Thai Moped Crash Victim Facing £30K Hospital Bill

Boater

best of luck. the english embassy should promot charities for brits in damage abroad.

Sorry Big C,

If for whatever reasons your insurance during your holiday isn't adequate, why should any Embassy get involved in charity events. In my opinion definitely not what Embassies are about or should get involved in. Either make sure that you have adequate insurance and don't participate in activities that an insurance may not cover, like riding motorbikes with a bigger cc volume than your insurance allows or covers.

In my opinion this would be unfortunately something of your own making and I don't see why an Embassy should get involved in any charity funding/raising as you suggest. Just don't see the logic.

best of luck. the english embassy should promot charities for brits in damage abroad.

Sorry Big C,

If for whatever reasons your insurance during your holiday isn't adequate, why should any Embassy get involved in charity events. In my opinion definitely not what Embassies are about or should get involved in. Either make sure that you have adequate insurance and don't participate in activities that an insurance may not cover, like riding motorbikes with a bigger cc volume than your insurance allows or covers.

In my opinion this would be unfortunately something of your own making and I don't see why an Embassy should get involved in any charity funding/raising as you suggest. Just don't see the logic.

Sorry but in the u.k we have 1 of the highest taxes in the world. Yet people are skimming money out of our free benofit system pushing txes even highigher. So tell me good use does having an english passport have wheb british people who really do need help abd cone fron a country that has a. High tax income give the average british citizern who has worked most of their life instead of hanging around the d.s.s every day and drivinbg back abd forth in a car whilst pretebding to be skint

Sorry Big C,

Sorry but in the u.k we have 1 of the highest taxes in the world. Yet people are skimming money out of our free benofit system pushing txes even highigher. So tell me good use does having an english passport have wheb british people who really do need help abd cone fron a country that has a. High tax income give the average british citizern who has worked most of their life instead of hanging around the d.s.s every day and drivinbg back abd forth in a car whilst pretebding to be skint

i would have to agree with BigC here, it would be nice if the UK had a universal healthcare system , or fund available, we all pay high taxes for crap medical care in the UK, and if you travel to spain ect, you are covered under the NHS, something called E34

Sorry Big C,

i would have to agree with BigC here, it would be nice if the UK had a universal healthcare system , or fund available, we all pay high taxes for crap medical care in the UK, and if you travel to spain ect, you are covered under the NHS, something called E34

Getting back on topic I wonder if the young lad qualifies for NHS care bearing in mind he is currently resident in Dubai?

And therefore paying no UK tax or NI.

Food for thought. The real message of this thread is to habe a valid licence for the vehicle you are driving...and insurance which covers you.

Topic or not I would be happier givinng money for u.k people in Thailand via the british embassy than giving money to some random punter on the street who has probably 10 out standing warrents for fruad to his real name

Topic or not I would be happier givinng money for u.k people in Thailand via the british embassy than giving money to some random punter on the street who has probably 10 out standing warrents for fruad to his real name

couldn't agree more with you

Hmmm..I disagree. if other people start to learn that they will get help, no matter which country it happens, they stop insuring themselves.

In this case however, it's a bit misty as why the insurance company didn't help (yet?) but if an insurance company is hesitating there must be something not 100% OK.

In most cases insurers always help their clients if they are in serious trouble, health wise in other countries.

Remains also the very high bill...GBP 30.000 :o and if it's justified; maybe that's the main reason for the insurer to doubt.....who knows?

LaoPo

Edited by LaoPo

Hmmm..I disagree. if other people start to learn that they will get help, no matter which country it happens, they stop insuring themselves.

In this case however, it's a bit misty as why the insurance company didn't help (yet?) but if an insurance company is hesitating there must be something not 100% OK.

In most cases insurers always help their clients if they are in serious trouble, health wise in other countries.

Remains also the very high bill...GBP 30.000 :o and if it's justified; maybe that's the main reason for the insurer to doubt.....who knows?

LaoPo

i don't expect the govement to fully bail people out but help with certain needs. i think that if people are in serious agony then then i don't think they would appricate a lecture on " oh its your fault for not having inssuerence"

anyway sometimes insurrence do not pay. Many because thailand have a reputation of ripping of the companies. so they insssurence companies are looking for small characters in their policies that would bail themselves out.

They have a prisoners abroad charity run by the embassy why cannot have victims abroad charity. every one can get a mimum amint of help based on how much funds are in the bank. Enough to even distibute. or at least offer some load system where the govement can pay or u to get out of hospital using someones house or something as a guarntee back home and monthly repayments.

Because the quicker u can get out the less u have to pay rarther than waiting for large amounts of money to be transfered that can take weeks sometimes 10 days or more.

Anyway people taking advantage or not. i hav e been here along time. i just donate the money then thats my job done.

By the way i do not have imnsserence for the last 9 years. so i am playing a lottery.

Though i have so many bills every month that i just cannot be bothered. Think the taxes are more like;y to kill me anyway !

Getting back on topic I wonder if the young lad qualifies for NHS care bearing in mind he is currently resident in Dubai?

Food for thought. The real message of this thread is to habe a valid licence for the vehicle you are driving...and insurance which covers you.

sorry got confussed because the bill was in pounds.

anyway it is not of topic i is things like this that make people realise that something might be wrong with our system and try to change it

leave the UK for more than 3 months and you loose right to NHS, got my letter last year even though i am still classed as ordinary UK resident as i still own property in UK. read these threads time after time yet peope still travel without insurance which is relativly cheap now days.

leave the UK for more than 3 months and you loose right to NHS, got my letter last year even though i am still classed as ordinary UK resident as i still own property in UK. read these threads time after time yet peope still travel without insurance which is relativly cheap now days.

everything is relatively cheap depending on your own income anyway. All this embassy stuf just remindes my why i leftthe U.K in the first place. They don't really look after their own people at all. Infact the more your look after yourself and pay taxes and work hard. The less u get back out of the country when u need it because of all those scamming basterds coming to our country to scam the system. sorry but this topic is pushing my buttons best off doing an off now.

P.S there is a charity for prisoners abraod run by the embassy. sorte of proves my point. U get more help being a criminal than a victims of an accident

Sorry Big C,

Right on Big C.................those that need it don't get it ! but the 'scammers' get everything.

LaoPo

LaoPo " if an insurance company is hesitating there must be something not 100% OK "...............trouble is mate, insurance companies want 150% OK. so you are wrong there.

"In most cases insurers help their clients"..................that means that you acknowledge that 'most cases' does not mean 'all cases' so back off please and dont be so narrow minded.

Not so long ago an Australian , in terrible pain from a beating by Thai youths, was sent from the Surin area to Bangkok by mini bus(by his insurance company) before he could get attention, to get his passport. On the way back , he died from his beating. He should have been immediately 'casvacted' back to Adelaide but this insurance company was thinking DOLLARS first. He was the grandson of a mate of mine, and his wife was several months pregnant. .................So wrong again.

Unless you know what you are saying, don't say it please.

Edited by oldsailor35

'Most bikes in Thailand are well above the 49 or 50cc that come automatically with an UK license'

This is incorrect you are not allowed to ride any motorbike in the uk including under 50cc/moped unless you have passed the CBT which allows you to ride with L plates until you pass the full test.

Any UK driver who obtained a full car licence before February 1st 2001 is entitled to ride a moped without L plates and without any further test being necessary.

Here's the exclusion clause from the insurance I bought last November:

You are not covered for you motorcycling:

as a rider or passenger on a machine over 125cc

as a rider or passenger on a machine under 125cc unless you wear a crash helmet and, as a rider, you hold a full UK motorcycle licence.

'Most bikes in Thailand are well above the 49 or 50cc that come automatically with an UK license'

This is incorrect you are not allowed to ride any motorbike in the uk including under 50cc/moped unless you have passed the CBT which allows you to ride with L plates until you pass the full test.

Any UK driver who obtained a full car licence before February 1st 2001 is entitled to ride a moped without L plates and without any further test being necessary.

Still with L plates and up to 125cc I believe. One point to note is that you will not be awarded the 'motorbike' stamp on the IDP with this level of entitlement.

totster :D

Still with L plates and up to 125cc I believe. One point to note is that you will not be awarded the 'motorbike' stamp on the IDP with this level of entitlement.

No, a moped is a specifically defined type of motorcycle:

"What is a moped?

A moped is a motorcycle that has the following features:

* maximum design speed not exceeding 50 kilometres per hour (km/h) (about 31 miles per hour (mph)

* an engine capacity no greater than 50 cc

* it can be moved by pedals, if the moped was first used before 1 September 1977"

You can ride a moped on a car licence without L plates or a test as long as you got it before Feb 1 2001.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/LearnerAndNewDrivers/RidingMotorcyclesAndMopeds/DG_10016249

No, a moped is a specifically defined type of motorcycle:

"What is a moped?

A moped is a motorcycle that has the following features:

* maximum design speed not exceeding 50 kilometres per hour (km/h) (about 31 miles per hour (mph)

* an engine capacity no greater than 50 cc

* it can be moved by pedals, if the moped was first used before 1 September 1977"

You can ride a moped on a car licence without L plates or a test as long as you got it before Feb 1 2001.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/LearnerAndNewDrivers/RidingMotorcyclesAndMopeds/DG_10016249

Ok, corrected :jap:

LaoPo

LaoPo " if an insurance company is hesitating there must be something not 100% OK "...............trouble is mate, insurance companies want 150% OK. so you are wrong there.

"In most cases insurers help their clients"..................that means that you acknowledge that 'most cases' does not mean 'all cases' so back off please and dont be so narrow minded.

Not so long ago an Australian , in terrible pain from a beating by Thai youths, was sent from the Surin area to Bangkok by mini bus(by his insurance company) before he could get attention, to get his passport. On the way back , he died from his beating. He should have been immediately 'casvacted' back to Adelaide but this insurance company was thinking DOLLARS first. He was the grandson of a mate of mine, and his wife was several months pregnant. .................So wrong again.

Unless you know what you are saying, don't say it please.

1. I'm so sorry to hear about your friend's grandson; may he RIP. :jap:

2. the "not 100% OK" situation can also be related to the huge bill of the hospital and that the insurance company doesn't want to pay that bill (in full). We simply don't know and there could be many reasons WHY.

No need to attack me personally.

LaoPo

'i don't expect the govement to fully bail people out but help with certain needs. i think that if people are in serious agony then then i don't think they would appricate a lecture on " oh its your fault for not having inssuerence'

Why should the government help? if everyone was like you all the immigrants to the uk would come claim state benefits and go oh hang on we can get more lets have an accident know the doctor and claim claim claim. I've no patience for those with no insurance, I'll lecture all day long thanks, have you got insurance by the way? doubt it.

'i don't expect the govement to fully bail people out but help with certain needs. i think that if people are in serious agony then then i don't think they would appricate a lecture on " oh its your fault for not having inssuerence'

Why should the government help? if everyone was like you all the immigrants to the uk would come claim state benefits and go oh hang on we can get more lets have an accident know the doctor and claim claim claim. I've no patience for those with no insurance, I'll lecture all day long thanks, have you got insurance by the way? doubt it.

there are many sides to the coin. i used to have insserence. i went to the hospital 3 times in 1 year ( prone to food poisoning in those days ) on the 3rd visit. i was told that next time i would have to pay because the department in the hospital did not get the money out of my company for any of my claims. i was lucky they let me out on my 3rd visit.

Is for benifit cheats. if people did cheat the money then it would not be from taxed it would be from donated money. Basically if u don't beleive in it u don't have to give. Maybe i have been here to long but i am giving the impression. like the Thais say " up to u "

I just not understand they have a prisons abroad charity and people don't complain but if i mention a victims of accident charity people start to rave about all sorts o random stuff.

for example the prisons abroad gives each prisoner 2000 baht per month but it is something rarther than nothing. i am not expect the accident charity to bail people out. just help a little. Then i u don't beleive in it then u do not have to give.