Palm Or Rubber

kelboy

G'day Kel. I am not sure of where you are situated. But if you are not somewhere south of Chumpon down to Krabi, forget it with regards to Palm Oil. It requires a high rainfall and a nearby mill to process the fruit/nuts. As for Rubber, i believe its a little less lucrative than PO, more work and can only be harvested for about 8 months of the year. PO is a year round crop harvested about every 20 days and from what i am told, less work than Rubber. How about moving around in your area and having a good look.

Anyhow mate, good luck, one needs to do something, bars and pole dancers get a little boring after a while and despite what my young friend thinks, is really controlled by females .... lololol.

G'day Kel. I am not sure of where you are situated. But if you are not somewhere south of Chumpon down to Krabi, forget it with regards to Palm Oil. It requires a high rainfall and a nearby mill to process the fruit/nuts. As for Rubber, i believe its a little less lucrative than PO, more work and can only be harvested for about 8 months of the year. PO is a year round crop harvested about every 20 days and from what i am told, less work than Rubber. How about moving around in your area and having a good look.

Anyhow mate, good luck, one needs to do something, bars and pole dancers get a little boring after a while and despite what my young friend thinks, is really controlled by females .... lololol.

Have to disagree, rubber is a better earner than PO, but you have to take into account the extra costs and time needed for rubber to become productive. As a rough guide, if you have taken reasonable care of your rubber trees you should be making about $15,000 Us a year clear profit from 25 Rai of rubber. Don't think you can get that return from 25 Rai of palm oil. Jim

An interesting topic.

My Wife wants me to buy a 20 rai rubber plantation in Surat.

Her 2 brothers both have plantations and have always offered me the opportunity to buy some when a "distressed" sales opportunity comes up at a very good price, but because of my fear of investing too much but in the past I have always declined.

We have been together 9 years now and I want to make sure she has a good business to support herself when I shuffle off.

We live in CM so apart from taking care of the books we would have to rely on her brothers (who are really good people and really love their little sister) to harvest it and sell it. I would have to pay them something for that.

My wife was talking about 3m for the 20 rai, does that sound realistic?

In fact does the whole idea sound realistic to you, any pitfalls I should be looking for?

Many thanks

TP

An interesting topic.

Her 2 brothers both have plantations and have always offered me the opportunity to buy some when a "distressed" sales opportunity comes up at a very good price, but because of my fear of investing too much but in the past I have always declined.

We have been together 9 years now and I want to make sure she has a good business to support herself when I shuffle off.

We live in CM so apart from taking care of the books we would have to rely on her brothers (who are really good people and really love their little sister) to harvest it and sell it. I would have to pay them something for that.

In fact does the whole idea sound realistic to you, any pitfalls I should be looking for?

Many thanks

TP

3 million baht for 20 rai of virgin land or 20 rai of say about 1400 para trees ?????

An interesting topic.

Many thanks

TP

3 million baht for 20 rai of virgin land or 20 rai of say about 1400 para trees ?????

I think she is talking about an established plantation, but it could be a while before a good deal becomes available...I'm prepared to wait.

I just want to know the up and down sides of investing this much cash in something that I will have nothing to do with.

It's really an investment, is it a wise one?

Thanks

TP

Have to disagree, rubber is a better earner than PO, but you have to take into account the extra costs and time needed for rubber to become productive. As a rough guide, if you have taken reasonable care of your rubber trees you should be making about $15,000 Us a year clear profit from 25 Rai of rubber. Don't think you can get that return from 25 Rai of palm oil. Jim

Thats ok James, we can all have our own opinions.

I would be interested to know if anyone has palm oil, what they really do clear. Ball park figure. My figure is what we made last season off my better trees,first year of tappig. Jim

I would be interested to know if anyone has palm oil, what they really do clear. Ball park figure. My figure is what we made last season off my better trees,first year of tappig. Jim

The Palm oil buisness must be doing alright for the TRA to release the following info .. on the 24/01/11

Thailand is planning to reduce its rubber plantations by 815,000 hectares in the South to grow oil palm trees. It will expand rubber plantations in the North and Northeast by 870,000 hectares. A shift in the supply curve is expected from 2012 due to the new planting areas reaching the yielding stage

An interesting topic.

Many thanks

TP

Price is about right, but you will make nothing back if you are not there to take care of business. Have never seen our heard of anyone who has made money from any business who has allowed others to take csre of it. Anyone out there who can controdict me please do. As I said many posts ago where are all the success storys. No one as yet has replied of how well they went. Jim

Hmmm thats not what I wanted to hear Jim?

I would have thought my Wife's brother ,being a full time rubber farmer would have had no problems with it, he loves his baby sister to death, and he would not make a mess of it to have me over, he's a really genuine guy.

Still the same answer Jim ?

If so I'll have to rethink and avoid ways in which my wife can kill me as she has been on at me about doing this for years, and the returns quoted are better than the banks offshore are giving me, and I've said YES, when the right opportunity comes along we will take it.

Oh shit!!

Hmmm thats not what I wanted to hear Jim?

I would have thought my Wife's brother ,being a full time rubber farmer would have had no problems with it, he loves his baby sister to death, and he would not make a mess of it to have me over, he's a really genuine guy.

Still the same answer Jim ?

If so I'll have to rethink and avoid ways in which my wife can kill me as she has been on at me about doing this for years, and the returns quoted are better than the banks offshore are giving me, and I've said YES, when the right opportunity comes along we will take it.

Oh shit!!

Hi Paul

maybe you are looking at this the wrong way, think of it as life insurance for your wife. No matter what happens to you she will be ok. As for how trustworthy her brothers are they will always put there own trees, family and life first. I am not saying that they will rip you off, just that they will take care of number one. No different than any one else. Jim

To start in the rubber business now is probably not such a good idea. With an all time high of about 180 THB/kg, everybody wants to go there. So the existing plantations are expensive and to start a new one, well, consider this: a rubber tree sapling used to cost about 10 Baht, now it's around 60 Baht. And then they need to grow for about 5 years before you can start harvesting.

But if you have already the rubber trees, this is the time of your life. Prices going up and up ...

Palm oil, I am not so sure. The present crisis in supply seems to be rather a case of mismanagement than true shortage. First Thailand exported all and now they have to import back at higher prices and the miller refuse to buy the domestic fruits, making the Thai farmers angry and ruined.

Well, I guess that's what happens when the government tries to meddle into the free market. Government intervention in agriculture inevitably always leads to higher prices for the consumer and lower income for the farmer, while the quality is going down.

Well we got a 20 rai palm plantation and yield about 3.5 to 4 tonnes every 20 days. My father in law takes care of it and we hadn't had a kilo/baht missing, himself he has Palm too.

So I am happy with it. :)

Good to hear you are doing ok, so can you anwser my question. 25 rai more or less than $15,000 US per year clear profit. Jim

An interesting topic.

Many thanks

TP

Price is about right, but you will make nothing back if you are not there to take care of business. Have never seen our heard of anyone who has made money from any business who has allowed others to take csre of it. Anyone out there who can controdict me please do. As I said many posts ago where are all the success storys. No one as yet has replied of how well they went. Jim

Hi Jim ..well I did post but it evaporated into the ether methinks.. reckon your right on the money with your figures AND if you ain't there "taking care" you will be definitely behind the 8 ball ... pitfalls !! a million excuses as to why YOUR revenue continues low in spite of rocketing prices ...lol ..I caught one contracted cutting guy, a few years ago before we were resident in our house on the farm, at 3am filling plastic bags with latex and his wife just riding off with 'em ...he'd been telling us for a week or so that the trees were 'Sick"....

you agree prices are actually that high now??? bloody hell...800k for one of our blocks of 25rai producing trees in 2005!

Well we got a 20 rai palm plantation and yield about 3.5 to 4 tonnes every 20 days. My father in law takes care of it and we hadn't had a kilo/baht missing, himself he has Palm too.

Good to hear you are doing ok, so can you anwser my question. 25 rai more or less than $15,000 US per year clear profit. Jim

Will depend on the price per kilo, but 25 rai of well taken care plantation should yield around 5 tonnes per 20 days.

We fertilize the trees 3 times per year.

To start in the rubber business now is probably not such a good idea. With an all time high of about 180 THB/kg, everybody wants to go there. So the existing plantations are expensive and to start a new one, well, consider this: a rubber tree sapling used to cost about 10 Baht, now it's around 60 Baht. And then they need to grow for about 5 years before you can start harvesting.

But if you have already the rubber trees, this is the time of your life. Prices going up and up ...

Palm oil, I am not so sure. The present crisis in supply seems to be rather a case of mismanagement than true shortage. First Thailand exported all and now they have to import back at higher prices and the miller refuse to buy the domestic fruits, making the Thai farmers angry and ruined.

Well, I guess that's what happens when the government tries to meddle into the free market. Government intervention in agriculture inevitably always leads to higher prices for the consumer and lower income for the farmer, while the quality is going down.

Not so sure that you are correct Dom. My F in L has about 60 rai and doing very well thank you. M in Law has 20 rai and Sis in L has 40 rai of young trees about 3 yrs old. You mention that the govt is meddling. However i do not think it will be such a bad thing whatever they do. The minister looking after the PO industry is a Suratthani man whose family are heavily into the production of PO, some of the biggest growers in fact ! Maybe you have heard of him, the name is Sunthep Thungsuban ! ( deputy PM )

Edited by oldsailor35

An interesting topic.

Many thanks

TP

Hi Jim ..well I did post but it evaporated into the ether methinks.. reckon your right on the money with your figures AND if you ain't there "taking care" you will be definitely behind the 8 ball ... pitfalls !! a million excuses as to why YOUR revenue continues low in spite of rocketing prices ...lol ..I caught one contracted cutting guy, a few years ago before we were resident in our house on the farm, at 3am filling plastic bags with latex and his wife just riding off with 'em ...he'd been telling us for a week or so that the trees were 'Sick"....

you agree prices are actually that high now??? bloody hell...800k for one of our blocks of 25rai producing trees in 2005!

Yes Dave you need to be there, it's not only theft, but laziness. tapper has a pocket load of baht and goes on the piss for a week. Excuse too wet, can't be bothered to keep the grass down [ fire hazard] your not there how would you know. The work just will not get done and in the end you will be out of pocket. We run the place as business, keep on top of it, One tappers wife had a baby a few months ago, can't just say goodbye to 2 weeks of rubber. So we have a few casual tappers on call. They make 50% of the tap without the need to cut grass etc . Good for them and no loss for me. It is all a learning curve, but if you want to make a living you have to take charge. Jim

Will depend on the price per kilo, but 25 rai of well taken care plantation should yield around 5 tonnes per 20 days.

We fertilize the trees 3 times per year.

Not really an answer, I have no idea of the costs of runing a PO plantation, but I know how much I put in te bank at the end of the month/year. You maybe are of independent means, but you must have ome idea of how much your father in law put in your bank last seas0n. Jim

Costs are fertilizer which is around 1000 baht per bag, this costs us about 12 to 14000 baht 3 times per year.

On our 20 rai father in law and I cut the grass ourselves so no costs there.

He got some guys that cut the palm but he is around the check, if the pick up is full we drive it to the wholesaler and sell, get paid immediatelly. example : 2 days ago 3990 kilo - 7.95/kilo= 31720 baht of this father in law gives 1700 to the guys who cut the palm.

As I said, if price is good you make good money, when prices drop..... speaks for it self.

Nothing much more to add of costs all depends on how reliable the people are that work for you if I wouldn't be in the situation where FIL can watch over it I don't think I would risk it.

Fair enough James. But my 68 yr old F in L ( a shrewd old chinaman) has been farming all his life. Now has 60 rai of PO, having changed from rubber some time ago. He is now quite wealthy . M in L has in the last 5 years removed all her rubber and now has her 20 rai mostly under PO. So i guess they know more than i do regarding Rubber v Palm Oil. Incidentially, they are friends of a man called Suthep !

Thanks all

i have 20 rai and after all your comment i think i go with PO,as this sounds easyer?

I have found someone near-buy who is growing and selling and say soon they will build

a place for buying the fruits and this will save on transport costs (i hope)

I have been told to plant about 20 to 25 per rai and in a triangle, can anybody tell me why?

THANKS AGAIN kelvin.

Thanks all

i have 20 rai and after all your comment i think i go with PO,as this sounds easyer?

I have found someone near-buy who is growing and selling and say soon they will build

I have been told to plant about 20 to 25 per rai and in a triangle, can anybody tell me why?

THANKS AGAIN kelvin.

The people who pick/cut the F in L's fruit, transport to the mill as well, all in the price. 20 to 25 per rai, i think its all to do with the eventual size ( spread) of the tree.

A good book for you to get is...............The Oil Palm. by RHV Corley & PB Tinker isbn 0632052120. It will tell you everything that you need to know.

Good luck.

Sorry Jim, have you ever asked a chinese business man how much he earns :lol: I have tried, but the old saying about "getting blood out of a stone" comes to mind !

Thanks all

THANKS AGAIN kelvin.

The people who pick/cut the F in L's fruit, transport to the mill as well, all in the price. 20 to 25 per rai, i think its all to do with the eventual size ( spread) of the tree.

A good book for you to get is...............The Oil Palm. by RHV Corley & PB Tinker isbn 0632052120. It will tell you everything that you need to know.

Good luck.

You maybe right OS35, looks like PO maybe the way to go. I looked at PO may years ago and things have changed [price] and we are looking at adding some more land to our plantation. So will be having a very hard reassesment of the subject. Jim

I did send you a PM !!!

Thanks all

THANKS AGAIN kelvin.

Good luck.

You maybe right OS35, looks like PO maybe the way to go. I looked at PO may years ago and things have changed [price] and we are looking at adding some more land to our plantation. So will be having a very hard reassesment of the subject. Jim

Like i said before somewhere Jim. Both mama & papa have their own land and both have been ripping out rubber and planting Palm oil. In fact the old man actively looks for land owned by failing rubber growers, he says its cheaper than buying a PO farm.

Thanks all

THANKS AGAIN kelvin.

Good luck.

Like i said before somewhere Jim. Both mama & papa have their own land and both have been ripping out rubber and planting Palm oil. In fact the old man actively looks for land owned by failing rubber growers, he says its cheaper than buying a PO farm.

Well I won't be removing rubber to plant PO just yet. We should be braking the 2000 kilo a month barrier this year and at over $6 US a kilo think we can get by. Not a greeding man and better to stay with what I know. Jim