Is There An Indonesian Supermarket In Bangkok?

nkahl6

Does anybody know where I can buy indonesian groceries? I want to cook some of my Oma's recipes, but am not sure about where I can get some of the ingredients. If I can't get it in BKK, can anybody recommend a website where I could buy online?

Specifically I am looking for:

Laos(Galangal Powder)

Coconut milk block

Terassi (block) (shrimp paste)

Kemiri (candlenut)

Thanks!

Have you considered substituting where possible?

Fresh galangal is readily available in every Thai supermarket. Grate it and use a bit less than you would of the dried version.

For the solid coconut cream, use coconut milk (again available from every supermarket). Let it stand in the fridge in a bowl for a few hours, then scoop off the thick stuff on top. Reduce the other liquid in your recipe to compensate.

For shrimp paste, use the local Thai version. It's not quite as strong as belanchan (I'm guessing that's the same as terassi), but it's pretty close. Again, from any supermarket.

And as for candlenut, you can sometimes find them in local markets - particularly those with a Moslem section, but I find that raw cashewnuts are a reasonable alternative.

• 1 month later...

Fresh galangal is readily available in every Thai supermarket. Grate it and use a bit less than you would of the dried version.

For the solid coconut cream, use coconut milk (again available from every supermarket). Let it stand in the fridge in a bowl for a few hours, then scoop off the thick stuff on top. Reduce the other liquid in your recipe to compensate.

For shrimp paste, use the local Thai version. It's not quite as strong as belanchan (I'm guessing that's the same as terassi), but it's pretty close. Again, from any supermarket.

And as for candlenut, you can sometimes find them in local markets - particularly those with a Moslem section, but I find that raw cashewnuts are a reasonable alternative.

The item u may have a problem is kemiri

I have some kemiri at home

am willing to share

if u want u can join warung de bangkok on facebook

indonesian food site on facebook

join and see

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...

The item u may have a problem is kemiri

I have some kemiri at home

am willing to share

if u want u can join warung de bangkok on facebook

indonesian food site on facebook

join and see

Hi there! I looked for the facebook page but couldn't find it...did they move?

Also I like to purchase kemiri from you. Please let me know how to contact with you.