UK & French visas for Thai resident in Australia

Hi everybody

I realise the Embassy would be the best solution for this problem, but it always seems I think of things on a Friday afternoon just when the Embassy closes.

My wife is currently holding an Australian 2 year provisional Visa. in her Thai passport. We are both currently living in Australia but we want to visit my relations in England and wondered if she needed to get any kind of additional visa to enter the UK. We will also take a side trip to France, are there any other problems we could encounter?

Thanks in advance

Howard

Edited by Lite Beer
Font changed to the default colour.

The Australian provisional residency visa does not carry any weight in the UK or France. She will need to apply separately for a UK Entry Clearance and a Schengen visa for France. As she is residing legally in Australia, she can apply by post to the British High Commission in Canberra for her UK Entry Clearance. For France, she will need to apply in person to the French Embassy in Canberra or the Greek Consulate-General in Adelaide, Melbourne or Perth (Greece now officially represents France in these cities).

Even after her Australian residency becomes permanent, she will still be a citizen of Thailand and will need a visa to travel to most European and North American countries. Should she elect to take Australian citizenship at some point in the future, that will get her visa exempt entry to the UK, Schengen zone, US and Canada amongst others.

The Australian provisional residency visa does not carry any weight in the UK or France. She will need to apply separately for a UK Entry Clearance and a Schengen visa for France. As she is residing legally in Australia, she can apply by post to the British High Commission in Canberra for her UK Entry Clearance. For France, she will need to apply in person to the French Embassy in Canberra or the Greek Consulate-General in Adelaide, Melbourne or Perth (Greece now officially represents France in these cities).

Even after her Australian residency becomes permanent, she will still be a citizen of Thailand and will need a visa to travel to most European and North American countries. Should she elect to take Australian citizenship at some point in the future, that will get her visa exempt entry to the UK, Schengen zone, US and Canada amongst others.

Thanks for the information KamnanT. I thought as much, but I was hoping that an entry visa into the UK could also be used in the rest of Europe being members of the EEC. I'll check with the relevant Embassies on Monday.

Thanks again