What I Can Expect From Living In Usa After Thailand?

Lorin

I am planning to live in Los Angeles for few months this coming summer. I been living in Thailand for the past 8 years, so I am sure its gonna be very different in US. I own online business so wont need a work there, just explore California, gym, tennis, watersports...what should I expect? So the cars and food gonna be cheaper, no easy asian gals, what else?

It depends how young and handsome you are. If you are over 40 then you can forget women entirely, and what IS available you wouldn't want anyway.You get spoiled that way in Thailand. It also depends on your financial situation. Food and accommodation will be MUCH higher in the USA, but if you buy anything other than cheap, Asian cotton goods then it will be cheaper. Vehicles are much cheaper but repair work will be much more. Anything in the service industry is much more expensive than Thailand.

And, you can't buy off the police for a minor traffic infraction. You'll pay at least 10 times as much for a simple offence.

It depends how young and handsome you are. If you are over 40 then you can forget women entirely, and what IS available you wouldn't want anyway.You get spoiled that way in Thailand. It also depends on your financial situation. Food and accommodation will be MUCH higher in the USA, but if you buy anything other than cheap, Asian cotton goods then it will be cheaper. Vehicles are much cheaper but repair work will be much more. Anything in the service industry is much more expensive than Thailand.

And, you can't buy off the police for a minor traffic infraction. You'll pay at least 10 times as much for a simple offence.

I'm 35, what you mean it depends on my financial situation? Nice car and condo will get me more girls? I dont like Thai food and every time I spend lots in Villa Market on the foods that anyway imported from US, so same food should be cheaper there? Regarding accommodation, what I can get in LA for 1500 USD? I wont play games with police there, I know it from my home country, I will be a good boy..:-)

look on craigslist for apartments.

I was told that i will need to show some legal papers in order to rent apartment in US, and my only option as a tourist is to rent with a room mate, is it true?

LA has the highest concentration of Thai people outside of Thailand so that should be a help. I think your main problem will be boredom. The USA has it's pluses but it will never be as invigorating as Thailand.

Yes, my ex gf living there as well, but she is married, and some friend around, but i will try to keep myself busy and find likeminded people for sport and other activities. The thing that I learned from visiting Miami before, that ppl tend not to go out at night time, very unlike Thailand.

You will be able to walk along the pavements/side walks without obstructions.

You will be able to drive with other right minded folk.

You will be amazed at what a beach that isn't littered with sh*te will look like.

The restaurant food will be more expensive, but you will be served what you actually ordered and there will be no mangey dogs licking their balls in the kitchen.

Even if you are over 40 you can find a women. People do it all the time. You may however find it a little more difficult to find a teenage hottie to attach to your arm.

On my short visit to California I found it to be a great place. Returning to the chaos and mess of Thailand was quite depressing. My Thai wife agreed.

So the cars and food gonna be cheaper, no easy asian gals, what else?

There are over 4 million Asians in CA, asian chicks are not a problem, mostly Filipino, Korean, Chinese, Japanese, very few Thais (about 2% of Asians). White people are only 40% of the population, very diverse place. Lots of LA is a dump, think you'd be better off in the SF Bay Area if you're just spending some vacation time somewhere. Better weather and public transport, not as many/bad ghettos, just everything is better imo. Santa Barbara or SD are nice too.

You will be able to walk along the pavements/side walks without obstructions.

Depends on where you are and what color you are on what kind of 'obstructions' you'll find. Not to mention the aggressive beggars you find at night in some urban places.

You will be amazed at what a beach that isn't littered with sh*te will look like.

Depends on the beach, I've seen some littered with rotting sea mammal corpses that had spray painted by gang bangers, and the bushes were filled with garbage (heavy wind unlike Thailand so it gets blown back from the sand). The water is freezing in all of them regardless if they're clean or not. Aside from a few like Pattaya, I much prefer beaches in Thailand

You will be able to drive with other right minded folk.

Driving in LA rush hour, what a joy THAT is. Less motorbikes to watch out for though, that is a big plus.

The BIG advantage is food, you can easily find cheap and awesome food from anywhere in the world. And wine, cheap and great.

You are young, that is one plus. The city of angels is anything but, depending on your neighbourhood. You can get killed quite easily just by wandering into the wrong neighbourhood... depending on your skin colour. And, if you piss someone off while driving in California then you might get yourself shot. Half the population are carrying guns... and will use them. Don't expect mercy from the police. They shoot people on the ASSUMPTION that the person they are shooting at has done something wrong. Seattle is just as bad, if not worse.

There ARE a few cheap places to eat, and all the fast food outlets are not much more than the prices in Thailand. If you cook for yourself then you can eat quite reasonably and with a bigger selection than Thailand. As others have said, you CAN actually walk on sidewalks and vehicles actually DO stop for red lights. Drivers DO pay attention to cross-walks. Drivers DO stay in their own lane and on the proper side of the road. Roads are usually wide enough to park vehicles without blocking everyone else. But, you WILL be charged a lot for parking your vehicle in the many car parking lots.

I've stayed in Los Angeles many times, but I don't really like big cities. If you get away from the big cities you'll find the Americans are very friendly and nice people... and actually willing to help. And, like people in most countries, if you walk around like you own the joint, and with a smile on your face, then you shouldn't have any problems.

One thing you might miss is the lawlessness which happen to enjoy.

I like the idea of riding my motorcycle on the sidewalk and nobody cares.

If you do this in America you will make the news.

And whatever you do. Do not smile or heaven forbid actually touch any children, regardless of your relationship with them.

It is my home and there are many things I do miss, but the sacrifice is not worth it. Personally.

LA is huge...have you narrowed down where you will live? I lived in SoCal for 20 years (downtown, Manhattan Beach, Newport Beach, San Diego). Miss it terribly...and also don't. Traffic is horrible, weather is great, air can be so/so. If you are lucky and don't have to commute, fantastic!

There is so much to do in California. Fantastic parks (Yosemite, Sequoia, Redwoods, Joshua). Great cities (Santa Barbara, San Diego, San Fran, Monterey). Fantastic beaches. Thailand has nothing like them...a few in Phuket, but that's it. Be sure to visit the human zoo in Venice. More bikinis than you can ever imagine. I lived right on the beach for years...walked out my sliding door and stepped on the sand. Great stuff.

You will not be bored. Eat some great mexican food, enjoy the outdoors, get out and visit Idyllwild or Big Bear. Palm Springs and take the trap to the mountains. Concerts, festivals...Just too much to do.

Cheap eats are tough to come by. Nothing like what we have here. But as you mention, some things will be much cheaper. Steak and wine!!!!!

I prefer being closer to the beaches as opposed to inland. People pack the boardwalks day and night. Great bars, though drinks are not cheap.

Have a blast and enjoy it while you can.

One thing you might miss is the lawlessness which happen to enjoy.

I like the idea of riding my motorcycle on the sidewalk and nobody cares.

If you do this in America you will make the news.

And whatever you do. Do not smile or heaven forbid actually touch any children, regardless of your relationship with them.

It is my home and there are many things I do miss, but the sacrifice is not worth it. Personally.

Plenty of people care...like us pedestrians trying to walk down the sidewalk! :annoyed: It's just that here, you won't get arrested...unfortunately...

Good point, the do-gooders and politically correct have gone overboard in North America. Adults are not allowed to like children... even your own grandkids.

But, as already pointed out, there is much to enjoy about California. It's the most free thinking state of the United States. And, the Venice beach lovelies ARE worth watching, But us old guys can't touch... just look. In Thailand I can both look and touch.

LA is huge...have you narrowed down where you will live? I lived in SoCal for 20 years (downtown, Manhattan Beach, Newport Beach, San Diego). Miss it terribly...and also don't. Traffic is horrible, weather is great, air can be so/so. If you are lucky and don't have to commute, fantastic!

There is so much to do in California. Fantastic parks (Yosemite, Sequoia, Redwoods, Joshua). Great cities (Santa Barbara, San Diego, San Fran, Monterey). Fantastic beaches. Thailand has nothing like them...a few in Phuket, but that's it. Be sure to visit the human zoo in Venice. More bikinis than you can ever imagine. I lived right on the beach for years...walked out my sliding door and stepped on the sand. Great stuff.

You will not be bored. Eat some great mexican food, enjoy the outdoors, get out and visit Idyllwild or Big Bear. Palm Springs and take the trap to the mountains. Concerts, festivals...Just too much to do.

Cheap eats are tough to come by. Nothing like what we have here. But as you mention, some things will be much cheaper. Steak and wine!!!!!

I prefer being closer to the beaches as opposed to inland. People pack the boardwalks day and night. Great bars, though drinks are not cheap.

I agree. While as a Texan it pains me to no end to say this. California is probably the best place in terms of quality of life. If I had to show off America. I would show them California.

BTW-God bless Texas :)

That's the way we saw it. I'm sure there are rough spots but I doubt you just automatically get shot for walking in them. Some folk love to sensationalize. And if you do then just don't go down that street.

As for touching kids, I don't particularly want strangers touching my kids. Who does?

That's the way we saw it. I'm sure there are rough spots but I doubt you just automatically get shot for walking in them. Some folk love to sensationalize. And if you do then just don't go down that street.

As for touching kids, I don't particularly want strangers touching my kids. Who does?

Unfortunately, every metro city in the world has bad spots...and LA is no different. Plenty of places I would hate to have my car crap out on me. Watts, S Central LA, etc. Pretty rough areas...but easily avoided...and no tourist attractions...other than Watts Tower! :lol:

You think? Take a drive through S. Central.

Your right about the part, don't go down that street. Unfortunately it's not that easy for a foreigner to realize.

I enjoy California. LA not so much.

People in our neighborhood play with children all the time. Who can stress over that?

I don't mind at all. It reminds me of when I was a kid, before television scared the shit out of everyone.

Despite the plethora of good restaurants in the US, and in LA alone, for that matter, be prepared for some pretty weak Thai food. Even in the Thai area, the food just isn't up to snuff. But as far as grocery stores, the prices for the types of food you buy at Villa Market is less and the quality far better.

As far as dating, excepting the Thai-style bar scene, I find it much easier to find a date in the US than here. Language undoubtedly makes a huge difference, but I think it also hits on the relative dating cultures.

Since you are only going to be there temporarily, just enjoy yourself, immerse yourself in what is available, and don't bemoan what you can't get that is available in Thailand.

Despite the plethora of good restaurants in the US, and in LA alone, for that matter, be prepared for some pretty weak Thai food. Even in the Thai area, the food just isn't up to snuff. But as far as grocery stores, the prices for the types of food you buy at Villa Market is less and the quality far better.

As far as dating, excepting the Thai-style bar scene, I find it much easier to find a date in the US than here. Language undoubtedly makes a huge difference, but I think it also hits on the relative dating cultures.

Since you are only going to be there temporarily, just enjoy yourself, immerse yourself in what is available, and don't bemoan what you can't get that is available in Thailand.

Agree. Forget about Thailand and enjoy America.

Your right about the part, don't go down that street. Unfortunately it's not that easy for a foreigner to realize.

Yeah. And it's not just a 'street' or two you don't want to go down, it's entire enormous areas. Shouldn't stop him from enjoying himself though, just don't walk around these places after dark. But there is nothing remotely like it in Thailand.

Yeah. And it's not just a 'street' or two you don't want to go down, it's entire enormous areas. Shouldn't stop him from enjoying himself though, just don't walk around these places after dark. But there is nothing remotely like it in Thailand.

Whenever I am in LA around lunchtime or sometimes for dinner, depending on my mood, I head into South Central (or South LA, as they call it now) for some of the best fried chicken in the country. I am usually the only white face there, but I have never had a problem and have actually been made to feel more than welcome at any of the handful of places to which I go. Food transcends strife, in my experience.