New Simple Jailbreak Now Available For Iphone And Ipad

TheLaughingMan

Tominbkk just told me about this and it worked great, jailbroke my ipad and iphone 4 on 4.2.1. The old jailbreak was tethered which means if you reset your device it wouldnt boot up unless you plugged into your pc and rebooted using the old jailbreak. Bit of a problem if you randomly crash on the road away from a pc. Now that is no longer a worry with the new greenpoison. Just go to iclarified and follow the links to jailbreak your device, very easy. Jailbreaking is not illegal fyi to any overzealous mods misunderstanding this post k thanks bye.

The way I understand it is there are different5 ways to jailbreak the iphone.It depends what model ya have.

No not model, it depends on your firmware. If you insist on using an old outdated firmware then there are other ways. But if like 99% of the world you want the latest firmware on your iphone/ipad then you need THIS way, the green poison way. The only other way to jailbreak the latest firmware (4.2.1) is a tethered jailbreak which is a hassle since like I said you cant even turn off your iphone/ipad or you break the jailbreak and need to connect to your pc to reboot with the jailbreak. This new jailbreak fixes that problem.

If you insist on using an old outdated firmware then there are other ways. But if like 99% of the world you want the latest firmware on your iphone/ipad then you need THIS way, the green poison way.

Dude, you really need to lay off the brainwashed rhetoric. The 'latest firmware' usually adds nothing to the user experience. It is released so that Apple can close an exploit that's being used by phone hackers (to bring you stuff like an unlock or the jailbreak you're so excited about).

Eh? I wouldnt have said it if I and a zillion others didn't like what the latest upgrades had to offer. I spent 4 years NOT upgrading until the appropriate jailbreak AND unfortunately unlock was out, since I stupidly bought an original iphone from the states all that time ago. Now I've got an ipad and iphone 4. If its possible to upgrade and get very good updates easily then why the hell would you not?! Im not brainwashed lol, just seems like common sense to me. Why on earth are you taking the time to say this? Jesus, just letting people know about a super easy way to get all the goodies and still retain control of their devices, sorry for offending you to the point you just had to say something. Asshat.

Why on earth are you taking the time to say this?

Why don't you take the time to inform yourself properly before writing a bunch of meaningless gibberish and calling people names like an eight year old?

I don't take issue with your post generally which is both informative and helpful. I take issue with the implication in your sales pitch that people who "insist on using an old outdated firmware" are missing out on some kind of firmware utopia where all the catastrophic mistakes made in that "old outdated firmware" (which worked perfectly well last week and will most likely work without any issues whatsoever for years to come) are corrected. And no, I'm not talking about firmware that's years old, I'm talking about recent firmware that has had the opportunity (from a developers point of view) to be tested by thousands of users who give feedback to the community and allow all the bugs to be ironed out (in relation to jailbreaking and unlocking). The simple fact is that your "common sense" view is wrong. Most of the time Apple are not releasing new firmware because it's 'better.' They are releasing it in a cynical attempt to maintain their control over a product that no longer even belongs to them.

It is simply irresponsible to advocate a position where someone should jump on the latest firmware simply because it is "the latest firmware." Have you read the community forums? They are littered with people with just that brainless mindset boo-hooing that they updated the firmware only to render their phones utterly useless, sometimes for months. Not to mention all the people with 3Gs (many of whom had never even heard of jailbreaking or unlocking, but were just regular phone users with blind faith in Apple's claim that the new firmware was "the world's most advanced mobile operating system") who updated to iOS 4 only to find their phones were virtually unusable. And if Apple had their way, they would not have been able to even revert to the "old outdated firmware" that allowed their phones to work properly.

Apple doesn't care about you or making your user experience better. Apple cares about you in the same way that a wolf cares about a sheep.

Jesus you're putting a lot of effort into this. We aren't talking about a brand new firmware though are we? We are talking about a brand new jailbreak for an update released quite a while ago. So yes it is pretty good news to have that jailbreak, not good news about the most recent update, thats old news and the previous jailbreak was a hassle keeping most people from updating, now its not a problem. All this rage because of one line encouraging people to use the new update now that the jailbreak is super easy?! :blink:

And for your information the last update was a fuc_king HUGE update for the ipad. It added folders and multitasking and a single group inbox for email. HUGE IMPROVEMENT. If people were reluctant to update because there wasnt a simple jailbreak then now they can do it worry free, they will be extremely happy. Why would you stay on an old firmware out of stubborness when the new one adds so much more functionality?! You are being ridiculous.

You've made references in your posts to "old outdated firmware" and "99% of the world (wanting) the latest firmware on (their) iphone/ipad" (where did you get this statistic by the way?). You're clearly advocating that people mindlessly update their firmware immediately, simply because it's "the latest firmware," so don't now try and pretend that this is all about "an update released quite a while ago."

Anyway, I don't give a hoot about what you do and I'm certainly not in a "rage" (no idea where you're getting this from). You seem (like most people who don't like it when anyone disagrees with them) to believe that this is some kind of personal attack on you. It's not about you. It's about encouraging people to make an informed choice instead of potentially fuc_king up their phones because of Apple's greed.

Sorry to interupt your spat boys... but what benefits will unlocking / jail-breaking a 3gs bring? (just got given one)

Cheers.

lol - no problem. It's becoming fairly tedious anyway.

Unlocking will allow your phone to work (assuming it's locked - you'll need to jailbreak first to unlock). Jailbreaking will allow you to actually use your phone as if it belonged to you rather than having to go begging to Apple at its shitty itunes store to pay for some rubbish they have deemed to be acceptable within the framework of their scatmunching corporate philosophy. It also gives you root, which is nice if you're a tecchy.

Where do I advocate mindlessly updating to every single new software? This is what you WANTED to read but that is not what I said, you obviously have this argument with other people and want me to fit in this profile which I don't. This entire thread was about how great the new jailbreak is since the last jb sucked ass and the update is significant making this jb extremely valuable. Its all about this jailbreak with this update. You are the one that wanted it to be about something else.... obviously what you do for kicks. Which is why I questioned why you were talking about this when this jailbreak for this update is in fact full of awesome, I could care less about previous updates and previous jailbreaks although it seems really important to you! :blink:

Where do I advocate mindlessly updating to every single new software?

"But if like 99% of the world you want the latest firmware on your iphone/ipad"

I obviously misinterpreted the comment "you want the latest firmware" to mean wanting the latest firmware for no other reason than it is the latest firmware (since you don't give any other reason).

Also see my comment: "I don't take issue with your post generally which is both informative and helpful."

Ya I meant the latest firmware meaning THIS latest firmware which is one of the best theyve ever released. Im fully aware of the crap updates that apple releases that I myself do not update to and just skip to the next good firmware release. But dude you take this shit seriously! :lol: And you probably mistook me for an advocate (fanboy) of apple and Im totally the opposite, they make great products but they are nazis that need a constant lesson from the hackers to keep them in their place.

Ya I meant the latest firmware meaning THIS latest firmware which is one of the best theyve ever released. Im fully aware of the crap updates that apple releases that I myself do not update to and just skip to the next good firmware release. But dude you take this shit seriously! :lol: And you probably mistook me for an advocate (fanboy) of apple and Im totally the opposite, they make great products but they are nazis that need a constant lesson from the hackers to keep them in their place.

Good stuff. Glad to hear it.

What do you like about 4.2.1 in particular (in relation to the iPhone)? Is it really worth the effort of updating from 4.1? Most people I've spoken to have said it isn't. Have you had any issues with the JB? Battery, push, Cydia, Facetime, GPS issues etc?

Actually Im not too savvy about the iphone in relation to this update, I had the original model for 4 years which could not up date to 4.2.1 so when I recently bought the iphone 4 it came with the update already and I didnt jailbreak it because I was already having a headache with my jailbroken ipad on 4.2.1. (if it crashes or you turn it off or simply run out of power you need to boot tethered with the jailbreak again, pain if you are on the road) But as you can imagine, going from that old model with fairly old firmware to the iphone 4 with the latest firmware was like going from walking to driving a mercedes. What I like though that is unique to this update is folders, multitasking and group inbox all great things that were needed 4 years ago.

However for the ipad, it definately WAS worth it even with the headache of the tethered jailbreak just so I could use the latest firmware. Those folders were a godsend, I had too many apps to fit on the 11 pages that you can only use, so the folders not only organised all my apps but also allowed me to fit them all on my ipad where before I could not. The multitasking too was much needed and the group inbox has made my life a lot easier, it was a hassle being tethered jailbroken but now thats just a bad memory. I work alot on the ipad so the update means a lot more to me there than on the iphone.

There is no effort to update to 4.2.1 now, as for things working right they all seem ok, no issues here on either device.

Unlocking will allow your phone to work (assuming it's locked - you'll need to jailbreak first to unlock). Jailbreaking will allow you to actually use your phone as if it belonged to you rather than having to go begging to Apple at its shitty itunes store to pay for some rubbish they have deemed to be acceptable within the framework of their scatmunching corporate philosophy. It also gives you root, which is nice if you're a tecchy.

:thumbsup::cheesy: You made my day;so true

I used this new greenpoison jailbreak and it worked great on my 3gs. I had been trying to JB using redsnow for a couple of months without success. Let me say that their is a huge learning curve to figure out which JB method to use (based on your firmware and model of your phone) and learning how to get your phone in the proper mode (DFU) to apply the JB. This JB worked the first time on my phone and now it is JB and unlocked and working perfectly. Unfortunatly I lost a bunch of stuff somewhere along the way that I am still trying to figure out how to recover from my backup (be sure to back up before you do anything)

I attempted to use the greenpoison JB on my wife's 3gs (4.2.0.1) and it wouldn't work until I ran the redsnow JB first and then it also worked perfectly. Her phone came away unlocked with all of her apps and data intact and I have no clue why mine didn't.

I can't count the times I was ready to throw these iphones into the pool during this process, but it's also hard to describe the feeling of making it work and beating apple/ATT. I was under the impression when I bought these phones that if we setled up with ATT/Apple when we moved back to Thailand than they would give us the unlock codes so that we could use them here. After all we have certainly paid far more than if we would have purchased unlocked phones in the first place (which we would recomend to anyone thinking of getting a iphone/ipad.)

In our case the only choice was to JB/unlock in order to be able to use the phones and there are some addidional advantages like being able to use the phone as a wi-fi for our laptop when in the country.

good luck if you go this route.

jailbreaking is a science and that's exactly how Apple likes it... I think iClarified usually has an updated guide where you can get the JB you need using your model number, baseband version number, and firmware version number.

But at times JBs only worked or didn't work if you first had used another JB - it was bizarre. Anyway, 4.1 was the last major release with any new features, I suppose the next one to watch out for will be 5.0 / 5.1 which is the one where they fix all the 5.0 bugs...

Nice to see you guys making up. Sweet.

Everyone loves a happy ending.

I guess the answer to my question is "NO, but will this work on a 3rd gen iPod touch running that "testy" 4.2.1 firmware? Does jailbreaking delete all your music/apps?

Any points in the right direction much appreciated. Thanks

The answer is yes (apparently - don't come crying to me if you brick your device). See here.

Jailbreaking shouldn't affect apps or music, but if you're all synced up this shouldn't be an issue.

How you getting on with the music stuff btw? Still enjoying the world of FLAC?

Back on track, there is a very common error during the restore process, documented very well on the web. I performed this upgrade tonight and here is my experience.

1. It took 5 hours!

2. iPhone 4 factory unlock, 4.1

3. I did a clean upgrade thru iTunes to 4.21, then it wouldn't upgrade because of 2 different errors, 1013 and 21. If either happens, restore it from a different computer running iTunes, then switch back to your main computer that you normally sync with and restore from your backup.

4. It was a pain reinstalling Cydia (<deleted>, this part should have been easy right?). Cydia is not installed with greenpois0n but it has a loader that installs for you and I had to try that 4 times before it was successful.

Ok, so it is not the easiest and simplest, but it works. I have had a factory locked 3G and now a factory unlocked iPhone 4, and have done this jailbreaking process probably a dozen times. It seems to be getting a little trickier each time, meaning that it throws up more errors now than a couple of years ago. I think that this is due to the cat and mouse nature of the jailbreaking development process.

Edited by floridaguy

Hmmm I dont mean to doubt your ability but did you follow the step by step EXACTLY at iclarified for greenpoison? Whenever I read problems like this I always assume they are messing up a step or skipping one. Forgive me if Im way off base. I followed the tutorial and jb my iphone 4 and ipad on the latest firmware without any problems. And it took all of 5 minutes.

The part that amuses me is that people actually buy a very expensive device that they then have to "jailbreak" like you are some knind of thief... Why not let Apple know what you think of their locked-up system by not purchasing their stuff?

I would never buy a locked product, from Apple or anybody else... Why not make the truly free choice and go for an Android based smartphone? :ph34r:

The part that amuses me is that people actually buy a very expensive device that they then have to "jailbreak" like you are some knind of thief... Why not let Apple know what you think of their locked-up system by not purchasing their stuff?

I would never buy a locked product, from Apple or anybody else... Why not make the truly free choice and go for an Android based smartphone? :ph34r:

I jailbreak my iPhones because jailbroken, they can do so much more than an Android phone without the worry of being hacked or hijacked. Same basic premise of adding a performance chip, upgraded spark pugs, cat back exhausts, aftermarket air filters, etc in your car, or adding RAM to your PC, etc. Most of the things that we do to our possessions carry the risk of voiding warranties, but we still do it to gain much more functionality and performance out of the products that we own.

Hmmm I dont mean to doubt your ability but did you follow the step by step EXACTLY at iclarified for greenpoison? Whenever I read problems like this I always assume they are messing up a step or skipping one. Forgive me if Im way off base. I followed the tutorial and jb my iphone 4 and ipad on the latest firmware without any problems. And it took all of 5 minutes.

Actually, these things can be a little touchy based on your machine. I went thru the process 3 time. It would never complete on my Acer laptop, but went off without a hitch on my hand built desktop.