Indian Restaurants

Senia

Lots and lots of Indian Restaurants in Little India, which is located at the end if Chinatown, which is the end of Thanon Yaowarat.Both North and South ,Veg. and non veg. On both sides of Thanon Chakraphet. Though the majority are between Chakhraphet and the Klong.Easy to find, just go for a walk.

• 3 weeks later...

Unblocktheplanet thanks for the tip. Walked past Dosa King yesterday and decided to have lunch there - was very impressed by the staff and the cleanliness as well as the fantastic food. For under 300 baht including a drink I was stuffed to the gills and could barely waddle out of there! Their menu is extensive so I'll have to go back again to try some different dishes next time.

• Like 1

Has anyone else noticed that indian food in Thailand is about as expensive as in the westÉ I mean roti, dhal, chutny and fresh coffe can be had ffor about 40bt in Malaysia. Just ordering nan is like 40bt! Someone is making a killing! Although the SHWARMAS in BKK are resonable at 60bt, they used to be 50bt.

• 1 month later...

Planet Bollywood a bit behind Q-House (Lumpini Park) is pretty good and not too expensive. The best (and cheapest) Indian food I've had is just wandering around Old Siam though - you can find insanely cheap and really good eats, if you can live with less-than-luxurious surroundings.

Must add to this, as an ex 'merikan appreciater of fine vegetarian Indian food (they have non veg too), having tried most of the Sukhumvit places, I can highly recommend the spacious 'Greater Mumbai Punjab' on Soi 13 in the Trendy bldg (it was earlier across the street in Sukhumvit Suites).

They have a daily lavish buffet, but some unusual specialty dishes not found in other similar restaurants (try the crispy Okra or Bitter Gourd!). They stay open late as well!

Easier on the wallet, if ur alone or want to try a greater variety, they will make half portions of most anything also. Judging by the large groups of traveling Indians that head there, it is quite popular already. Unlike most of the places in this neighborhood, the cooks are real high class Indian & not Bangladeshi or Nepali. They do deliver & take-away too. Don't take my word for it, try & see!

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I really like Dosa King on Soi 11/1, though it is South Indian. The thali lunches at Indus on Soi 26 are reasonable and fantastic.

North Indian Cuisine would be Bawarchi (the food is good) in Sukhumvit Soi 11 - Not cheap but reasonable.

North Indian quick bite would be my fav place Indian Chaat in Sukhumvit Soi 23 - Very cheap.

Thanks for these specific recommendations and addresses.

The general recommendations to go to some huge neighborhood and walk around are interesting but useless.

I really like Dosa King on Soi 11/1, though it is South Indian. The thali lunches at Indus on Soi 26 are reasonable and fantastic.

North Indian Cuisine would be Bawarchi (the food is good) in Sukhumvit Soi 11 - Not cheap but reasonable.

North Indian quick bite would be my fav place Indian Chaat in Sukhumvit Soi 23 - Very cheap.

Thanks for these specific recommendations and addresses.

The general recommendations to go to some huge neighborhood and walk around are interesting but useless.

Eh? Huge neighbourhoods? Where? Maybe Sukumvit Road? ,which does run From the end of Ploenchit to Trat. Is that huge? Enough?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Thank you all for the info.

Now I have had an unsated craving for Afghani Chicken that my girlfriend and I used to enjoy at a little place called Mama's Restaurant in Surawong area until it went out of business a few years ago. Any suggestion as to where I can find a restaurant that does justice to this succulent chicken dish would be much appreciated. It's been too long...

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

This place is now ranked as number one restaurant in Bangkok by tripadvisor. As an Indian food lover i decided that i must give it a go, and did so a week or two back. What a thoroughly disappointing experience. The food was incredibly bland and not in the least bit spicy. We ordered our dishes at level 8 heat. Tasted to us more like level 1. But it wasn't just the lack of heat that was the problem. A fundamental lack of taste.

Bland also is a good way to describe the ambience of the place. Very dull. Plus completely empty of customers. Despite this, literally hours after i posted my negative review on tripadvisor, there were a handful of new glowing reviews. When you look at the history of these members, it seems pretty obvious what is going on here. I had heard people before complaining about owners abusing tripadvisor to drum up custom, but this was the first time i have seen it... and the first time i have wasted money thanks to it. No, it wasn't cheap, especially once you have added the obligatory 10% service and 7% tax. Indian restaurants in Khao Sarn are half the price and though still not what i regard as great Indian food, ten times better than this.

• Like 1

Unblocktheplanet thanks for the tip. Walked past Dosa King yesterday and decided to have lunch there - was very impressed by the staff and the cleanliness as well as the fantastic food. For under 300 baht including a drink I was stuffed to the gills and could barely waddle out of there! Their menu is extensive so I'll have to go back again to try some different dishes next time.

Excellent what beers are on offer and how much is the wine??

There is Namuskaara, on the little side street on the left, Soi 8 Sukhumvit. Prices are typical for the area but the food is top notch. I don't think you can get good, cheap indian food on Sukhumvit but I could be wrong. I know two places that are pretty good and only 30-50 baht per meal but you have to go very far out of town.

This place is now ranked as number one restaurant in Bangkok by tripadvisor. As an Indian food lover i decided that i must give it a go, and did so a week or two back. What a thoroughly disappointing experience. The food was incredibly bland and not in the least bit spicy. We ordered our dishes at level 8 heat. Tasted to us more like level 1. But it wasn't just the lack of heat that was the problem. A fundamental lack of taste.

Bland also is a good way to describe the ambience of the place. Very dull. Plus completely empty of customers. Despite this, literally hours after i posted my negative review on tripadvisor, there were a handful of new glowing reviews. When you look at the history of these members, it seems pretty obvious what is going on here. I had heard people before complaining about owners abusing tripadvisor to drum up custom, but this was the first time i have seen it... and the first time i have wasted money thanks to it. No, it wasn't cheap, especially once you have added the obligatory 10% service and 7% tax. Indian restaurants in Khao Sarn are half the price and though still not what i regard as great Indian food, ten times better than this.

Seems that the vote rigging happens on TV as well. If you check out SurajBangkok's posts he jumped in pretty quick on this and another Indian food thread, accusing another member of vested interests in certain areas, and jumped back out again.

A one month wonder contributor.

Seems that the vote rigging happens on TV as well. If you check out SurajBangkok's posts he jumped in pretty quick on this and another Indian food thread, accusing another member of vested interests in certain areas, and jumped back out again.

A one month wonder contributor.

Yes now i look, you are quite right. Out of 8 posts, three manage to get a mention in of the restaurant. With how organised and efficiently he spams on tripadvisor, i guess it should come as no surprise.

Place on Soi 23 is almost always empty, and the menu is bog-standard. Have never really thought of giving it a shot and never will now.

Wise decision. I felt thoroughly cheated having gone out of my way to visit the place, thanks purely to what i now know to be phoney internet marketing. Makes me angry as people like him, ruin sites like tripadvisor.

Inform them, they won't be happy too.

I have, as have quite a few other members, but i guess the problem is, unless you have actually been to the restaurant and experienced it, how would you know that we are the ones telling the truth. We could be an envious competitor. We aren't, but difficult for them i think to judge in cases like this. I wish they would find a way though because things like this completely ruin the whole purpose of the site.

It's a shame. Without hijacking the topic, the on-line hotel industry has gone the same way. You used to get 1 or 2 star hotels and then everything got bumped up to 3 stars at least with the on-line booking sites. They take advantage of global consumers who can't do local research prior to commitment.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

For northern Indian food try the Royal India opposite the Sikh temple in Chinatown/Little India. What it lacks in atmosphere it makes up for in taste..,

for selfish reason, I try not to advertise this one too much :P

but it is the BEST indian food Ive had in Bangkok.

Ive not been around as long, but they have been there for 30 years, possibly more :)

For very no-frills food, and if you are in the Sapaan Kwaii area, check-out Abu Ibrahim restaurant on Pradipat road, not far from the sky train station. Owners I believe are Thai-Bangladeshi and they do a mish mash of South Asian stuff. Not the greatest Indian but reasonably priced and the restaurant itself is clean, air-con, etc.