it was mostly students and the music was very very monotone.

The Fabrique is a bit more hiso, hence to crowded car park. But it's still mostly young ppl indeed, I think it's good fun though and definitely the cleanest and nicest of the mentioned night clubs.

"Frequenting bars and clubs (i dont think you are referring to sports or hobby clubs) is morally unacceptable in any culture. I think it has more to do with good upbringing in a warm family atmosphere, good education and good choice of friends which keeps them away from such vices."

underlining mine

The expression 'in any culture' takes up a large territory. Admittedly, the U.S. mostly has Kulture, but there would be few citizens there who would agree with the above observation. "Girls' night out" no longer means a sewing circle, even among married women. Looking around for guys by unmarried women in bars, after work, for example, is not unknown. In failing/failed marriages, not all women run directly to a priest or another religious leader or a "shrink."

Equating socializing in a bar directly with "vice" is also contentious.

Good point, i absolutely agree with you that socializing in a bar is not an issue if one has some education, a functional family, financially earning a little, and then socializes to find stability with a good life partner. Nor is spending an ocassional evening socializing in a bar an issue or immoral just because one is married. I was replying to a poster who said that married Thai women do not frequent bars and clubs. I was referring to 'frequenting' bars or clubs (not the type of bar where you drink fruit juices nor the clubs where you go to play bridge) in search of quick entertainment as opposed to 'socializing' in a bar for finding a mate. Somehow, 'frequenting bars and clubs' has negative connotations, at least for me. Cheers.

Thanks Winnie for being so pak wan, but I am 37, so probably over the hill regarding your question!

Five, ten years ago I would have been in the know for sure, but I only go out about twice a week now, and mostly to parties or private things, not bars. However, as I do live on Nimmanhaemin Road, I often trot off with my dad or husband or friends for a sundowner or two...So here goes:

Glass Onion, as mentioned by so many, love it! It is however, a late night place and as it is gay owned there are many gay guys there (one of the reasons my husband loves me going there, utterly safe - not that I have been hit on for over ten years anyway, but it is sweet that he cares) but a great place to go on your own or with a group as there is always someone to talk to. I love the clientele there as it is always friendly the drinks are generous sized and the prices very decent. The music is great. Even rugby watching, cricket playing husband loves it and it s a place where anyone can go.

Drunken Flower, more of a chilled vibe, nice live music, artists, ajarn, expats and musicians, friendly place to sit at the bar and meet friendly people, cheap. Live music. Soi 17.

Sangdee Gallery, yes, I am a director, but it is a foundation and the drinks are dirt cheap and we are not making money! Lovely gallery vibe, only on wed, thurs and sundays are there lost of people. But with a group you can go with friends any day of teh week. It is nothing posh, but a great casual place where you can have really intersting converstaion with random strangers as tables tend to just join together and strangers are invited to sit down and join in.

At Nimman on Soi 9, trendy, best DJ in teh north, beautiful decor and setting, but no one there! So a great place to take friends, but not to go alone as you will be sitting there like a lemming.

The new rooftop of Zahara? I haven't been, but drove past last night and it looked packed.

The Box, great for wine lovers and nice place to watch the world go by, Ana Gracey plays there too which is always special. Apparently there may be a new wine bar opening in the area soon, will keep you posted.

So, that is the extent of my pub life I am afraid. Good luck!

BTW...married Thai women don't go out very much, something to do with the fact that they are married and should not be seen frequenting bars and clubs...so I have been told.

Yeah, tell me about it. :( Some of that may be a remnant of some sexist aspects of the culture that still persist in many peoples minds, including the women themselves. (Some of the ones who are inclined should start a Chiang Mai Cougar Club I think. ;)

If my wife goes out with friends its always to the Nimmenheimen area.

Never been myself, but from the pics she has taken it looks like a very respectable area for a girls night out (with lots of food of course :D )

Ehm, yes. When I go out and take pictures to show the Mrs they tend to be respectable too, but not necessarily a comprehensive summary of the actual goings-on. ;) But seriously, can you ask her which places in particular she enjoys?

I think I'll PM SaoChiangMai on this as well. Even though she clearly got some distance to go before hitting 30-something, she may have a good scoop on mature-women-friendly nightlife. (I looked at a listing of pubs & clubs on her site and it seemed in need of a freshening up.)

Having been to Monkey countless times I have never come across a working girl there - never. I understood 'Discovery' (I have not been) is second to Spicy for working girls? I guess I'll have to check it out for research purposes. What about Hotshot?

Went there myself on Saturday and I can confirm that it's full of "good girls" easily distinguished by their styling - they all look like young Koreans.

Fabrique later was similar but I found it a bit more relaxed, perhaps due to the later hour - everybody was somewhat intoxicated already ;) as we all know, normal Thai girls won't dance unless they're hammered.

Thanks Winnie for being so pak wan, but I am 37, so probably over the hill regarding your question!

Seriously!? While 'Pak Wan' is kind of my middle name, in this case I genuinely had no idea. ;)

Glass Onion, as mentioned by so many, love it! It is however, a late night place and as it is gay owned there are many gay guys there (one of the reasons my husband loves me going there, utterly safe - not that I have been hit on for over ten years anyway, but it is sweet that he cares) but a great place to go on your own or with a group as there is always someone to talk to. I love the clientele there as it is always friendly the drinks are generous sized and the prices very decent. The music is great. Even rugby watching, cricket playing husband loves it and it s a place where anyone can go.

Drunken Flower, more of a chilled vibe, nice live music, artists, ajarn, expats and musicians, friendly place to sit at the bar and meet friendly people, cheap. Live music. Soi 17.

Sangdee Gallery, yes, I am a director, but it is a foundation and the drinks are dirt cheap and we are not making money! Lovely gallery vibe, only on wed, thurs and sundays are there lost of people. But with a group you can go with friends any day of teh week. It is nothing posh, but a great casual place where you can have really intersting converstaion with random strangers as tables tend to just join together and strangers are invited to sit down and join in.

At Nimman on Soi 9, trendy, best DJ in teh north, beautiful decor and setting, but no one there! So a great place to take friends, but not to go alone as you will be sitting there like a lemming.

The new rooftop of Zahara? I haven't been, but drove past last night and it looked packed.

The Box, great for wine lovers and nice place to watch the world go by, Ana Gracey plays there too which is always special. Apparently there may be a new wine bar opening in the area soon, will keep you posted.

So, that is the extent of my pub life I am afraid. Good luck!

Excellent tips, thank you very much!!

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai