Formula 1 In 2011

wackysleet

It's ok Rix, we're between races :lol:

Thanks Mosha. Yeah, it does get a bit quiet between races sometimes, doesn't it. Perhaps we should decide upon different topics of discussion for each of the F1 breaks throughout the year, just to keep everyone's interest up. Gardening? Stamp collecting? Train spotting? biggrin.gif

Or, perhaps we could just throw some questions out there. I'll give it a go... who is the best F1 driver of all time, in your opinion? Answers on a postcard please.

• Replies 380
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thanks Mosha. Yeah, it does get a bit quiet between races sometimes, doesn't it. Perhaps we should decide upon different topics of discussion for each of the F1 breaks throughout the year, just to keep everyone's interest up. Gardening? Stamp collecting? Train spotting? biggrin.gif

Or, perhaps we could just throw some questions out there. I'll give it a go... who is the best F1 driver of all time, in your opinion? Answers on a postcard please.

You can only be the best of your era in reality. It seems that amongst the top retired drivers the feeling is very much Senna and/or Jim Clark.

Senna in the wet at Donnington in '93 was possibly the greatest "exhibition" of driving i've ever seen. I've never seen such dominance in a car that had no business winning races, and the first lap was the greatest lap i've ever seen.

You can only be the best of your era in reality. It seems that amongst the top retired drivers the feeling is very much Senna and/or Jim Clark.

Senna in the wet at Donnington in '93 was possibly the greatest "exhibition" of driving i've ever seen. I've never seen such dominance in a car that had no business winning races, and the first lap was the greatest lap i've ever seen.

Very true, the bit about only being the best in your era. Current era, one would have to say, begrudgingly, Schumacher. Senna's career was i think stopped too short to be able to make a definitive judgement. Funnily enough, whilst Senna's was too short, Schumi's may prove too long - he may actually be doing some damage to his legacy and to how he is ultimately viewed years from now. I would say that is a shame.... but i don't care.

As far as the view of retired drivers and experts goes, i always thought that Fangio was the first off their lips. I've read a lot about him but it's a little hard to relate to as it's such along time ago when things were so different in racing.

Good idea! Nobody will be suprised to hear that my 'best of all time' is Schumi...... but, Carmine is right - comparing different eras is pointless.

Meanwhile, I'm more than happy to discuss gardening :)! Funny but true.....

Very true, the bit about only being the best in your era. Current era, one would have to say, begrudgingly, Schumacher. Senna's career was i think stopped too short to be able to make a definitive judgement. Funnily enough, whilst Senna's was too short, Schumi's may prove too long - he may actually be doing some damage to his legacy and to how he is ultimately viewed years from now. I would say that is a shame.... but i don't care.

As far as the view of retired drivers and experts goes, i always thought that Fangio was the first off their lips. I've read a lot about him but it's a little hard to relate to as it's such along time ago when things were so different in racing.

We crossed posts, but I agree with the bit about Fangio. Even though he was before my time, its obvious that he was a great driver from his era.

The other bit though (about Schumi), I disagree. Nothing can change his legacy and statistics, its a shame that his come-back so far has been disappointing, but it proves his love of the sport. As a fanatic for so long I don't begrudge him enjoying himself and am sure he will leave as soon as he thinks he cannot compete with the top-runners, as it will no longer be any fun for such a competitive person.

I was just back there and have to say i love it... for a holiday anyway.

Gorgeous weather, pub gardens, pints, roast dinners, clean air, no traffic jams, quality TV, respectful driving, queueing without pushing in....

I know that living and working there would be a different story, but if i was rich enough i'd definitely split my time between here and there.

People seem to love trash talking the UK. Myself, i just don't get it. Sure, it's not perfect. And where is?

Sorry, terribly off topic.

Cheers Rix, horses for courses and all that.

Perhaps my mind is poisoned by the memories I have when I was leaving school, trying to make a go of things in Yorkshire, at the same time as the Miners Strike was kicking off.

It was such a depressing time of my life....I spent weeks and weeks walking around Industrial areas knocking on doors for work....nothing. I ended up giving leaflets out for 5 pounds a day.

I did eventually get " a job ", but by this time I was approaching 20, although to get into a position to qualify for this job was only accomplished by many weekends of unpaid work.

But the damage was done. I earnt some money, learnt a trade and " got the hell outta there ".

Never looked back since and have no plan to go back there either. Sure things have changed, including myself, but I now see that the grass is far greener here on the other side :)

Cheers.

Edited by soihok

Remember the electronic Ali v Marciano fights? I wonder if given the technology a similar thing could be done in F1, but put the champions in a car from a certain era?

(ps I was back home the year after the London bombing. One of the bombers was from the edge of my village. The atmosphere in town felt awful.)

We crossed posts, but I agree with the bit about Fangio. Even though he was before my time, its obvious that he was a great driver from his era.

The other bit though (about Schumi), I disagree. Nothing can change his legacy and statistics, its a shame that his come-back so far has been disappointing, but it proves his love of the sport. As a fanatic for so long I don't begrudge him enjoying himself and am sure he will leave as soon as he thinks he cannot compete with the top-runners, as it will no longer be any fun for such a competitive person.

Its accepted that Fangio was the greatest of his generation but regards the best of the best its impossible to say as his time was so long ago. Apart from a few very old men, who actually saw him race? Secondly it was a totlly different, non comparible sport to nowadays.

Schumacher was the best of his generation but all too flawed as were a few of his championships. Add to that a car that did'nt break down in over forty races with the whole team built around him and his teamate not allowed to beat him. Thats why he'll never be considered the greatest. That said, his dominance in the wet was unquestioned and that alone set him apart from the others in his generation.

For me, his legacy includes takng out Villeneuve and Hill (to win his first title when he should have been disqualified) which were both disgraceful. I also seem to remember an appalling piece of driving recently involving i believe Barrichello. Very much a flawed genius, and he should never have had that personality bypass operation.

Its accepted that Fangio was the greatest of his generation but regards the best of the best its impossible to say as his time was so long ago. Apart from a few very old men, who actually saw him race? Secondly it was a totlly different, non comparible sport to nowadays.

Schumacher was the best of his generation but all too flawed as were a few of his championships. Add to that a car that did'nt break down in over forty races with the whole team built around him and his teamate not allowed to beat him. Thats why he'll never be considered the greatest. That said, his dominance in the wet was unquestioned and that alone set him apart from the others in his generation.

For me, his legacy includes takng out Villeneuve and Hill (to win his first title when he should have been disqualified) which were both disgraceful. I also seem to remember an appalling piece of driving recently involving i believe Barrichello. Very much a flawed genius, and he should never have had that personality bypass operation.

You're forgetting that Schumi moved to Ferrari when they were in a pitiful state, and brought with him others that, between them, turned Ferrari round, so it is hardly suprising that the car was built around him. It was the new 'teams'' effort that turned the dog of a Ferrari into a masterpiece of engineering that went so many races without a breakdown!

It also needs to be remembered that Schumi was at 'the top of his game' at the time - his team mates were unable to match him so its (again) hardly suprising that he was the undisputed number 1 driver in the team.

I agree though, that the couple of times a team mate actually was told to let him pass - it was unforgivable. These did not affect the WDC, it was just a stupid mistake made by the rest of the team (not Schumi) who knew that he was their 'great hope' of winning the WDC and made stupid decisions way too early in the season.

For these reasons (and others) I disagree entirely that "he'll never be considered the greatest". IMO he will always be considered one of the greatest although, for the reasons discussed, most of us agree that its impossible to agree on 'The greatest'.

That had to be the most boring qualifying in the history of F1.

These days i find qualifying usually is. All the excitement is squeezed into the last 4 minutes or so, when all the top drivers are putting in their quick laps at exactly the same time, so rather than being able to follow a lot of them almost round their entire lap individually, you get to see one driver who the producer has a hard on for, and the rest, well you just see them come round the final corner and cross the line.

All the tinkering the FIA has done just hasn't worked. Should go back to the simple. Give the drivers one hour and 12 laps or so, and let them get on with it. Least then we'd get a chance to actually follow a decent number of drivers on their hot laps.

The last 10 laps or so were quite interesting watching Vettel and Hamilton sprint to the line, avoiding back markers on the way.

It was a good end to a boring race. Lewis tried but it was plain to see that Sebastian was quicker everwhere other than on the straight.

Steve Slater is annoying, what a geek.

The adverts are also a pain. The teams, drivers and cars are so refined that there is little action really. Less than 4 seconds to change tyres, unbelievable really.

I didn't see it, we went out to our favourite eating spot. One noted comment from qualifying was the attendance, and the cost of tickets. They failed to follow through with who might be to blame for this expense. I have my suspicions :rolleyes:

Edited by Mosha

The last 10 laps or so were quite interesting watching Vettel and Hamilton sprint to the line, avoiding back markers on the way.

It was a good end to a boring race. Lewis tried but it was plain to see that Sebastian was quicker everwhere other than on the straight.

Steve Slater is annoying, what a geek.

The adverts are also a pain. The teams, drivers and cars are so refined that there is little action really. Less than 4 seconds to change tyres, unbelievable really.

I thought it was generally quite an interesting race but the dominance of RBR and McLaren is worrying! How the hell can the top 4 runners lap everyone else??

Alonso did his best, but it became clear later in the race (on the harder tyres?) that Ferrari were no match for the other two teams. At least they're the 'best of the rest'....

Vettel and Hami look as if they could turn into a Schumi/Mika competition this season. Yes, Vettel was quicker in the corners, but Hami was quicker on the straight - so no clear advantage.

I'm seriously beginning to think though that DRS is an unwanted advantage to a 'following' car - the tyres make the race interesting enough.

you get to see one driver who the producer has a hard on for,

I made this comment in reference to qualifying, but it is of course equally a problem that exists on race day. No more so i think than this Sunday just gone when for large parts of the race, it might have well been called the Alonso Grand Prix, rather than the Spanish. Funnily enough though, no footage of him being lapped. wink.gif

Incidentally, I see the BBC have just won a Bafta for their coverage of F1. Well deserved and i really do miss it.

Well as someone who doesn't like Monaco. Up to the red flag that was a great race. Why oh why were the allowed to change tyres? Pleased that Petrov wasn't more serious. I thought the stewards would have used a bit of common. However the 1st call tied their hands.

Yeah I agree.

I really enjoyed that up to the red flag also, then fell asleep during the restart ( well I have been up since watching the Barca v Manure game, with 12 hours of underground work in the middle ).

I thought Button was going to win.

There was some outrageous overtaking and fantastic camera views from inside the cars,....great.

Being in front is always a huge advantage in Monaco, even with a slower car. So chances are the result would have been the same, but we will never know.

We know, however, that the red flag took away a great finale with a lot of attacks from Alonso and Jensen. As Alonso said in the press conference, he would have taken more risks because basically he has nothing to lose. Did he already give up his hopes for a title?

I found the penalties given by the marshals to both Di Resta and Hamilton, too harsh and counter-productive. Why make all kind of rules to facilitate overtaking and then, when someone tries just that, punish him? OK, the Loews corner is a very tricky corner where cars often have understeer, which makes it very difficult for an overtaking maneuver inside, but - hey - that's racing!

Being in front is always a huge advantage in Monaco, even with a slower car. So chances are the result would have been the same, but we will never know.

We know, however, that the red flag took away a great finale with a lot of attacks from Alonso and Jensen. As Alonso said in the press conference, he would have taken more risks because basically he has nothing to lose. Did he already give up his hopes for a title?

I found the penalties given by the marshals to both Di Resta and Hamilton, too harsh and counter-productive. Why make all kind of rules to facilitate overtaking and then, when someone tries just that, punish him? OK, the Loews corner is a very tricky corner where cars often have understeer, which makes it very difficult for an overtaking maneuver inside, but - hey - that's racing!

I think that there is a big difference between racing and being a prize prat that thinks all the monkeys should get out of his way and let him do what he wants.

As for the penalties imposed just ask yourself why, obviously if someone is incapable of learning from his mistakes then they will get progressively harsher and of course it does not help if you perceive all of your problems are caused by fricking idiots, another week where it's someone else's fault, Shumacher,Torro Rosso, Massa,Maldonado and even his own team get blamed.

The man is only happy when he is in the best car on the grid which has only happened in his first two years where he did well and I for one supported him but stopped after the monkey statement and as for the posters on here that talk about Alonso throwing his toys out of the pram are very quiet about Lewis and his continual weekly bitching, he is not as good as he thinks, a lot of drivers are capable of winning the WDC if they were in the best car on the grid and since his first couple of seasons he has hardly set Formula 1 alight.

Anyone on here that thinks the racist remark was a joke has obviously never met the egotistical little shit, I hope that he gets a severe penalty and perhaps he can get back to doing what he's paid to do, ie, drive a car. Rant over and now I expect all the Lewis blinkered supporters to come out of the woodwork.

By the way I can only think of two recent WDCs that won without driving the best car on the grid, Michael and Fernando.

Explain that to Massa and Maldonado plse.

Yermanee

I think that there is a big difference between racing and being a prize prat that thinks all the monkeys should get out of his way and let him do what he wants.

As for the penalties imposed just ask yourself why, obviously if someone is incapable of learning from his mistakes then they will get progressively harsher and of course it does not help if you perceive all of your problems are caused by fricking idiots, another week where it's someone else's fault, Shumacher,Torro Rosso, Massa,Maldonado and even his own team get blamed.

The man is only happy when he is in the best car on the grid which has only happened in his first two years where he did well and I for one supported him but stopped after the monkey statement and as for the posters on here that talk about Alonso throwing his toys out of the pram are very quiet about Lewis and his continual weekly bitching, he is not as good as he thinks, a lot of drivers are capable of winning the WDC if they were in the best car on the grid and since his first couple of seasons he has hardly set Formula 1 alight.

Anyone on here that thinks the racist remark was a joke has obviously never met the egotistical little shit, I hope that he gets a severe penalty and perhaps he can get back to doing what he's paid to do, ie, drive a car. Rant over and now I expect all the Lewis blinkered supporters to come out of the woodwork.

By the way I can only think of two recent WDCs that won without driving the best car on the grid, Michael and Fernando.

I agree entirely.

IMO the penalties were entirely justified. Lewis was overly optimistic at best (coming from too far behind at the apex to 'guarantee' an effective overtake) and as a result both Massa and Maldonado crashed and lost any chance of gaining points.

Personally, I think he should have been DQ'd from the race after the incident with Maldonado, not just handed a 20 second penalty after the race that did not affect him or the points he had gained after causing two accidents.

He drove like an idiot in Monaco largely as a result (I think) of not having to 'come up' through the 'little' teams. Consequently he genuinely believes that the slower drivers should just get out of his way. If he had been in their position he would realise that they too have every right to fight for position.

I agree entirely.

IMO the penalties were entirely justified. Lewis was overly optimistic at best (coming from too far behind at the apex to 'guarantee' an effective overtake) and as a result both Massa and Maldonado crashed and lost any chance of gaining points.

Personally, I think he should have been DQ'd from the race after the incident with Maldonado, not just handed a 20 second penalty after the race that did not affect him or the points he had gained after causing two accidents.

He drove like an idiot in Monaco largely as a result (I think) of not having to 'come up' through the 'little' teams. Consequently he genuinely believes that the slower drivers should just get out of his way. If he had been in their position he would realise that they too have every right to fight for position.

Master Hamilton has some growing up to do. He also has to prove that he's the real deal without the best car.

Obviously Vettal has oodles of ability and is an excellent driver but for me, as much as i dislike the petulant sulker, Alonso is clearly better than the others and in a Red Bull would tear the field apart, and for the sake of hopefully a competitive season i'm delighted he's in a Ferrari.

Master Hamilton has some growing up to do. He also has to prove that he's the real deal without the best car.

Obviously Vettal has oodles of ability and is an excellent driver but for me, as much as i dislike the petulant sulker, Alonso is clearly better than the others and in a Red Bull would tear the field apart, and for the sake of hopefully a competitive season i'm delighted he's in a Ferrari.

Sadly i have to agree with the growing up point. I do think he needs to mature a bit and generally calm down. Stop shooting off his mouth too.

As far as his driving is concerned, his weak spot is clearly taking unnecessary risks, but that aside, i do believe he has more than proved himself as being right up there. In his debut season, he consistently performed as well as, if not better than Alonso. I repeat, his debut season. This is where Alonso fans pop up and tell us that as Mclaren's own boy he somehow got preferential treatment over the World Champion that they had just signed for millions, and that is why he did so well and why Alonso didn't. If you buy that, that's your choice.

Since then, he has consistently out-performed both of his team mates, both in terms of qualifying - the real test of all out speed - and in terms of finishing position. Again, there will be those who put that entirely down to his position in the team, and again, it's your choice if you choose to believe it.

Anyway, it's pretty well established who favours who around these parts and so debate will probably end in going round in the same old circles...

As far as Monaco was concerned, yes an interesting race. Shame they ruined the ending. Why on earth they allowed teams to work on cars i just don't know. They all should have stayed on the tyres they were already on... and Lewis should have been prevented from restarting due to his car being dangerously damaged.

The penalties against Di Resta and Lewis at Loews were silly, particularly in Lewis's case as he gained no place, but i can see how having penalised Di Resta, there was no other decision they could make. I think that blunder fueled Lewis's frustration, and then being shunted in the back really pushed him over the edge, resulting in the move with Maldonado. That was crazy and i do think he should have been DQ for it.

Anyway, congrats to Vettel for a job well done. Must admit, when he didn't pit during the safety car, i really thought he had screwed his chances and was looking fwd to a Button victory. Alas. Something needs to happen quite quick or else this season is going to be over before long.

Sadly i have to agree with the growing up point. I do think he needs to mature a bit and generally calm down. Stop shooting off his mouth too.

Sadly i have to agree with the growing up point. I do think he needs to mature a bit and generally calm down. Stop shooting off his mouth

too.

Since then, he has consistently out-performed both of his team mates, both in terms of qualifying - the real test of all out speed - and in terms of finishing position. Again, there will be those who put that entirely down to his position in the team, and again, it's your choice if you choose to believe it.

Anyway, it's pretty well established who favours who around these parts and so debate will probably end in going round in the same old circles...

As far as Monaco was concerned, yes an interesting race. Shame they ruined the ending. Why on earth they allowed teams to work on cars i just don't know. They all should have stayed on the tyres they were already on... and Lewis should have been prevented from restarting due to his car being dangerously damaged.

The penalties against Di Resta and Lewis at Loews were silly, particularly in Lewis's case as he gained no place, but i can see how having penalised Di Resta, there was no other decision they could make. I think that blunder fueled Lewis's frustration, and then being shunted in the back really pushed him over the edge, resulting in the move with Maldonado. That was crazy and i do think he should have been DQ for it.

Anyway, congrats to Vettel for a job well done. Must admit, when he didn't pit during the safety car, i really thought he had screwed his chances and was looking fwd to a Button victory. Alas. Something needs to happen quite quick or else this season is going to be over before long.

Rix, we all have our preferred drivers mine has, at least since Lewis made the monkey remark and in him I really hoped we had a winning Brit again, but like perhaps most fans I have several drivers I enjoy watching, Fernando is obviously one and the others are Jenson and of course Sebastan,I have always said he would become a force in the future.

I think if my memory serves me correctly that Lewis and Fernando finished the first season on equal points so I cannot see how Fernando was out driven by Lewis, I have never thought Lewis got prefferential treatment from the team but I think that as he had been around the people for a very long time that perhaps he enjoyed a familiarity that Ferdando didn't.

My own view is that in the past there have been many dubious incidents concerning Fernando, some proven others not.

As far as out qualifying others it matters not, in a lot of cases, at least this years in particular it's the results at the end of the day that count, finishing and getting the points in the bag is what is required.

My problem with Lewis is he does not know when to keep his mouth shut and is always bitching, maybe someone needs to tell him that every driver would like to win, not only him, he appears to have absolutely no respect for other drivers and that half hearted apology to Massa and Maldonado just about sums him up.

Lewis, you can be an exciting driver at times, stop the whinging, control your emotions so you do not make rash mistakes, and yes I for one think you were extremely lucky not to be DQd after the Maldonado incident so remember this, you have to be in it to win it take a good hard long look at yourself.