Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

ASEAN NOW

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Academic who raised Jason Arday allegations now under investigation

Featured Replies

The academic who raised the Jason Arday allegations is now suspended and under investigation

Prof Cofnas.jpg

Professor Nathan Cofnas was the first person to make the allegations against Arday

An extraordinary twist in the Arday controversy

The extraordinary saga surrounding the late Cambridge professor Jason Arday has taken another dramatic turn.

Nathan Cofnas, the academic who publicly raised allegations of plagiarism against Arday shortly before his death, has now been suspended by Ghent University in Belgium and placed under preliminary disciplinary investigation.

The university says it is examining whether Cofnas's recent public statements amounted to discrimination against Arday.

Cofnas announced the suspension himself on social media, saying he expected the university to fire him.

Ghent University has confirmed that he has been suspended as a precaution while it assesses whether there are sufficient grounds to refer the case to its disciplinary body.

Ghent draws a line under 'academic freedom'

The Belgian university has been careful not to declare Cofnas guilty of anything.

Instead, it has stressed that academic freedom and open debate remain fundamental principles — but they come with responsibilities.

Ghent's rector and vice-rector said academic freedom is not unlimited and may be restricted when necessary to protect the rights of others.

The university said it was "shocked" by Arday's death and that his death should prompt reflection.

For Cofnas, however, the distinction between legitimate academic criticism and discriminatory conduct could now become the centre of a disciplinary battle.

The man who started the latest controversy

Cofnas, a postdoctoral researcher in philosophy and moral sciences, became the central figure in the latest controversy after publishing allegations that parts of Arday's academic work had been plagiarised.

Arday denied the allegations and resigned from Cambridge on August 5, saying his resignation should not be interpreted as accepting the narratives surrounding him.

Cambridge subsequently announced that it would investigate the circumstances surrounding his appointment and career.

Just days later, Arday, 41, was found dead at his home in south London. Police have said his death was unexpected but was not being treated as suspicious.

Two very different questions

And this is where the story needs some care.

Cofnas being investigated does not mean the allegations against Arday have been proved false.

Nor does it mean that Arday was guilty of plagiarism.

Those are separate questions.

Cambridge had already announced an investigation into Arday's academic record before his death, while Arday himself maintained that the allegations and wider narratives about him were unacceptable.

That investigation can now become even more complicated because Arday is no longer alive to respond to questions about his work.

Cofnas has his own controversial history

Cofnas is hardly an unknown figure in the academic culture wars.

He previously held a research position at Cambridge but was dismissed by Emmanuel College in 2024 after controversial writings about race and academic appointments.

His views have attracted fierce criticism, while supporters have portrayed him as a defender of free speech and academic freedom.

That background inevitably colours the debate over his role in the Arday affair.

But it should not, by itself, determine whether the specific allegations he raised were accurate.

That is precisely why proper investigation and evidence matter.

Now the spotlight turns on Ghent

The latest development leaves an extraordinary situation.

An academic who accused a Cambridge professor of serious academic misconduct is now himself facing an institutional investigation into his conduct.

Meanwhile, Arday's family and supporters have accused sections of the media and others of subjecting him to a sustained campaign of misinformation and harassment.

More than 30,000 people reportedly attended a vigil in London following his death, with speakers accusing critics and sections of the press of conducting a vicious campaign against him.

But others have argued that legitimate questions about academic integrity should not be dismissed simply because the person facing those questions later died.

That is the difficult line this entire affair now has to navigate.

The questions are not going away

The tragedy of Jason Arday's death has changed the nature of the controversy, but it has not magically answered the questions surrounding his academic career.

Nor has Ghent University's investigation answered the allegations made by Cofnas.

Instead, Britain now has two separate controversies unfolding at the same time — one concerning the academic record and appointment of a former Cambridge professor, and another concerning the conduct of the academic who brought some of those allegations into the public arena.

And that makes the latest development more than just another chapter in the Arday story.

The man who put the allegations into the spotlight is now under the spotlight himself.

SOURCE

 

Back when the traitorous Vindman was riding the never Trump wave whistleblowers were the lefts favorite things ever. Big big big big taboo to go after a whistleblower. Only a nazi or fascist would do such a thing. Right wokies?

And now? Well like every other leftist narrative, it was pure BS. Now they salivate like starving wolves at the prospect of tearing a man that exposed a major fraud to shreds.

Create an account or sign in to comment

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.