Rising Prices..

Totster

I was talking to the wife today, and she had just come back from the market. She couldn't believe the prices now for vegetables and eggs etc..

For instance for a small cabbage today she paid bt25, this has risen from bt5-bt10 for a large cabbage in the last 5-6 months, she also said that the price of eggs has risen, possibly doubled... :o

It must be worrying for the poorer folk in Thailand to see the food prices rising so quickly, my wife in particular expressed concern for those on the poverty line..

I imagine this is a result of higher fuel costs, surely the government can see this is happening, why aren't they acting, before it's too late.. :D

totster :D

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But even the increases you mention indicate a 10% increase over 6 months. That would make the REAL inflation (and not the gov. reported 4-5%) for 1 year around 20%!

Those instant noodles are gonna sell well this year.

Cheers!

in my market

egg before 37 bahts for ten , now 40 bahts ( not double )

chiken before 90 bahts now 100 bahts

yes, that sounds more like it! maybe his wife wants a bigger allowance for shopping :o:D

How much of it is seasonal? Just as some foodstuffs (esp vegetables) go up in certain seasons, other stuff goes down. Hence a flattening out of inflation. Aren't their certain fruits that are so cheap these days, it's hard to give them away (longan, rambutan)?

Even in expensive places like Emporium, I can never believe how many bananas I get for the equivalent of a buck. I end up throwing most of them away cos I get tired of eating the bloody things.

Marie Antoinette: 'Let them kin fruit'

I was talking to the wife today, and she had just come back from the market.  She couldn't believe the prices now for vegetables and eggs etc..

For instance for a small cabbage today she paid bt25, this has risen from bt5-bt10 for a large cabbage in the last 5-6 months, she also said that the price of eggs has risen, possibly doubled...  :o

It must be worrying for the poorer folk in Thailand to see the food prices rising so quickly, my wife in particular expressed concern for those on the poverty line..

I imagine this is a result of higher fuel costs, surely the government can see this is happening, why aren't they acting, before it's too late..  :D

totster  :D

a major exageration i think.

Those instant noodles are gonna sell well this year.

One of the great things about the local folk are that they can survive on next to nothing. Rice + fish + grasses and weeds if they need to. One person's creek is another person's free buffet.

Further up the food chain, it means a lot of families can have an extremely high rate of savings.

:o

I was talking to the wife today, and she had just come back from the market.  She couldn't believe the prices now for vegetables and eggs etc..

For instance for a small cabbage today she paid bt25, this has risen from bt5-bt10 for a large cabbage in the last 5-6 months, she also said that the price of eggs has risen, possibly doubled...  :D

I imagine this is a result of higher fuel costs, surely the government can see this is happening, why aren't they acting, before it's too late..  :D

totster  :D

Totster any vegitable price is not fixed. Depends on the season and demond it can change. See now it is rainy season, there may not enough harvest or Cabages might be damaged due to contineous rain. Check the herbs (Koriandar,Pak Hom) like that, during rainy season it will definitely increase. If the rain continues for some more days like last night you can see the price going up and up. Between second week of December and 2 week of Feb is cheapst season for vegitables. :D

In Banglumpoo selected big eggs Bhat 42 for 12. I dont know chicken in market, less higenic and dont know when have cut ? :D , I buy HoyMeat (CP Group's form product). It is packed, packed date, Expairy printed and safe from Birdflu. In an average the price do not cross Bhat 80/KG. :o

In Banglumpoo selected big eggs Bhat 42 for 12. I dont know chicken in market, less higenic and dont know when have cut ?  :D , I buy HoyMeat (CP Group's form product). It is packed, packed date, Expairy printed  and safe from Birdflu. In an average the price do not cross Bhat 80/KG.  :o

NY Today 12 large eggs USD1.59 = 60 baht. On sale can find for $0.99 = 40 baht

F LOS ... too expensive.

Gas today $3.20 / gal

HoyMeat ... not sure but probably about $150 - $200 / 1 - 2 hours (Short time)

I asked the wife about the price of eggs.. she said now 1 egg bt5, before it was bt2-bt3

totster   :o

ps - special thanks to SiamOne for another TROLL post.

That's Ok Tottie, just that I need to laugh a couple of times a day and this subject was a good target

don't be upset, I may be a real troll

In the future, for a good laugh... instead of trolling and aggrevating another TV member completely unnecessarily, try a newspaper.

Mr. T is usually an excellent source for some nice, hearty laughter on a daily basis.

I asked the wife about the price of eggs.. she said now 1 egg bt5, before it was bt2-bt3

That's Ok Tottie, just that I need to laugh a couple of times a day and this subject was a good target

In the future, for a good laugh... instead of trolling and aggrevating another TV member completely unnecessarily, try a newspaper.

Mr. T is usually an excellent source for some nice, hearty laughter on a daily basis.

hey, dont tell me off for nothing

sense of humour is a nice thing, and I was not trolling, whatever that means

and I am sure he can defend himself if he needs to, as he has done previously

just that the subject was not exactly fascinating, and his partner was a bit OTT

hey, dont tell me off for nothing

sense of humour is a nice thing, and I was not trolling, whatever that means

and I am sure he can defend himself if he needs to, as he has done previously

just that the subject was not exactly fascinating, and his partner was a bit OTT

It was not nothing... it was a mean sounding swipe at a member's wife.

That's not a "sense of humor".

There's nothing OTT about his wife's report. Inflation IS very present in Thailand...

Eggs last year 20 baht, this year 40 baht... price doubled.

Almost all commodities are rising quickly... petrol, chief among them, with diesel also nearly doubling in a year.

You dislike when people unnecessarily diss Thailand... that's fine... and I tend to agree... but then you lose all credibility when you diss someone unnecessarily on a very personal level.

sorry... "diss" - degrade, knock, mean-sprited.

There's nothing OTT about his wife's report. Inflation IS very present in Thailand...

Eggs last year 20 baht, this year 40 baht... price doubled.

Almost all commodities are rising quickly... petrol, chief among them, with diesel also nearly doubling in a year.

You dislike when people unnecessarily diss Thailand... that's fine... and I tend to agree... but then you lose all credibility when you diss someone unnecessarily on a very personal level.

sorry... "diss" - degrade, knock, mean-sprited.

oh dear, it was not meant to be mean!! it was a JOKE

I apologise unreservedly to his wife and himself if it caused any unecessary pain

sorry, really Totster, no offence meant :o

Actually, we have had tremendous price rises on the island, every time the new stock comes in on the boat the price has gone up. Onions have gone up 25%, chicken has gone up 25 baht a kilo, all in 3 weeks. We do have seasonal fluctuations here but nothing like this. And usually it isn't chicken. The rising gas prices have given the shippers a reason to gouge prices here, we are held captive to the trucking companies and the ferries.

And just as btw, I am the one who does the shopping and no, I don't have an allowance. I don't think the worry over the poorer people is an exaggeration at all considering the rises I have seen here. Guess all the poorer folks will go back to eating "gai bahn"

Wife or just another Thai HO? Why should fome Thai HO get respect just because fome J-ass married her?

See Mr Moderator, that wasn't me!

nasty and malevolent, not funny at all

Jai yen-yen SiamOne. Khun Larry probably said that because of personal experience.

Jai yen-yen SiamOne. Khun Larry probably said that because of personal experience.

sure, and I get told off because of a harmless joke!!

I have experience of Thai women too, you know!! :D:D

very true... and for most of that input, it's refreshingly welcome... :D

but a few things...

Everyone is familiar with Khun Larry's tremendous inner serenity and his wonderfully peaceful coexistence in Thailand. His complete and total harmony with everyone and everything around here is well documented and known by most. :o

That's why he's essentially ignored by everyone. He's the bitter, old, grumpy uncle that no one in the thaivisa really wants to acknowledge is in the family. We're content to just let him mumble to himself in the corner of the basement.

You certainly don't want to compare yourself with him... :D

You apologized... that was wonderfully mature and respectful and you restore your credibility by doing so. :D

We can all move on now ... wiser and more appreciative of one another...

.....pssst...one last thing... just to be sure you know, the purple words above are sarcasm... I didn't really mean those things... :D

Have a nice day... :D

Edited by sriracha john