Phuket To Build More Warning Towers

george

Phuket to build more warning towers

PHUKET: -- The southern resort province of Phuket will spend Bt 14 million for the construction of another nine warning towers before the start of the coming high season for tourism in November.

Phuket Govenor Udomsak Assawarangkul today signed a contract with a private company to install warning system at nine additional locations in Phuket, with a budget of Bt 14.65 million (about US$ 366,000).

The installation will be finished in the next two month to be ready in time for the high season that brings thousands of tourists from around world to Phuket's beaches, the governor said.

The warning towers will help boost tourists' confidence, he said. With additional warning towers, the early warning system will cover all areas of the resort island.

There will also be observation towers manned with lifeguards to help rescue tourists on beaches in case of accidents, he said.

--TNA 2005-09-07

There will also be observation towers manned with lifeguards to help rescue tourists on beaches in case of accidents, he said.

--TNA 2005-09-07

Right, and they should make them comfy so the person manning the tower can sleep.

I was at kata Beach a couple weeks ago and the person in the lifeguard tower wasn't watching anything other than foreign women. I'm guessing that once he had his fill he'd take a nap. I've seen lifeguards sleeping on more than one occasion. I've also seen the station un-manned when the waves were unsafe. :o

I wonder what sort of training the lifeguards receive? I also didn't notice and rescue boards (big surfboards) at the station. I wonder how a 140 pound Thai chap will rescue a fat foreign tourist. :D

I wonder if the private company is Shin Corp ? If so, the towers should't cost more than about 50 mill each.......then the authorities can play games and cause panic when they do things like set them off to show the Miss Universe girls how they work......

Remember the little boy who cried wolf....?

--TNA 2005-09-07

Right, and they should make them comfy so the person manning the tower can sleep.

I was at kata Beach a couple weeks ago and the person in the lifeguard tower wasn't watching anything other than foreign women. I'm guessing that once he had his fill he'd take a nap. I've seen lifeguards sleeping on more than one occasion. I've also seen the station un-manned when the waves were unsafe. :o

I wonder what sort of training the lifeguards receive? I also didn't notice and rescue boards (big surfboards) at the station. I wonder how a 140 pound Thai chap will rescue a fat foreign tourist. :D

The lifeguards on Phuket are apparently trained by local OrBorTors. I've not seen too many of the lifeguards manning the towers but have witnessed them taking turns sleeping in the hammock below.

At least, though, there is now a presence of lifeguards on the island. Before the tsunami, too many people drowned each year.

On Nai Harn beach the lifequards have a jetski and- when conditions are particularly dangerous- they are diligent in their patrols calling people out of the water who are swimming in areas with rips despite the red flags.

In time, the training of lifeguards will be improved, hopefully to an international standard. I think the towers are a good thing for beach safety in general.