Pattaya Police Arrest 2 Frenchmen For Multi Million Baht ATM Fraud

webfact

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Why is it that these ATM frauds are always happening in Pattaya? This question is rhetorical.

This is sin city and is crawling full of sewer rats. So what is the big surprise there. Wait until tomorrow they will have something to report from there again :o

quality goal time for them along with many others now.they will not be doing anything now for a few years but time

I've had my card skimmed twice from the same machine over a 6 month period here on Koh Samui

The ATM machine is located just outside the Bangkok Airways ticket office at koh samui airport

the first time they hit me was for over 16K usd, all purchases were done in NY City as was the second time but the Bank redflagged it the second time around when only 8K was taken

All money was returned but only after about 3 months

The security section of the bank told me Airport ATM's are where these scumbags target as they can skim maybe 20 cards then jump on a flight out and do their dirty business elsewhere

Get the phone book from Paris Hilton's mobile would have been interestingblink.gif

Don't mean to scare anyone, but you ought to know that another way to get card information is through scanning for RFID chips. You can be within ten feet of someone and read their card information, unless it is stored in a magnetized card holder. This of course does not give you the PIN number. More then likely, a fake atm slot device was used.

A similar thing can be done using a bluetooth hack to grab information off of any nearby mobile devices. That is how Paris Hilton had her personal contacts stolen from her phone a few years ago.

french they must from one of the north african parts of the old colonial then , both look distinctly arabian to me not european???????

Thailand is being over-run with gangs of thieves and drug dealers from Africa and the Middle East . They may be French citizens, but their ties as you surmised are probably not European.

lock em up and throw away the key... also, the banks must return all funds to people caught in the middle... time for finger prints to be used as part of an atm pin ? i'm all for it....

not sure about the fingerprints part; a few years ago the Koreans were experimenting with fingerprint doorlocks for high end cars; all went well until thieves went after a top of the line Mercedes, and took the owner's finger off to gain access! needless to say, that particular security mechanism went out of favour pretty promptly...

Don't mean to scare anyone, but you ought to know that another way to get card information is through scanning for RFID chips. You can be within ten feet of someone and read their card information, unless it is stored in a magnetized card holder. This of course does not give you the PIN number. More then likely, a fake atm slot device was used.

Scary. ermm.gif

NOT scarry, plain wrong. Credit card have no RFID capability, you can only read them by scanning the magnetic strip.

you can record the pin number by either using a camera or having a fake keypad on top of the existing one, transferring the click at the same time recording them

oz

My new Credit Card from Kasikorn has no magnetic strip... Use only the Chip. So i guess this is saver than the old credit cards with magnetic strips.

And sometimes i also become a message from the bank, when an amount is booked from the credit card. But not always... Till now it seems, that i become messages from smaller shops.. but when pay at restaurants, then not become any message... So this feature with the message i still not understand complete.

lock em up and throw away the key... also, the banks must return all funds to people caught in the middle... time for finger prints to be used as part of an atm pin ? i'm all for it....

not sure about the fingerprints part; a few years ago the Koreans were experimenting with fingerprint doorlocks for high end cars; all went well until thieves went after a top of the line Mercedes, and took the owner's finger off to gain access! needless to say, that particular security mechanism went out of favour pretty promptly...

you guys should stop believing what you see in movies... a finger print scanner will not only check the image of your finger pattern but also measure capacitance produced by a live finger... so a plastic copy or a dead finger would not work

oz

french they must from one of the north african parts of the old colonial then , both look distinctly arabian to me not european???????

I think that their given names might just give a clue to their origins - Neither of them were called Pierre, Xavier or Jean for example!!!!!

Why is it that these ATM frauds are always happening in Pattaya? This question is rhetorical.

Haha why is it that most crime in Thailand seems to take place in Pattaya? :P

Because that's where all of the holiday makers are maybe???????

they look Jewish to me and so are their names

What*!*!*!*! one has an ever so slightly Arabic name "Ali" - you've got to be kidding!!!!!! HaHaHa :blink:

How card skimming works

The most common form of skimming occurs when you go to use an ATM (automatic teller machine) and don't realise that a false front has been attached to the card reader - where you insert your card. This then captures your card number and transmits it wirelessly to someone waiting nearby.

A hidden camera will also be attached to the machine - perhaps in a leaflet holder, a loose wire or a loose fitting - and this will capture your PIN as you enter it.

Alternatively, criminals will use a keypad overlay that matches up with the buttons of the legitimate keypad below it, recording what is pressed and transmitting it to the fraudsters via a wireless device.

Criminals will then be able to make a copy of your card and use it, along with the PIN, to withdraw funds and buy goods. So the next time you check your bank account, it's likely to be empty.

Another technique used is where your card gets stuck in the machine and a kind passer-by offers to try your PIN for you. When this doesn’t work, the same passer-by then offers to stand guard while you report the problem to the bank. The fraudster than takes the card and uses the PIN you gave him or her to withdraw your cash.

Here are five ways to protect yourself from ATM fraud:

1) Protect your PIN

It goes without saying that you should never carry your PIN on you, in case you get mugged. That includes putting your PIN in your mobile phone as a contact under the name of your bank or an obvious entry like ‘Pin’.

Similarly, protect your pin while you’re at the ATM. Cover it with your hand when you enter it, and don’t ever give it to anyone, especially if there’s a problem with the machine. Some fraudsters have been known to dress in bank uniforms and hang out by the machine, so even official-seeming offers to help should be rejected.

2) Pick your ATMs carefully

Try to only use ATMs inside a bank or those you are familiar with, as you are more likely to spot whether there’s something different about the keypad or the card insert device.

If you must use an ATM at night, avoid dimly-lit areas and opt for ATMs protected by CCTV.

I think that their given names might just give a clue to their origins - Neither of them were called Pierre, Xavier or Jean for example!!!!!

Feel for French natives :unsure:. When the so called '' British '' muslim bombers are in the headlines and their names released which shows there real origins it really pisses me off, want the British way of life but want to kill the native FOR their way of life. :bah:

My new Credit Card from Kasikorn has no magnetic strip... Use only the Chip. So i guess this is saver than the old credit cards with magnetic strips.

And sometimes i also become a message from the bank, when an amount is booked from the credit card. But not always... Till now it seems, that i become messages from smaller shops.. but when pay at restaurants, then not become any message... So this feature with the message i still not understand complete.

Sorry but that's only what the credit card companies thought. If you get close enough with these new skimmers you can get information off the chip. I think this is why police thought acting strangely like standing too close to people at the ATM. Then they get all information. Name pin expire date.

Edited by swifty5x5

you guys should stop believing what you see in movies... a finger print scanner will not only check the image of your finger pattern but also measure capacitance produced by a live finger... so a plastic copy or a dead finger would not work

oz

And hopefully the thief has this obscure knowledge too, and doesn't bother with the removed finger. huh.gif

Sorry but that's only what the credit card companies thought. If you get close enough with these new skimmers you can get information off the chip. I think this is why police thought acting strangely like standing too close to people at the ATM.

you can not get information from a chip on a credit card. You can BY CONTACT ONLY verify that data you entered is correct but there is no way to read what is contained in the chip. You should not make false statement when you obviously have no idea what a chip is or how it works. The ONLY way to get the info is to SEE what key you press on the keypad or have it recorded by a devise sitting on the keypad.

Sorry but that's only what the credit card companies thought. If you get close enough with these new skimmers you can get information off the chip. I think this is why police thought acting strangely like standing too close to people at the ATM.

you can not get information from a chip on a credit card. You can BY CONTACT ONLY verify that data you entered is correct but there is no way to read what is contained in the chip. You should not make false statement when you obviously have no idea what a chip is or how it works. The ONLY way to get the info is to SEE what key you press on the keypad or have it recorded by a devise sitting on the keypad.

Well... they are not yet widespread .. but the new cards can be scanned remotely .....

http://www.engadget....-with-8-reader/

These 2 guys are as French, as France is France nowdays. Last time visited Paris, recognised many beautiful historic places, but was constantly wandering why the famous femmes parisienne are black with square big bums? .... The backlash of old colonial days, I suppose. The question who screwed who is irrelevant. But the bastards rule.:D

Well... they are not yet widespread .. but the new cards can be scanned remotely .....

http://www.engadget....-with-8-reader/

apologies and my bad for not knowing that they would actually release RFID credit card after the bad experience they already had with the RFID Identification documents. Looks like the banks have decided massively to help the thieves.

this in my opinion is madness, after the verification system was cracked a few weeks ago by student in a university, now we add insult to injury by giving away crucial information that the previous chip would not even reveal by contact.

I will check in the progress on this but seriously believe this is not a clever move from the bank.

I do believe though that you still need to add a payment confirmation manually into a terminal (PIN Number), so the risk of paying for someone else is not really existant but again why broadcast your personal data around...