Farang In Coma, Visa Card Authorization

Doc50

Farang buddy of mine got hit on the head the other night.

Don't know how it happened. Found him a few days later in a coma in hospital.

His son is on the way here from home. Will son be able to authorize Visa card payments on his unconsciousness

Dads card to pay hospital? Anyone know the rules of Visa card international.

They are holding up moving him until some guarantee of payment arrives.

Any info appreciated.

Doc50

As long as the visa card still has credit available then just have the son sign for the bill. Only pay what is needed to proceed to the next step.

The thais dont care who signs as long as they can charge the falang rate and get paid. That's their oath here.

See if you can move him to a public hospital. Same same doctors and less baht.

good luck

I would be careful about calling the credit card company as you are not an authorized signer and it may alert them to block all charges. There are laws in dealing with these things in the US such as getting a power of attorney. Personally I would just present the credit card to the Thai Hospital. Not sure if the Thais know this but the father, after he wakes up, can dispute the charges and they WILL be removed if he didn't authorize them. Hopefully a lawyer will respond or maybe you can have this thread moved to the legal area because the only way you can legally sign for the charges is to be a signer on the card of have some kind of power of attorney. In the US I would imagine this is not a complicated process given the circumstances. However, I am not sure how it works here and not sure that the US credit card company would be obligated to adhere to such an agreement made in a foreign country regarding foreign visitors.

Edit: In fact if you call the CC company and tell them the account holder is in a coma they may suspend the card for security reasons.

Edited by Nisa

Bank will never allow it, because the card is issued into "dads" name so if he was NOT to come out of coma there is no way for the bank to recoup the money.

What son can possibly do is order a secondary card holder, ie another card with him as signatory( he would need to know all the passwords for the account to arrange that)

Another semi legal option is. son can just make any payments and sign. Banks do not check the signatures unless charge back is filed.

Hope your buddy recovers soon and gets well.

Check with the Embassy. I am sure similar situations have occurred.

It might be possible to get access to his bank account to make whatever payments are necessary.

He has been moved. Cash was found. Thanks to all who replied.

Edited by Doc50