Can A 30 Day Stamp Be Extended With 14Days For Free?

I'm in Kho Chang at the moment. I met a German neighbour in the guesthouse where I stay and he told me it is possible to get another 14 day stamp upon my 30 day stamp in my passport. He told me to go to the immigration Bureau close to the pier at Centerpoint and they will add up another 14 days and it is even free.

I have many doubts regarding his story, because things like that are not for free in general.

Is this true? If so, is it really free.

I can of course just to a visa run to Cambodia, but that's of course about 1200 baht.

In case I can get another 14 days, is the immigration bureau open on Sundays?

Thanks for any help.

I will be in a similar situation where I get a 30 day visa upon entry to Thailand and want to stay one week in Bangkok and then take a 30 condo rental in Pattaya or Hua Hin to take advantage of the rates for monthly rentals. Can I just go to Immigration in Jomtien or Hua Hin area and request an extension without the need to do a border run? If yes, how long of an extension will they grant and what documentation is required? I am a US citizen if that makes a difference in entitlements. A response one of the earlier posts indicated 7 days and 1,900 Baht is available and I would like to know if that is pretty much automatic or is there much potential for a decline.

Thanks.

It is not automatic as not a real extension but a time under review so often they will require show of outbound ticket. You may also not be allowed on flight with such a plan - much better to obtain a tourist visa prior to travel. The 30 day you speak of is not a visa and requires onward travel without 30 days.

It is not automatic as not a real extension but a time under review so often they will require show of outbound ticket. You may also not be allowed on flight with such a plan - much better to obtain a tourist visa prior to travel. The 30 day you speak of is not a visa and requires onward travel without 30 days.

Lopburi3,

I live in the middle east and called the Thai Embassy. A lot of paperwork required including lettters from employer, etc. which I will not be able to obtain. I thought the regular 90 tourist visa would be simple but it is not and my time is short before departure. If obtaining an extension to a 30 day entry at the airport is not easy then I may have to book a departure within 30 days and then do a visa run and change tickets later.

You mention the 30 day stamp at the airport is not really a visa so does this make it more difficult to obtain an extension? I was hoping I can book the expecting timing for my travel and then do the necessary once in Thailand.

Thanks for the info.

Qman

You cannot extend a visa exempt entry, at the most hey will give you 7 days if you can show a ticket out of the county in 7 days.

For a visa exempt entry a ticket out of the country is enough. You could go to Vientianne or Penang to get a tourist visa for 60 days, which can be extended by 30 days for 1,900 baht.

Why would you need a letter from your employer to get a tourist visa ?

I asked the same question and was told that is a requirement without further explanation and agree it makes little sense sinc this is a personal trip rather than business. I will now go in person and see if things are different as this seems like a simple case of wanting a visa to stay a short time.